What are the Ins and Outs of a Leopard Hunt

Isn't .375(or 9.3mm) the minimum for most countries though since leopards are considered a dangerous game species? Or are there different rules since they're so light?
I can't speak from personal experience with regard to Zim or Tanzania, but in Namibia or Mozambique the PH will be relieved his client isn't using a .375 or larger on a leopard.

Regardless of who you hunt with, check out this thread https://www.africahunting.com/index.php?threads/57616/

Nathan Askew from @Bullet Safaris hosted a great Zoom safari on how he hunts Leopard in Tanzania. I honestly didn't have much interest in Leopard hunting, but attended the Zoom out of curiosity. Now, they're on my list.

I know the OP was interested in over dogs or stalking, and the Zoom was for a blind, but I still think it's worth watching. I've rewatched it twice, and I was there. It covers quotas, baiting, blind setup, ammo, etc. Absolutely worth your time.

I started it and about half way through it....VERY informative. Thanks!

I can't speak from personal experience with regard to Zim or Tanzania, but in Namibia or Mozambique the PH will be relieved his client isn't using a .375 or larger on a leopard.

Would a 9.3x62 using a 230 grain round be a good choice or should I stick with the 300 win mag? Know you said you would go 30 cal next trip, but just curious. Another member recommended a 150 grain round for the 300 wm, but that is a hot round (3200 + fps) and if shooting from a blind that’s not going to be a long shot by any means. I’ve got my 300 wm dialed in for 180 grain rounds (2900 fps) but can always adjust if the 150’s are a better choice.

Going to SA for my first Africa PG hunt in April but already thinking about a second trip for DG, in particular a leopard hunt, and have some questions.

First, can you bring the leopard back into the US for a full body mount?
Second, are leopard hunted via stocking or just over bait/blind. Read one post that said over dogs is done but would like some clarification of hunting methods used for leopard. I’m not particularly fond of blind hunting.
Third, in which country(s) should I start looking for this type of hunt? I don’t believe SA is an option, but maybe that’s not accurate.
Fourth, assuming I take this plunge, which DG caliber should I plan on taking? Guessing 375 H&H or 404 Jeffery would be both legal and good choices.

Thanks to all the experienced AH members and your feedback. Learn a ton on this forum.
Leopard is on everyone’s mind as they begin to hunt Africa. It’s the logical next step in my mind after a few PG hunts although many will say buffalo. It’s tough, it’s expensive, (it can be really expensive as the success rates have gone down and many of us took several trips to get one), and it’s dangerous.
You can hunt leopard many places most practically Zim, Namibia, and Zambia. In Zim you can blind hunt over bait or use hounds. Everywhere else you will be hanging nasty rotten meat day after day and sitting in blinds. Hound hunting is he most exciting but the most dangerous. Read my leopard story FMI.
You do not need .375 for leopard and .300 Win with Swift Sicorro II would be really good medicine.
It took me three safaris, 40 days afield, to get a spotted cat that nearly got me!
regards,
Philip

Would a 9.3x62 using a 230 grain round be a good choice or should I stick with the 300 win mag? Know you said you would go 30 cal next trip, but just curious. Another member recommended a 150 grain round for the 300 wm, but that is a hot round (3200 + fps) and if shooting from a blind that’s not going to be a long shot by any means. I’ve got my 300 wm dialed in for 180 grain rounds (2900 fps) but can always adjust if the 150’s are a better choice.
I personally think a quality 180 gr SP from a .30 cal of any type is ideal - particularly from a .300 mag.

When weighing prices, remember that leopards are different. Success rate of your PH is EVERYTHING. I went with a PH with tremendous success rate and took mine on the fourth evening. I have a friend planning his fourth 14-day attempt. The previous three were really good deals.

Thanks mucho for the PH recommendations and links!!

I thought a 375 H&H or larger was required for some reason. My Merkel RX Helix with the 300 win mag barrel would be my first choice using the Barnes 180 grain TTSX rounds. Holds 4+1 with extremely fast follow up shots. That‘s what I would use for mountain lion so it should work equally well on leopard as they are about the same size cat.
Wack ‘em!

