Wanted Mauser M03 Barrels

My friend has a barrel in 8,5x63 that he wants to give away...kind of an exotic calibre but suitable for everything from Cape Buffalo to Roedeer. The Barrel is located in SW germany
He wants to give it away or do you mean that he wants to sell it? I would be very interested in this barrel.

I meant he wants to sell it, sorry! If you want I can ask him about the price. How much is shipping to australia and what documents does one need?

Hello @Bwanabob ,

I contacted Frankonia, a major hunting and arms store in Germany, if they still had any .375 barrels available. They said no. The only barrel still available is a 9,3x62.

best regards,

V.
Thank you. I did look at the Frankonia website, recently, but they only appear to have a German language version and I am totally lost in trying to work out what they have on offer or how to go about making a purchase inquiry.

I meant he wants to sell it, sorry! If you want I can ask him about the price. How much is shipping to australia and what documents does one need?
Yes, please do ask him about the price, shipping and documentation. Thank you for your help.

Well, sent out 15 or so mails to different gun stores in Germany, plus one spicy mail as a third reminder to Mauser to have them live up to their motto.

let's see if there is some more response this time around.

@Bwanabob, good luck with that 8.5x63 barrel, I hope you'll get the export/import figured out :)

for my understanding, what US caliber would the 8.5x63 be the EU version of? I have never heard of it before.

Not sure a barrel would be considered a spare part.....

what US caliber would the 8.5x63 be the EU version of? I have never heard of it before.
I've heard somewhat similar like the 338-06 or 338-06 AI . But I am no expert , so maybe others can chime in.

Not sure a barrel would be considered a spare part.....
I agree, but they could have the courtesy to say respond letting us know.
I'm also wondering if these barrels were only made for the M03 or if there are maybe other rifles that share the same footprint... Must have been hideously expensive to have all the machinery in place to produce those barrels, for only one range of rifles, and stopping this after less than 20 years.
Whenever I see those R8 barrels, I cannot help but wondering if they are not very similar...

Blaser R8 barrel in .375H&H:
1615916994350.png

Mauser M03 extreme in .375H&H:
1615917103966.png

only difference I can see is where the bolt head would lock in the barrel...

Last edited:
If it pays it stays I quess....

If it pays it stays I quess....

Or it was unwanted competition for the R8, being from the same group and all...

Well, sent out 15 or so mails to different gun stores in Germany, plus one spicy mail as a third reminder to Mauser to have them live up to their motto.

let's see if there is some more response this time around.

@Bwanabob, good luck with that 8.5x63 barrel, I hope you'll get the export/import figured out :)

for my understanding, what US caliber would the 8.5x63 be the EU version of? I have never heard of it before.
I don't think that the 8.5x63 has a US equivalent and the closest thing would probably be the .338/06 Ackley Improved. Here, in Oz, this cartridge will be, essentially, a wildcat and I will have to look at buying custom reloading and case forming dies.

Seems my shotgun approach to contacting multiple German shops worked:

Dear Mr. ,

MAUSER dropped the M03 by this year.
Some barrel configutaion are still available or will be availablle later this year.

We have to ask for every barrel in the moment so it will take some time to answer your inquiry.
If you are used to use a .300WinMag barrel by now you do not need an additional bolt head for the .375H&H Mag because this is the same size.

But you need this for the .458LOTT

Export to Belgium shuld be no problem, please note:
For the export of guns, essential parts or ammunition to a country of the EU or Schengen we need your import license.
Eventually you will get it at your police station or gun authority. It looks similiar to the one in our information page:

With this import-license we apply for the export-license. This takes at least one week. The German Federal Office of Criminal Investigation will inform your authorities about the export of the gun.

Forwarding expenses are usually between 75,00 and 199,00, but for some countries up to 500,00 and depend on the importing country.
Belgium is about € 130,--

If you agree with these terms please respond with your full address.

After your reply you'll get an offer with detailed prices and delivery times.

