Wanting a high accuracy 308 bolt action rifle what to get?

First time I hear about that! What kind of bolt failures they had?
I have not done any research as to other models, the only Tikka I have owned is the TAC A1. Not sure if it something different about them. It failed on the bolt body at the Dovetail joint. One half of the Dovetail itself broke. It has happened to several people that I know of. LRI makes a really nice Tikka replacement bolt, highly recommended them if you are ever in need of a upgrade.

Quite a few factory rifles currently have a reputation for accuracy. None warranting a 100% but many having high percentage out of the box. If I had to pick only one to buy right now it would be a Sako. Cost is always part of the equation that gets thrown in though. So Savage usually has a high representative % of recommendations if for no other reason than base cost. Just can't bring myself to it. A personal thing I think.... having flashbacks of retightening the barrel nut on one while shooting :) One was enough... in addition to the appearance of that "stove bolt", for lack of a better description... coined by someone else a long time ago. :) And then there is the resale value side of the coin... but that is another discussion.
@fourfive8
There's no denying they are not the prettiest rifle on the block and they represent good value. Hell they pioneered the barrel nut and modular bolt to cut cost bunt dang they shoot. The stock on the Stevens 200 is a lot better than the shit axis stock and it fits me like a glove. Recoil even in the Whelen comes straight back making it a pleasure to shoot.
I will take accuracy over looks any day. Even my 1941 Savage made SMLE No4 converted to my 25 cal shoots less than .75 inches at 100 yards.
Bob

@fourfive8
There's no denying they are not the prettiest rifle on the block and they represent good value. Hell they pioneered the barrel nut and modular bolt to cut cost bunt dang they shoot. The stock on the Stevens 200 is a lot better than the shit axis stock and it fits me like a glove. Recoil even in the Whelen comes straight back making it a pleasure to shoot.
I will take accuracy over looks any day. Even my 1941 Savage made SMLE No4 converted to my 25 cal shoots less than .75 inches at 100 yards.
Bob
Yep. I had never owned a Savage before. But my new Savage 110 .25-06 with a super clear lower end Vortex scope shot MOA with factory Remington 120gr. Core Lokts two weeks ago, once I got it dialed in. That was with a Harris bipod from the bench with the butt against my shoulder. Not exactly a "solid" benchrest position. This Wednesday, it'll be at 200 yds. with same plus Bog standing bipod sticks. I did find a few boxes of factory Hornady 117gr. Interlocks at an inexpensive price. I'll see what they do. I'm still deciding what bullet/load I want to reload them with for mainly pronghorn hunting. I'm thinking a "bonded" bullet may not expand enough on a light bodied pronghorn, so maybe an SST? I have previously taken all of my pronghorn with Nosler Partitions in a .270, but a little overkill me thinks. Anyway, I REALLY like my Browning A Bolt and was looking at the X Bolt. But in the last TWO years, they've went up $240, so they can KMA!

Yep. I had never owned a Savage before. But my new Savage 110 .25-06 with a super clear lower end Vortex scope shot MOA with factory Remington 120gr. Core Lokts two weeks ago, once I got it dialed in. That was with a Harris bipod from the bench with the butt against my shoulder. Not exactly a "solid" benchrest position. This Wednesday, it'll be at 200 yds. with same plus Bog standing bipod sticks. I did find a few boxes of factory Hornady 117gr. Interlocks at an inexpensive price. I'll see what they do. I'm still deciding what bullet/load I want to reload them with for mainly pronghorn hunting. I'm thinking a "bonded" bullet may not expand enough on a light bodied pronghorn, so maybe an SST? I have previously taken all of my pronghorn with Nosler Partitions in a .270, but a little overkill me thinks. Anyway, I REALLY like my Browning A Bolt and was looking at the X Bolt. But in the last TWO years, they've went up $240, so they can KMA!
@CoElkHunter
The 117grain SST expands very easily yet hangs together well. I have never recovered one out of my 25 and the damage they did on the way thru was massive. You should be able to push them to 3,000+fps.
I haven't tried the 110 accubonds but by all reports the are great

The 100gn TTSX at 3,400fps is devastating, but you will never recover one on a broadside short

Our gun guru Nick Harvey loves the 110gn Hornady ELDX
If you need some load info give me a yell mate
Bob

I picked up the rifle earlier in the week. Getting the scope mounted this weekend. Initial impressions I like the feel of the action so far(reserving final impression of that until I can shoot it some and see how it does feeding firing and ejecting actual rounds) I like the trigger and it came set to a nice pull weight from the factory so not going to adjust it will try to get its pull weight measured this weekend as well, I like the handy feel it has with the 20" barrel and sporter style stock this is exactly what I was looking for not too heavy and cumbersome to carry but enough barrel to it that it should handle bench shooting without heating up super quick. The real test will be shooting it and seeing what it can do accuracy wise. So far so good. Thanks everyone.

Personal have not experienced any accuracy differences from 18" to 28". Especially at 100 yards, the lack of speed the further out you go will allow wind to play with the bullet longer. Group size itself should not be an issue if we are talking apples to apples barrel manufacturers.

@clockwork_7mm_gator
My mate Greg bought a 2nd hand Howa walnut hunter in 30-06 with a fluted barrel and even with factory ammo it shoots less than .75 at 100 and even better with hand loads. Not bad for 500 bucks including scope
Sounds like he did great. I've been looking at a stainless/walnut 06 in the Howa 1500, just doesn't have the fluting (I'd actually prefer that it not, so that's OK).

It failed on the bolt body at the Dovetail joint. One half of the Dovetail itself broke. It has happened to several people that I know of.
I have been reading about Tikka for nearly 15-16 years now and after 1 million rifles produced, I have seen a handfull of cases in the last 6 months reporting this. This is from reading on several forums from all over the world. And of those, most of this happened when the rifle dropped and landed on bolt handle, often using an after market bolt handle. Not from just working the bolt...

Before this, the only complaints about Tikka where a few complains about plastic on bolt cracking or the bolt retention/bolt release pin breaking with very heavy bolt manipulation.

Maybe this is just something new?
Are these T3x or T3?

I have been reading about Tikka for nearly 15-16 years now and after 1 million rifles produced, I have seen a handfull of cases in the last 6 months reporting this. This is from reading on several forums from all over the world. And of those, most of this happened when the rifle dropped and landed on bolt handle, often using an after market bolt handle. Not from just working the bolt...

Before this, the only complaints about Tikka where a few complains about plastic on bolt cracking or the bolt retention/bolt release pin breaking with very heavy bolt manipulation.

Are these T3x or T3?
I don't know, it was my only experience with Tikka that I personally owned. It happened by jamming and bullet in a dummy round trying to find the lands. Something that is common practice. Had heavy lift and the bolt broke. Nothing crazy, nothing abusive hopefully Tikka has this issue fixed.

Are these T3x or T3?
Been using tikkas for about 30 years. Have many and the only problem is most only make one hole in the target.

Been using tikkas for about 30 years. Have many and the only problem is most only make one hole in the target.
@Flewis
May mate Greg's tikka to left hand makes lots of little 30 cal hole all over the target with 150 grainers. He can't get them to group under 1.5 inches. The 130gr varmints group a bit less than an inch. He is going to try 165s. He as tried 5 or 6 different 150s and 4 types of powder and different seating depth to no avail.
It cost him 1,200 dollars.
His $500 Howa 30-06 runs rings around it for accuracy.
Bob

I have had good results with Bergara. Bergara BMP 308 Win. Range day on Thurs. Can shoot under 1/2 inch 5 shot groups. Although on the last range day it was a random flyer kind of day. Nothing like a random flyer to ruin the fun. Overall if I overlay all four targets and measure the 20 shot group then it’ll probably measure around 1 1/2 inches. The pictures of the rifle are from a range day in June.
F87446C5-9780-452F-BB3E-FD837AEFA89B.jpeg
E0FFCC6B-4119-41C7-8FD8-26E93A16D8A9.jpeg
81929D52-6378-44D5-B187-0F5A28507435.jpeg
62446C65-C99A-49A5-8CF3-B7B4C9BAD8B8.jpeg
65CF3AF9-A34D-441D-AAD9-AFC2FE7994EE.jpeg
88B8368F-BBA1-44AA-B5AD-2BE63548130E.jpeg

Hey sorry everyone yes I got it liked it enough to get a second as well. Here is what I can say so far I have only fired one of them. The triggers felt the same between the two and are very nice by my standards the measured pull on the one that was also fired was just over 3 pounds from the factory. Only tried two loads 175 sierra match from freedom munitions and a 168 sierra match from federal shot to similar point of aim at 100 meters off bags I was not at my best on that day and barrel was breaking in 5 shot groups were 1-1.5 at 100 meters. Been wanting to go again and see what it will do but have not gotten a chance. Optic on it 6-24 50 crimson trace hardline pro in talley one piece rings bases. I really like the feel of controls and layout the stock is just stiff enough that I can get away without switching it for an aftermarket one reasonable weight to carry and handy with the 20" barrel and short action. The action by the way is great worked without any issues very slick I like it wish it held 5 down but only holds 4 down. Need to get to range again before commenting more on accuracy potential but for now I will say accuracy is decent guess it to be a 1 moa rifle with either of those two loads for 5 shots consistently if rifleman is capable and on that day I was not.....
Edited note This is the b-14 ridge model in 308 win with 20" barrel number 5 profile

Last edited:
Here is list of rifles, I have seen shoot as per OP inquiry, sub moa.
Tikka T3 tac (older model)
Tikkat T3 sporter (older model)
Tikka T3x varmint
Tikka t3x supervarmint
Tikka t3x tac - a1.
Sako TRG 22
Bergara HMR
Sabatti tactical
Sabatti TLD Red
Sabatti TLD white
Steyr SSG 69 (older model)
Steyr SSG 08
Sig Sauer 3000

There are many more, but those I vouch I have seen in sub moa performance.
I would say that above list is for any budget. From bergara HMR in value price range, till Sako TRG 22 and SSG 08, in higher price range, both professional platforms.

Best buy is another matter.
Best buy rifle for hunting + target shooting, I would say is new tikka t3x supervarmint, with barrel 22 mm thich, stainless steel.

Best buy rifle exclusively for target shooting and for range: Sabatti TLD white or red. longest factory barrel, and special multiradial rifling. (similar to polygonal rifling) stainless steel barrel

I have had good results with Bergara. Bergara BMP 308 Win. Range day on Thurs. Can shoot under 1/2 inch 5 shot groups. Although on the last range day it was a random flyer kind of day. Nothing like a random flyer to ruin the fun. Overall if I overlay all four targets and measure the 20 shot group then it’ll probably measure around 1 1/2 inches. The pictures of the rifle are from a range day in June.View attachment 508468View attachment 508469View attachment 508470View attachment 508471View attachment 508472View attachment 508473
@Shooter375 looks like some good groups!

mare you shooting though a culvert for noise dampening to not bother the neighbors? Does it help? What size? How long? Curious here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rugermagnum

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,