Warning for New Hunters

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Eventually_Africa_Again, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    I have come to the conclusion that Madame Africa IS my mistress. She caught me three years ago and I can't get loose. So I am waiting anxiously with bated breath to once again embrace her in April.

Tra3, Scott CWO and BenC91 like this.

2. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    Photos of the 9.3 please

cagkt3 likes this.

3. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
    A similar story in our household. My wife and I were invited by a good client to join him in the Save in Zim for his leopard, buffalo, sable, PG safari. I told my wife that I would “only” hunt PG and she could be the photographer. She went for it.

The next year, I found “us” a cancellation leopard, buffalo, sable, and PG hunt in the Niassa Reserve in Mozambique. How can you turn down a cancellation hunt for leopard that has a 100% success track record? She went for it.

Then in 2014, another good client and his wife asked us to go to Moz with them for big croc, buffalo, sable and PG near Lake Cahorra Basa. How could we say no to them? It wouldn’t be polite! When they flew home after a couple weeks, I stayed on and transferred to Coutada 9 for a nyala, big kudu, etc... because I “needed” a nyala. She went for it.

At the January 2015 SCI Show, I “missed out”on a 2015 bongo cancellation in CAR by about 5 minutes. How depressing! The operator felt bad for me and made me the same offer for 2016. How could I turn that down? She was happy to stay home and out of the heat of the jungle but patience was beginning to fade but she went for it. The CAR trip turned into quite an ordeal and can be read about on AH.

In 2017, “we” found a discounted buffalo and PG trip to Massailand in TZ to make up for the debacle in CAR so as not to leave Africa with a bad taste in my mouth. Sounds logical right?? After the safari we visited Serenghetti NP and she really loved seeing the lions in Massailand and in SNP. She said it was her favorite trip so far. She went for it but said we had to do a non-hunting trip for our 25th anniversary in 2018 as a result. Okay, so we did that in April 2018 to China and Tibet for a reasonable price.

Now, she said she really likes lions and it would be cool to have one in the house so I reached out to my contacts in the Save in Zim to get all their well-documented lion population studies and lion conservation data for my USFWS import permit application. If the permit is ever issued, we figure it would be a shame not to go, right?? This all started with “only” a PG hunt in 2012!

Eventually_Africa_Again and Tra3 like this.

4. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    IMG_0025.JPG

Andrew Ambrose of Rigby sent this earlier today. More photos will be provided as the rifle progresses. Rigby is truly a pleasure to work with. This rifle will spend the entire month of August in Africa. It has agreed to let me accompany it for the coming out party!

5. rinehart0050

rinehart0050 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
    Love this site and love africa. My wife and I have two so feed aris under our belt, already planning three and four- a family hunt with both sets of inlaws in south africa and a leopard/ buff hunt in location to be determined.

This is an expensive addiction, but one I wouldn't trade for anything!

Scott CWO likes this.

6. bullseye-69

bullseye-69 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, IN,MT,SD,WY,IL,MO / UK, Scotland and England
    I am 100% positive I will be going to Hawaii. ;)

7. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    Will do. It is shipping from Rigby this week.

spike.t likes this.

8. BWH

BWH AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    Wife.... or ex-wife?!?!?

WAB and Bullthrower338 like this.

9. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
  10. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    I doubt Bob sold many. He stopped by my house and gathered up a few like cord wood and threw them in his truck

Bullthrower338 likes this.

11. Mort Hill

Mort Hill GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA, Zambia, Tanzania
    Never saw a hearse with a luggage rack.

Spend it like you earned it!

12. brandondd24

brandondd24 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life member
    Hunted:
    Namibia,USA, east cape sa
    Addiction is real
    First time I went told my sister I was going, she said I want to go too. Told dad ren and I were going to Africa, he said well I’m going too(he’s been before). I went again with a buddy 4 years later, now going back for round 3 with dad my sister and my buddy and 3 other friends!

13. KyleS

KyleS New Member

Funny thats sorta how my fiancé and I decided to go on Safari for our honeymoon. Hahahahaha there are a few of us who dont have to explain our obsessions to our wives

14. Mark Biggerstaff

Mark Biggerstaff BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Africa is a very addictive place along with AH. I had thought about hunting Africa before January of 2018 but didnt think it would happen for several years. Then the opportunity happened in late January of 2018 and I seized the moment to make it happen. I purchased my first big bore a 375 HH for this trip. Now a year later I am getting ready for my second trip and now own 2 375s , 416 rem mag, 458 win mag and just purchased 9.3x62. This site and Africa have become an addiction. But a good one!