Last edited:
I personally think a quality 180 gr SP from a .30 cal of any type is ideal - particularly from a .300 mag.

When weighing prices, remember that leopards are different. Success rate of your PH is EVERYTHING. I went with a PH with tremendous success rate and took mine on the fourth evening. I have a friend planning his fourth 14-day attempt. The previous three were really good deals.
Been there!

Isn't .375(or 9.3mm) the minimum for most countries though since leopards are considered a dangerous game species? Or are there different rules since they're so light?
Not in most cases.

I had a PH tell me they lost more leopards with .375 than anything.

I’m a firm believer in “you get what you pay for” and would rather wait for the best than go for the bargain as they more than likely aren’t at the end of the day. Didn’t think the pricing was out of line, just makes you kind of gulp when you first look at it :)

I’ll stick with my 300 win mag. It’s a tack driver with 180 grain rounds.

I dont want to hijack the OP's thread.

However, following up on his questions on using the 375 H&H.

I have a 10 day Buff, Livingstone eland and gemsbuck, with hippo, croc, and leopard as opportunity animals, hunt scheduled for May in Zimbabwe, followed by a 10 day hunt in SA for Cape eland, warthog, baboon and other smaller plains game.

The only firearms (PHs' recommendation) I'll be taking are 375 H&H and 30-06 rifles and 44 mag revolver.

375 ammo will be 300 grain solids and softs.
30-06 ammo will be 165 &168 grain bullets, SST's and Barnes TTSX's.
44 ammo will be 200 and 240 grain semi jacketed soft points.

Of the 3 weapons of choice, should leopard become an option, which weapon and ammo selection would be best suited to quickly dispatch a leopard?

I have a 10 day Buff, Livingstone eland and gemsbuck, with hippo, croc, and leopard as opportunity animals, hunt scheduled for May in Zimbabwe, followed by a 10 day hunt in SA for Cape eland, warthog, baboon and other smaller plains game.

The only firearms (PHs' recommendation) I'll be taking are 375 H&H and 30-06 rifles and 44 mag revolver.

Of the 3 weapons of choice, should leopard become an option, which weapon and ammo selection would be best suited to quickly dispatch a leopard?

Based on all the comments and messages I’ve been getting, it would appear the 30-06 with the 168 grain TTSX would be the preferred option of those you are taking. That would certainly take care of a big mountain lion, so should also work well on a leopard.

Ridge Runner, If you have both rifles with you on the hunt, personally I would my choose the 375. I am firm believer the bigger bullet place accurately the better off you are and why wouldn't choose the 375. The longest shot from most tree or even grounds for DG is maybe 75 yards. Times have changed and so has the quality of bullet designs, but when I took both my leopards nothing smaller than a 375 was allowed for DG.

Oh the best part get used to sleeping on mountain top rocks...I took my wife on my second Leopard hunt for our Second Honeymoon...She shot our bait animals...I slept more with my PH than I did with my wife...

View attachment 366182

View attachment 366183

Hey Fred, just looking at the bottom pic....did you guys just lay out in the open like shown in the pic or is this before you built a blins?

Just wondering

Hey Fred, just looking at the bottom pic....did you guys just lay out in the open like shown in the pic or is this before you built a blins?

Just wondering
We were on top of a cliff looking down on the bait in a canyon and a water hole in a cave so we just covered up with blankets... The day I arrived home my PH sent me these...

44660622_320485085197282_4672251418147553280_n.jpg

44834463_514920882308364_8271352923213004800_n.jpg

I suggest you go ask @Jonny blues for advice. If I remember correctly he bagged a simply superb leopard a year or so ago. Best of luck!! (y)

im asking because I wonder if the leopard saw you right out in the open without a blind
We were 40 ft@ above the canyon floor. Range to bait 85yards.... We were in the open but the leopard tracks we found were all in the canyon going to the water hole cave. We were exposed on top of the cliff...We both wondered "what If" this night the leopard decided tp patrol the canyon rim??? could have been interesting?
fullsizeoutput_4fc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_500.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_508.jpeg

Lol yes that’s what I was thinking too! That and if what if he saw movement and looked up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.