T R I E B E L GmbH
Schönwalder Str. 12
13585 Berlin (Spandau)
Tel. ++49 (0)30-3559590
Fax ++49 (0)30-3366231
Web www.triebel.de
Mail info@triebel.de - info@sportwaffen-triebel.de

@Bwanabob, seems like I found a shop that bundles these requests to order them and that does not mind the extra hassle of exporting. Let me know if you are also interested.

V.

And now Mauser also responded, willing even to search for a barrel(s) and organise a delivery to a shop/distributor and avoiding that I have to get an import license.

I asked Bwanabob in a pm, but perhaps I can tap once more into the collective expertise of the good folk on AH.

I’ll be seeing with Mauser, on ordering a few different barrels, when the getting is good :)

As you know I already have a .300winmag. What other barrels would you consider ? I was thinking of a .375h&h and a .458lott (it is the largest caliber with the same magazine type E) Or would a .404 Jeffrey or a .416 rigby make more sense (both these two also use this same magazine)

Basically one barrel for plainsgame, one for the largest antilopes, eland, moose, with potential for buffalo, one truly dedicated to dangerous game, hippo, elephant etc.

What would your choices be, as I’m a full novice on very big game and dangerous game hunting, but need to order these M03 barrels now...

Thank you for your opinion!

Btw full list of available calibres:

Magazine A: .222 Rem, .223 Rem
Magazine B: .243Win - .308Win - 7mm
Magazine C: 6.5x55 - 25-06 - 270 Win - 7x64 - 30-06 - 8x57 - 9.3x62
Magazine D: .270 WSM - .300 WSM
Magazine E: 300 Win - 338 Win - 375 HH - 416 Mag - 458 Lott - 404 Jeffrey
Magazine F: 22-250 Remington

Last edited:
Read this thread earlier just before I coincidentally paid a visit to the gun dealer I use to pick up a scope mount for my M03.
I have bought all my Mauser rifles and barrels from him.
I asked the question about barrels and he said you can still order them from Mauser, they are still making them.
There was a point where they were going to cease production but they decided against it.
You might have to wait five or six months but they are available to order.
I suggest you speak to your local dealer and ask them to order barrels for you.

Read this thread earlier just before I coincidentally paid a visit to the gun dealer I use to pick up a scope mount for my M03.
I have bought all my Mauser rifles and barrels from him.
I asked the question about barrels and he said you can still order them from Mauser, they are still making them.
There was a point where they were going to cease production but they decided against it.
You might have to wait five or six months but they are available to order.
I suggest you speak to your local dealer and ask them to order barrels for you.
indeed Adrian, this is what I did, you can find the details under the thread 'ultimate barrel set'
I did have some issue in contacting Mauser in the beginning, they were not very responsive. And in Belgium there are no local dealers of Mauser as far as I can tell. I had bought mine and imported it from Germany, 8 years ago or so.

V.

I have a Mauser M03 Extreme in .458 Lott but would like to obtain another one or two barrels, preferably in .375H&H and .300 WinMag. These 3 calibres would make up a handy travelling hunter, rifle kit. The problem is that Mauser have discontinued the M03 and barrels are now scarce. If anyone has a .375H&H or .300 WinMag barrel (or any other similar calibre) that they wish to part with, please talk to me. I am located down-under but I am willing to engage an export agent to ship them from where ever they are to my home in Oz.
I have both the 300WM and 375 H&H barrels. I put about 60 rounds through the 300 and maybe 100 through the 375. Not sure how to do a deal with you in another country though.

I have both the 300WM and 375 H&H barrels. I put about 60 rounds through the 300 and maybe 100 through the 375. Not sure how to do a deal with you in another country though.
Thank you for your reply. What country are you located in and how much are you asking for with these barrels?

Hi
I have a Mauser M03 barrel in 300 Weatherby Magnum. I have a bolt head (serial numbered) and a magazine, a Redding Full length resize die set and about 90 once fired Norma cases. The Barrel is threaded for M15 x 20 and I can put some 190gr sierra match king bullets and 180gr Nosler Partition bullets in also.
This barrel has had about 300 rounds through it, and I am willing to part with it for £1000.00 + postage and packing (not including taxes). If you arrange collection that would be simpler, I can give you the name of my local RFD.
Let me know if you wish to see some photos.
regards
Andrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg