Wanted Double Rifle

.450-.400 think .404j in a double with a rim.

Lon
 
You can’t give away a 416 Rigby double, so definitely don’t pay anywhere near the assumed value of the same double in a rimmed cartridge.

They run through the auction houses occasionally, selling rather cheap. Usually from a seller that didn’t know not to buy one passing it on to a new buyer equally uninformed.

Bottom line, if that’s what you really want, be patient and you’ll find one for a very low price.
Rookhawk, appreciate your thought and insight but the Rigby is what my first choice is. I have two .416’s in bolt guns and reload. Don’t really want to get another caliber in the gun room. Keep that powder dry—AJ
 
Both, I’m in Europe, Belgium and this rifle is also in Belgium.

It is a very fine made rifle indeed, but look at @rookhawk ‘s post above this one for why it is listed at such a low price.

It is a double big bore, but over and under, and not in a typical rimmed cartridge. Then again, less then 6000€ for a double big bore in a strong Browning action with very nice engraving is not too bad either.

Here is the link with a few more pictures. I can ask them for additional pictures if you are very interested.


It is also a single trigger I just saw.
 
Rookhawk, appreciate your thought and insight but the Rigby is what my first choice is. I have two .416’s in bolt guns and reload. Don’t really want to get another caliber in the gun room. Keep that powder dry—AJ

A 500/416 would allow you to use same powders, primers, and bullets without the perils of owning a 416 double. Lower pressure. Less likely to seize. Less likely to jam. Less likely to be unusable due to a broken ejector.

The 500/416 was a modern invention to satiate the fanbase of the 416 rigby while allowing reliable and safe functioning in a double rifle. It’s just a 500NE sized shoot a 416 rigby bullet at 416 rigby velocities. A lot of them were made in the 1990s and they carry a discount over more desirable large bore double rifle calibers. I know Krieghoff and Searcy made several as just two brands that come to mind.
 
It is also a single trigger I just saw.
I am very much interested and basically would like to purchase it. Not sure how I can get my hands on it. By chance are you attending SCI in Nashville? If so you could bring it with and I’ll get it from you there. Otherwise??? Don’t have a clue as to getting it. Thanks, AJ
 
I am very much interested and basically would like to purchase it. Not sure how I can get my hands on it. By chance are you attending SCI in Nashville? If so you could bring it with and I’ll get it from you there. Otherwise??? Don’t have a clue as to getting it. Thanks, AJ
Hi @Cajun Hunter

I believe I have not been sufficiently clear in my communication. This rifle is not in my possession, it is still for sale in a store a half an hour drive from me. "From me" means I live in the capital of Belgium, Brussels. Which is, if I read that you are located in Louisiana, quite a few thousands of miles across the Atlantic ocean :D

So I unfortunately cannot bring it to SCI.

However, if you are very interested in it, I can find out with the store owners (who speak French) if they can organise the export of the rifle to the US? If I can be of assistance I'll gladly do so. But keep in mind that you will likely have freight charges and perhaps import duties to pay on top of the cost of the purchase. This is not insurmountable, @Rare Breed recently went through this exact process when he purchased a rifle from a store in France.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Cajun Hunter

I believe I have not been sufficiently clear in my communication. This rifle is not in my possession, it is still for sale in a store a half an hour drive from me. "From me" means I live in the capital of Belgium, Brussels. Which is, if I read that you are located in Louisiana, quite a few thousands of miles across the Atlantic ocean :D

So I unfortunately cannot bring it to SCI.

However, if you are very interested in it, I can find out with the store owners (who speak French) if they can organise the export of the rifle to the US? If I can be of assistance I'll gladly do so. But keep in mind that you will likely have freight charges and perhaps import duties to pay on top of the cost of the purchase. This is not insurmountable, @Rare Breed recently went through this exact process when he purchased a rifle from a store in France.
Would like to try purchasing it but even with your help looks like it might be a bit complicated. Thanks so much for offering.
GuessI should try for something stateside.
 
A 500/416 would allow you to use same powders, primers, and bullets without the perils of owning a 416 double. Lower pressure. Less likely to seize. Less likely to jam. Less likely to be unusable due to a broken ejector.

The 500/416 was a modern invention to satiate the fanbase of the 416 rigby while allowing reliable and safe functioning in a double rifle. It’s just a 500NE sized shoot a 416 rigby bullet at 416 rigby velocities. A lot of them were made in the 1990s and they carry a discount over more desirable large bore double rifle calibers. I know Krieghoff and Searcy made several as just two brands that come to mind.
If it was me I absolutely would go with Rookhawk suggestion. A DR in 416 Rigby you will not be happy with
 
A 500/416 would allow you to use same powders, primers, and bullets without the perils of owning a 416 double. Lower pressure. Less likely to seize. Less likely to jam. Less likely to be unusable due to a broken ejector.

The 500/416 was a modern invention to satiate the fanbase of the 416 rigby while allowing reliable and safe functioning in a double rifle. It’s just a 500NE sized shoot a 416 rigby bullet at 416 rigby velocities. A lot of them were made in the 1990s and they carry a discount over more desirable large bore double rifle calibers. I know Krieghoff and Searcy made several as just two brands that come to mind.
Both Heym and Verney are offering the 500/416 which I like to see, I'm currently looking at doubles just made an offer on a Chapuis 416 Rigby yesterday but the seller knocked it back, wanted 7k more than I offered, too much for the gun in my opinion so I will let it go. I am going to get pricing on a new Verney and Heym in the 500/416 chambering.
 
I would look hard at the .450/.400 VC that is for sale on here. It’s an O/U which handles like a dream.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,349
Messages
1,573,678
Members
169,819
Latest member
memoceptcanada
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top