Warm Weather Socks with Courteney Boots?

Gerry Addison

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Going to Zambia in early November for Buffalo and I'm getting a new pair of boots (either Russell or Courteney) and was wondering what socks you all have good results with? Normally I wear a thin liner sock and then a medium weight sock when hunting but not sure if I need the liner sock with these boots? Wearing the two socks will obviously affect the size I order so I wanted to see what everyone has used in the past? Thanks for sharing your experience.

A good pair of Merino Wool socks. I use them from First Lite, and they are great. My ft don't sweat and my ft stay dry.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.16.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.16.05 AM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.16.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.16.09 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 185
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.16.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.16.11 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.16.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.16.15 AM.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 173
Smartwool running socks with polypropylene liner socks- worn together or separately, have been great for me.

With Courteneys for sure bamboo socks. They are medium thickness, wont change foot size. Also put in a jelly heel.

I use smartwool mid crew running socks in my Courteney’s. As Kevin suggests, I use a full length insole.

Another vote for Smartwool merino socks. I’ve worn them for years now all year round varying the weight of sock with the season.
One observation is that over time the heel and ball of the sock become impacted and wear. Treat yourself to a few brand new pairs. It’s like walking on air over extended periods.

I've been wearing Smart Wool socks for a year or two and now that's all I wear - year-round.

Only problem is they shrink more than I like, especially if put through the dryer. Do you guys buy your normal size or go extra big?

Edit: I'm in my first pair of Courtneys (in my regular size) and needed the thin Sole foot bed plus my thicker socks for a good fit.

Lots of votes for smart wool socks. It appears none of you are wearing a thin liner sock, correct?

Nope. Gerry, any smart wool sock or wool sock is fine. Even medium weight wool. Wool breathes and it cushions your foot.

Courteney’s are great. Best boot I’ve ever owned. I own 4 pairs. A+

I also own a $1000 pair of Russells that I’ve never worn. I look at them bitterly in the box. Totally screwed up, absurdly incorrect the first time I ordered them. They built a new pair (like 1.5” shorter second try...okay guys) and promised it would arrive in time for my safari. It did not, it arrived one day late and sat outside for 14 days on my doorstep. Never again. If anyone wants a size 15.5 Russell for cheap, let me know.

I used to be able to purchase very heavy Merino wool socks from Cabelas. The socks were soft, thick, and did not shrink in the camp laundry process. Before my last trip I purchased some new socks from Cabelas and even though they were the same stock number they shrunk down several sizes when I washed them. I know Cabela's had made a significant change to the sock material as my original Cabela's socks that were washed in the same load did not shrink. My current socks are the heaviest Merino wool socks from Sheep Mountain that I purchased at the DSC show 3(?) years ago..

As noted above, I find the quality can vary even from the same manufacture. Therefore, I suggest washing them as you expect they will be done in camp and then wearing them for a long hike, over broken ground if possible; in your hunting boots to insure they meet your needs.

As a side note, it is probably just my feet but I could not get comfortable in Courtney boots but my Russells are very comfortable. I apply several light applications of Obenauf"s to the leather portion of the PH boots and they have required essentially no break in. The standard soles on the Russell PH boots are significantly softer, more flexible, and lighter than the Courtney's which makes them both quieter and shorter lived. If you chose Russell boots you will need to order the soles to match the terrain where you will be hunting.

I've been wearing the Darn Tough Midweight Hiking Socks year around. They are Merino wool, fit right, and just last. I also have SmartWool but the Darn Tough seems to wear better. They aren't cheap - about $25 a pair - but they are worth it.

Lots of votes for smart wool socks. It appears none of you are wearing a thin liner sock, correct?

No. I used to wear a liner sock with my Meindls but found the combo of two socks were too tight on my feet causing them to be cold. I switched to Orvis wader socks and ditched the liner. All good.

I wear wool socks 100% of the time now.

I have had good luck with merino wool socks purchased at a Red Wing boot store. If you have one of these stores in your town, go try a pair. They are some of the most comfortable socks I've worn. They also make a lighter weight merino wool sock.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.03.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.03.29 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.03.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.03.32 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.03.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.03.43 AM.png
    769.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.03.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.03.44 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 128

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.04.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.04.17 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.04.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.04.19 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
Reactions: WAB
+1 on smart wool. A good place to go is a local running store. They will have good wool socks, likely i Double check the seam on any sock. If you can feel the seam, it will be a problem later.

I don’t double up on socks with a thin and thick.

Buy 3 or 4 matching pairs so when one sock dies, it can be grouped in with other sets.

Beware of any product that claim the fabric is made from bamboo. The slogans which accompany these products imply the product is made from natural bamboo fiber. Frequently they lay claims to various health benefits and some sort of moral value as a natural product. Nothing could be further from the truth. Those bamboo products are made from rayon.

Rayon is made by chemically dissolving cellulose from wood or other plant material. The dissolved cellulose is then converted into an insoluble gelatinous gel which is then extruded as a cellulose fiber. That fiber is then used to make rayon fabrics. In the case of so called bamboo fabrics, the only role for bamboo is that it is used as the plant material from which the cellulose is extracted.

If it's hot I use only a liner sock to prevent blisters and the moisture weeking seems to cool the feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg