What are the different type of Kudu?

In my opinion Kudu is an "iconic" African trophy. My first safari was to the Limpopo Province of South Africa, I went with my two sons. We all had the same six animal "package" but each of us exchanged one animal for something different. I swapped my Kudu for a Waterbuck and wouldn't you know it, I saw lots and lots of Kudu but only two Waterbuck. This July, Kudu is one of the main species on my agenda. Like you, I'm looking forward to taking a nice one. Let your outfitter and PH know in advance what you consider nice and they will help you get it.

@FallowJaeger, you pose interesting questions. Before answering, it would be helpful to attend to some definitional issues.

First, you use the term "quality animal". Secondly, you say "best animal".

While many of us might agree on what the terms mean, I know that many others of us would not. For me, a "quality animal" is any animal which has not been handled in the manner of livestock, and which can be hunted in a fair chase manner, even allowing for fences (properties large enough for the animal to live out the normal life and behaviour of such animals in the wild).

Equally, for me, the " best animal" is almost never the one with the biggest horns, or the largest mass, or whatever. I look for old animals which, while they might not have the best horns, have gotten old by being smart. Alone is better, and past breeding is best.

This is not to say that those who look to achieve a record, SCI or Rowland Ward, are not right. When I went elephant hunting, my goal was 50 pounds a side or better (which shows you the variety of responses you can get to your question). We all have goals, and mine include the nine spiral horned and the tiny ten, for example. If your goals include a 60" kudu, then by all means go for it.

I would say this though, by way of general advice. Look for a big property. Big is of course relative, but it has to be big enough for animals to live and die "naturally." There are so many BIG properties in South Africa and Namibia that you don't need to settle for a small property. And tell your PH that you want to hunt, not shoot, and that you want to get as close as possible to the animal. You will bust more stalks that way, but if you aren't focused on how many animals you can shoot in a day (as I was on my first safari to South Africa), the experience will be worth it.

I also recommend you not shoot from a vehicle, because that's not really hunting. I have done that and while it is legal in most of Southern Africa (depends a bit on the country and type of property), to me it's shooting (which is fine if that's what you want), but it's not hunting.

Good luck with the first hunt!

@Hank2211, thank you so much for answering my questions and giving great advice. You are speaking my language.

I want to go on a classic spot and stalk hunt in Africa, the dream is to glass and get as close as possible and take a mature older animal. I want to have the full experience.

In my opinion Kudu is an "iconic" African trophy. My first safari was to the Limpopo Province of South Africa, I went with my two sons. We all had the same six animal "package" but each of us exchanged one animal for something different. I swapped my Kudu for a Waterbuck and wouldn't you know it, I saw lots and lots of Kudu but only two Waterbuck. This July, Kudu is one of the main species on my agenda. Like you, I'm looking forward to taking a nice one. Let your outfitter and PH know in advance what you consider nice and they will help you get it.

Good luck with your hunt for Kudu this July. How was hunting in Limpopo? You package sounds like a good deal. I strongly feel that on my first safari I'll have to hunt Kudu as part of it. Thank you for your comments.

Good luck with your hunt for Kudu this July. How was hunting in Limpopo? You package sounds like a good deal. I strongly feel that on my first safari I'll have to hunt Kudu as part of it. Thank you for your comments.

My latest copy of SCI's Awards Magazine lists 5 sub species of Greater Kudu: Southern, Eastern Cape, East African, Abyssinian, and Western; plus the Lesser Kudu.

To me, the Kudu bull is to Africa as a bull Elk is to North America.

I shot a Southern Greater Kudu in the Limpopo Province on my first South African hunt in 2000, and an Eastern Cape Kudu in 2007. Both were shot in the months of September. Both have 48-49" horns. The only difference that I see in the mounts of these two Kudu is that the neck of my Eastern Cape bull is smooth with short hair except for the very top of the neck (mane) and the bottom of the neck. My Southern Greater Kudu has relatively long hair on all of his neck, and the hair on the top of his neck is longer than it is on my Eastern Cape bull.

I saw a couple of totally wild Kudu bulls in Zimbabwe when I hunted there in 2005, and on my last hunt with Simon in Mozambique, we saw at least a half dozen mature totally wild Kudu bulls.

Then the question becomes, what is the best area to go hunt Kudu in?

This should be interesting!

The best place to hunt KUDU is ANYWHERE they are and EVERY chance you get. Just my humble opinion. Cheers and best of luck

I think Limpopo is probably a persons best chance at a monster 60+” kudu.

Then the question becomes, what is the best area to go hunt Kudu in?

My question is what part of South Africa or Namibia is best for the experience of a great spot and stalk Kudu hunt? Limpopo for 60 inch Kudu sounds great but a spot and stalk with a shot as close as one can get (I like to be close to an animal). Any advice or good outfitters suggestions would be wonderful. Kudu hunting tips or experiences are greatly welcomed.

Sent you a p.m. (y)

When I spotted my first big kudu, my heart lept, I felt goosebumps and got a chill in my spine.

I had taken several animals earlier in the safari but that kudu gave me a case of buck fever that I had never experienced in my life. It was magic.
IMG_20180311_105926.jpg

When I spotted my first big kudu, my heart lept, I felt goosebumps and got a chill in my spine.

I had taken several animals earlier in the safari but that kudu gave me a case of buck fever that I had never experienced in my life. It was magic. View attachment 232711

Mate, I hope I can have Buck fever over a Kudu like yours. Thanks for sharing, what a wonderful animal.!

Took mine in Namibia and yes some areas were hard hit but not all. I would definitely suggest Namibia for a good kudu.

16BFB924-B7CE-4DE1-850F-F99E4BA1F19F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross