WANTED: Northern Namibia Hunt

Discussion in 'DEALS & OFFERS' started by flatwater bill, Dec 21, 2015.

1. sonnyn913

sonnyn913 AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI International, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    RSA, Limpopo region,NorthWest Province, VaalWater and Free State New Zealand
    I would never hunt with that guy. That sarcasm is ridiculous. No way to treat a customer. Fired him? What a joke!!!

2. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Outfitters, PHs, hunting guides, etc all have jobs that require many, many skills. They need to be experts on animals, firearms, auto mechanic, logistics, in some cases bush pilot, horses, first aid, travel consultant, bookeeper, accountant, etc. They also need people skills to be good company around the camp fire in the evenings and while in the bush for days on end. It's not an easy job. Add to it now the need for social media expertise. Social media in many ways is a blessing and a curse. Can you imagine how clients and PHs corresponded back in the old days with only snail mail? Mail a letter and a couple months later you get a reply or get your letter returned as undeliverable.

As several have said, the response from the PH in this case is very unprofessional.

3. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    I am totally shocked with the response you received, absolutely mind blowing!!!

Patrick R likes this.

4. Bruce

Bruce AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
    Hunted:
    Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
    FWB, IF you don't come right with Karl and Namibia etc, MY suggestion is that you hunt Zambia. It is a LOT easier and less red tape involved with Govt taxes/ firearm imports etc... AND the sable and buff in Zambia are awesome!!!!
    Good luck on your hunt..

Bruce

5. Jim Rea

Jim Rea AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, WVBA
    Hunted:
    U.S.A., Canada, South Africa, & Namibia
    Man am I glad I didn't bid on his donated hunt. Very unprofessional.

6. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    The PH may want to think of a short course in Client Realations......Can we say "CHARM SCHOOL"

siml likes this.

7. akeate

akeate AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA (Wyoming, Utah, Texas, Idaho), South Africa
    The comments by this guy are CRAZY. Maybe the guy was having a bad day but come on. I am headed out for the 13th time to South Africa in a month. Every hunt has been with the same outfitter, Jakes at HuntSafari. I just tell him what I want to hunt and he makes it happen. He is going to arrange a Zim hunt in October as well. He is going to be there. I realize we will be paying for a licensed Zim PH as well but I trust him implicitly. Sometimes I think about going with another company and then I read a story like this........

Obviously this guy doesn't understand the power of social media. You don't need to look further than the rise of "The Donald" in the US or "Brexit" to realize the impact that technology has today.

siml and flatwater bill like this.

8. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    As an update to this thread that I started, and that is now transponding 7500, I want to say that I booked 3 hunts for this season, basically off of AH. Two of these are in Africa, one in Asia. And to play the devil's advocate, I don't necessarily agree with everyone commenting on the outfitter criticized on this thread. I dont know him or his client. But I have seen doctor's offices "fire" patients many times. Patients that were not compliant, did not pay, wanted something for nothing, didnt keep their appts, or were abusive to the staff. They use the same term, "fire" them. Some people are too much trouble to deal with, even if they have money. Not to offend anyone mentioned in this thread-I dont know the hunter and dont know the outfitter. But a great outfitter that I know had a client that said, to paraphrase, "if I do not get a 40" oryx and a 60" kudu, I will not pay". This awesome outfitter dropped the man back at Windhoek airport the next day. Bargain for a great rate, then change requirements so that the outfitter has a continually moving target? Might earn a sarcastic reply. Maybe. I can reasonably see two sides here.....................FWB

VonJager likes this.

9. akeate

akeate AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA (Wyoming, Utah, Texas, Idaho), South Africa
    Bill you make a great point. I have fired clients myself as well. But I have always done it in person or on the phone and very politely. I save my snarky comments about the client for later. I guess I am just shocked that the PH wouldn't recognize the negative impact of the email being posted regardless of the reality of the situation.

flatwater bill likes this.

10. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    I received a similar very snarky email from my outfitter a few years ago when I whined here about a less than wonderful hunt. In retrospect I can sort of see a little more of his side, now a few years removed. I did not hunt directly with him but had a fill in PH who I got along with pretty well, but the hunting was not very good and just before I landed they had a large party that had shot the place up pretty well ( I was told) which would account for lack of game for sure. As luck would have it I was sick with some nasty sinus bug the whole time I was there and in fact a couple months after returning home I landed in hospital twice with pericarditis! Maybe that was just a bad year. As to the letters above, that was ultra snarky and pretty long winded.

flatwater bill likes this.

11. MMAL

MMAL GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia

I just came back from @Westfalen Hunting Safaris and no problem bringing guns jfk/jhb/wdh

12. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Do you mean JNB/ZIM? There are no sanctions or conflicts going on in Namibia.
    I can see someone deciding to get testy about a conflict zone, but a peaceful country. :E Confused:

13. smetzger

smetzger New Member

Member of:
    sci nra
    I'll be hunting with Karl end of September for cat and hippo. He's been a pleasure to deal with and very accommodating so far.

let you know how it goes when back :)

14. Landman

Landman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA(life member),SCI, Ducks Unlimited(Treasurer,DU-Llano-Lonestar Chapter), Exotic Wildlife Assoc., Trophy Game Records of the World
    Hunted:
    USA, Argentina, South Africa, Uruguay
    I fully concur with JES, e Peter is a good man and I consider one of his PH's, Oohm Tinkler, a GREAT friend and mentor. Hunted with them 2X's with a cumulative of 4 weeks. They were my 3rd & 4th Safari in Africa. I am sorry for your friend but I consider them a Top Notch Outfit!

15. flat8

flat8 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    On a more positive note, @flatwater bill if you do make it to the Strip, here's what you have to look forward to. No filter, and non needed!

bc1190ac-953e-45ca-b8b7-dc634119f12a.jpg

flatwater bill, CEO and jeff like this.

16. Brandon Ryan

Brandon Ryan AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA, Zululand and eastern cape
    Thanks for posting. Was considering contacting them, not now!

17. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Very unprofessional, disgusting actually.

85Tecate likes this.

18. David DeVane

David DeVane New Member

Hunted:

I just joined and read these comments regarding Peter Thormahlen. My experience was just the opposite. I hunted leopard in Kaokoland (Northwestern Namibia) in September of 2017 with T&C. It was my 5th Safari but first with them. From the airport pickup to the airport return their attention to detail was excellent. Their Anabeb camp was impressive, great food, and drink (yes, they had the wine and liquor we had requested) courteous staff, comfortable tent lodging and an excellent PH (Brink Grobler). Peter was not there nor had I expected him to be. He joined us for a fine dinner in Windhoek when we returned. On the 13th day I took a fine leopard having already taken a huge springbok and a really nice mountain zebra.

I would definitely hunt with them again. All the complaints about taxidermy and shipping are beyond the control of the outfitter once your trophies are delivered to the taxidermist.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2019
    JES Adventures likes this.

19. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Under the FWIW category: I started this thread nearly 4 years ago asking about hunting in Northern Namibia. Don't know how it exactly switched to a PH bashing......anyway...................since I see my name at the top, I will simply say that I eventually went on to Hunt northern Namibia this year. And the operator and PH were excellent (although not the one being discussed here)..............................good hunting to all...............................FWB