Wanted Double Rifle

A 10 bore, .79 caliber, BPView attachment 603401
Exit hole at ~25 yards
The slip on pad is for an added 3/4" LOP.
I made a very bad error in judgement. Not understanding Europeans mark their firearms on the underside of the barrel. I didn't understand the 109 number stamp. I do now; Won't do it again. It stands for max grain charge. I loaded both barrels using dram equivalent 5 1/2 dram to grains: 5.5 x 27.5= 137.5 grains and reduced the load to 135 grain volume weight. Shooting a ~535 grain ball.
Super Deluxe only manufactured 1980 to 1983. Listed as hand engraved German silver sidelocks. Engraved trigger gaurd and band around each barrel at the breech plugs.

Currently considering getting the Kodiak in 45-70 for a fun gun to pair with my 45-70 lever action for black bear and elk hunting.
I hear the 45-70 is hard to find and the older ones actually had sights on each barrel, instead of regulating them. I'm on the look out for a 9.3x74R, I have a action to build the 45-70 on and someday I'll get it done. Until then, I have a few single shots in 45-70 and a drilling 16ga X 16ga X 9.3x74R.

I had a 58 cal Kodiak. I used 120 gr 2F to push a 525 gr conical. It was fun to shoot shoot. Unfortunately, I never hunted with it and eventually sold it to fund another gun.

Some people like Chevy Impalas, some people like BMW's. Nothing wrong with either, buy whatever double that you feel makes sense financially for you. I sold a Sabatti 9.3x74R just this past year for just under 5k, when I spoke with the gentleman who purchased my rifle last week, he said he was getting 1" groups at 50 yards using a red dot scope. I'm wondering if a Verney-Carron at 25,000k would shoot any better.

I had a 58 cal Kodiak. I used 120 gr 2F to push a 525 gr conical. It was fun to shoot shoot. Unfortunately, I never hunted with it and eventually sold it to fund another gun.
I have the 54 cl Kodiak, have yet to check the regulation on it, hopefully going to use it this muzzleloader season, what kind of groups did you get with yours?

I have two Blaser BBF97 Luxus. Not many in the US but when they come up and the price is right, I'll pick them up. Easiest handling and shoot rifles I own. Same Blaser return to zero scope mount. And have interchangeable barrels. Currently I have20G/hornet, 12G/06, 06/06, and 9.3/9.3. But they don't do 375 sadly nor 20/20.

Awesome guns

Andrew,
That is a great point. A 1"/50yd group is excellet in a double rifle.
Agreed ….. My .470ne Sabatti @ 50yds with iron sights, standing with sticks.
IMG_3174.jpeg

I've got a VC over under 450/400 for sale on here which is honestly a really nice gun for the money.

Used krieghoffs are also a good way to get a solid rifle at a very reasonable price.

I would highly would recomend chapuis i got a 470 and 375 HH and they both are excellent and accurate i have shot 2 dugga boys with my 470 nitro and upcoming taking my 375 HH for my lion hunt for august 2024
here my 50 yrds target with my handloads 300grs with IMR 4350 and fed 215

375 chapuis  loads.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people like Chevy Impalas, some people like BMW's. Nothing wrong with either, buy whatever double that you feel makes sense financially for you. I sold a Sabatti 9.3x74R just this past year for just under 5k, when I spoke with the gentleman who purchased my rifle last week, he said he was getting 1" groups at 50 yards using a red dot scope. I'm wondering if a Verney-Carron at 25,000k would shoot any better.
So, I'm the "gentleman" Andrew62 mentioned (gentleman is a stretch) who purchased his Sabatti 9.3x74r. It was regulated with 286gn RWS factory ammo which is all but impossible to find stateside, so prior to working up loads I took a run with some factory ammo. Federal Premium with Swift A Frame 286 gave me everything that I could ask for resulting in 1" groups at 50yards. I've tried several other brands/combos and although the groups opened up everything is still under 2 1/2". The quality of the Sabatti that I have is better than I could have asked for, for the price.

Have a look at the Blaser BB 97.

As you can see I need to lower the front sight a couple of millimeters. And the scope probably needs to drop a click or two.

View attachment 603218View attachment 603219View attachment 603220
As I'm going to buy a BBF 95 from a friend of mine, let me ask you : I guess, when you clean the rifle barrel, you just have to remove the scope. Any given time. Do the point of impact / settings changes, even a little bit? Or the scope remains totally sighted in? Just curious about your experience...

As I'm going to buy a BBF 95 from a friend of mine, let me ask you : I guess, when you clean the rifle barrel, you just have to remove the scope. Any given time. Do the point of impact / settings changes, even a little bit? Or the scope remains totally sighted in? Just curious about your experience...

Scope mount is the Blaser mount that is used on all the current Blaser models. It absolutely does return to zero no matter how many times it is taken off and replaced.

You don’t have to remove the scope to clean the barrels, but I do.

Scope mount is the Blaser mount that is used on all the current Blaser models. It absolutely does return to zero no matter how many times it is taken off and replaced.

You don’t have to remove the scope to clean the barrels, but I do.
...and I will, too
Thank you for the useful info
That's what I wished (as I'll have Blaser mount on my BBF)

Guys,
These are all great comments about moderately priced double rifles. They perform well, in fact, some of the reported groups are fantastic.
So I guess what this means is that if you want a double rifle for hunting and punching paper, rocks, & logs, you don't have to buy a high end double rifle.
Actually, some of the rep;orted groups are much better than what some of the high end vintage doubles are capable of doing.

Just looking for a decent deal on one now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keobongda247cc

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]