WARNING: Temp gun ban on SAA flight thru London

Havent gone thru UK since 1990 on my Botswana trip. I do remember there was some issue and all the passengers on my just landed flight had to go thru extra security exams and in the process my camera got nicked by someone on the ground.:mad::mad::mad::mad: Going Delta this year for the first time, even paid extra for comfort seating. Hope it goes well.:cautious::cautious::whistle:
Son and I just returned Sunday morning from S.A. on Delta from Atlanta. There were no issues or problems at all. Just a very long flight. The most time consuming bit pertaining to the guns very having customs check the serial numbers in Atlanta on return. Process was smooth, just a lot of returning hunters in line for the check and to retrieve their firearms.

I won't find out.

For the first time in some years - 10 I think - I'm not bringing a rifle. I have to spend some time in London on the way back looking for a place to live, and it just seemed easier not to have to find someone to look after the gun while I was in the UK.
I can see two hunting reports in the making....Good luck on both!!!

Well @Hank2211 at least you didn't get caught up in it. Good luck house hunting in London - I personally would suggest West London, somewhere near Chelsea. Then again I have my own selfish motivations as I'm a big fan of a football club there. You don't mind house guests right? :whistle:
Too long a walk @cagkt3! I need to be closer to the middle of town.

In the small world category, I just arrived in camp, after interminable delays by SAA. I had never asked my PH where we were hunting . . . Because I trust him to organize things. I arrived a couple of ours ago, and while I won't see the place in daylight until tomorrow, it looks pretty good so far - turns out we're spending the next 5 days at @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris!

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
The damn Brits charge $100 for the privilege of carrying a rifle through their country. It's not like your carrying the gun through the terminal it's just being held in the belly of the aircraft.
Thats why us Brits wont fly B.A. but we do have other airlines that do not punish us for ownership of firearms. By the way if you have ammo in separate bag B.A. (Bloody Awful)will charge £100 per trip so rifle and ammo there and back is £400.
Markcz

News just in:
It is with huge relief that PHASA can announce that SAA made an effort to attend to the restriction to travel with firearms through the UK.
SAA complied to the safety and security requirements of the police at Heathrow Airport and the restrictions are lifted with immediate effect. Please share with international agents and clients

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear the SAA and the UK police got the job done.

Now some folks can relax and get on with their travels.

Yup after I make other arrangements to fly home with my guns. Oh well wasn't going to wait till the last minute to see if this wasn't resolved. Flying Delta from Calgary looks better from now on.

Yup after I make other arrangements to fly home with my guns. Oh well wasn't going to wait till the last minute to see if this wasn't resolved. Flying Delta from Calgary looks better from now on.

Too many plane changes for my liking on that route.
Hope your flights go off without a hitch.

Too many plane changes for my liking on that route.
Hope your flights go off without a hitch.

Yes it does add an extra stop and plane change, but a friend has been doing that trip without any problems for his last 3 trips so I'm going to try it next year. Europe has become a real hassle to travel through with firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!