What binoculars do you use while on Safari?

Terrain is very relevant.

I always carry vortex 10x42s, but have hardly ever used them in Africa when stalking game. I've mostly used them for looking at some pretty animal in the distance that I wasn't hunting. Your trackers have eagle eyes and will spot and initiate stalks on animals with the naked eye, never even giving you a chance to look through binos.

Swarovski 10x42s. I have had them about 10 years, love them.

8x30 Zeiss "Safari"... from the 1970s, all I need.
20240209_192124.jpg

HWL

I have a pair of Swarovski 8x32 binoculars that I brought on safari. I never thought they lacked magnification or that I wasn't able to see clearly enough. 10x binoculars can be too large to handle without a lot of binocular movement, due to their weight.

I also have a pair of Leica 10x25 Trinovids. They are great for daylight use and are very small and pocketable. When I went on safari, I wish I would have had a pair because sometimes, I was walking around and wished I'd had some binoculars. Still, I think I'd get two pairs of full-size binoculars. You don't want to be fighting over the large binoculars and let the wildlife slip away.

For many years for all of my US and foreign hunting I used Nikon 8x23 or 9x25 pocket binoculars.

Then after my New Zealand hunt in 2014 I got a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42s that I'll probably use for all of the rest of my hunting.

Swarovski 10x42 EL Range. I have been using them for the last 10 years and they still work great. Bought a couple more for the kids from Mark Biggerstaff and they made for great Christmas presents for them last year!

HH
Just so you know, I'm putting myself up for adoption before next Christmas. Interested?

Consider where you are hunting. In tight areas, lots of jess, then Swarovski 8x30 are plenty.
In more open areas, I use Leica Geovid 10x42 with ranging capability. My wife uses Swarovski 10x40 and we carry a 15x56 in the truck.

Use whatever brand that your eyes like and that you can adjust easily.

Most PH's seem to use 8x vs 10x, but that may just be personal choice.

The older I get the more I like 10x.

If the PH and I have history, of the good kind, then I trust his judgement and don't bother with glass other than what's on top of the rifle.

He does his job, and I do mine.

Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 rangefinding binos for most hunting, but they can be heavy and overpowered for some hunts.

My backup for heavy cover and light travel is a Leica Rangemaster CRF-3500.COM with 7x zoom.

If I were to get another set, it would be in the 6x32 or 8x32 range but it would still have rangefinding capability. Probably another Leica product.
I bought a pair of Leica 8x32 Geovid pro when they came out and am extremely happy. The glass and range finding works extremely well.

KILO10K-ABS HD​

Before I brought mine I did a lot of looking through mates bins:whistle:;) to find what I wanted. I tried a lot of the top brands, most were good but the best for my eyes were Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide 10X42. These just work in those first/last moments of light when it really counts. Also they don’t brake the bank.
When we went on SafarI last year even the guide wanted a pair. He’d looked few more than a few and loved mine.
If it was thick bush I’d may consider some smaller ones. Maybe…..but recon I’ll just train harder so I can carry them.:)
I did just now have a look through some Bushnell mono 10x42. Nice and compact. Who knows how good they are in low light though.

Thread is getting a bit dated, but a question. Is “last light” performance as important in Africa as North America? Deer, elk, etc, so much game movement and shooting opportunities are in the first and last 30 minutes in the US. Is Africa the same? This really plays into objective diameter - 32 vs 42.

If the PH and I have history, of the good kind, then I trust his judgement and don't bother with glass other than what's on top of the rifle.

He does his job, and I do mine.
I wouldn't consider going on a hunting trip without binos... for more reasons that just spotting and sizing up game to hunt. There are thousands of things to check out that you either can't or shouldn't get close to.

I wouldn't consider going on a hunting trip without binos... for more reasons that just spotting and sizing up game to hunt. There are thousands of things to check out that you either can't or shouldn't get close to.
On my first several safaris I did not take a pair of binos, now that I have learned to do so, you are correct, there are far more things to have binos for than sizing up game from a distance. I'm a big fan of the 8x30/32 size as they are lightweight and you do not really notice you are carrying them.

I can't think of many things that enhance being in the outdoors, for any reason, more than a good set of binos. Waterfalls to waterbuck, moose to mice, falcons to flowers... I've gawked at all of them through binos.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I hunt for the entire experience, not just pulling the trigger. I want to see more animals and even birds that I cannot see in the US. I'm not a bird watcher in general. But Cory bustards, lilac breasted rollers, weaver bird nests, horn bills etc. were really interesting. I carried a pair of Nikon 10x42's and brought a pair of Vortex 8x28's for my wife. She doesn't hunt but had a good time looking at stuff we can't see at home. Neither pair of binocs are really expensive, hut both are sharp and clear.

No matter what continent I am hunting on, I want binoculars on me almost as much a rifle.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I hunt for the entire experience, not just pulling the trigger. I want to see more animals and even birds that I cannot see in the US. I'm not a bird watcher in general. But Cory bustards, lilac breasted rollers, weaver bird nests, horn bills etc. were really interesting. I carried a pair of Nikon 10x42's and brought a pair of Vortex 8x28's for my wife. She doesn't hunt but had a good time looking at stuff we can't see at home. Neither pair of binocs are really expensive, hut both are sharp and clear.

No matter what continent I am hunting on, I want binoculars on me almost as much a rifle.

same here - I never really considered myself a birder, but 11 days in Kenya cured me of that. The birdlife there was unbelievable.

Thread is getting a bit dated, but a question. Is “last light” performance as important in Africa as North America? Deer, elk, etc, so much game movement and shooting opportunities are in the first and last 30 minutes in the US. Is Africa the same? This really plays into objective diameter - 32 vs 42.
No, last light is not as important. In NA, I’ve had many shots on game at first/last light, it has been common for me.
Africa will likely be different. Depending on what you are hunting and where, the PH may not want to be shooting at dark since it may be difficult to track if the shot is not perfect. It also may not be advisable to be tracking a wounded animal in the dark, since you might not be the only predator on the trail.

With that said, if you are buying binoculars, definitely consider all use into the equation. You will be well served by excellent glass, not just for Africa, but for a few decades of using the binoculars!

No, last light is not as important. In NA, I’ve had many shots on game at first/last light, it has been common for me.
Africa will likely be different. Depending on what you are hunting and where, the PH may not want to be shooting at dark since it may be difficult to track if the shot is not perfect. It also may not be advisable to be tracking a wounded animal in the dark, since you might not be the only predator on the trail.

With that said, if you are buying binoculars, definitely consider all use into the equation. You will be well served by excellent glass, not just for Africa, but for a few decades of using the binoculars!
Thank you, that is helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.