WANTED: African Low Fence/Unfenced Plains Game Hunt

@Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia!
Namibia is beautiful, huge country. The Strauss family do an amazing job. They hunt on huge no fence/low -livestock fence properties and are expert at putting you on big, old bulls/rams.
There are many reviews right here on AH to read.
All hunting in Namibia is technically partially fenced. Lol

I’m curious about the fence thing in Africa, having never been. In the USA, people pay a premium to hunt trophy elk and mule deer on fenced and gated private land, often times costing significantly more than a plains game Africa hunt. 10,000 - 20,000 acres is a pretty good sized ranch in the western states. Honest question: What is the difference?
I regularly hunt a ranch here in NE Wyoming that is around 80,000 acres. Lots of sagebrush. Trees in the draws and a small stream down the center. It seems easier to hunt than say my recent hunt with Tsala in RSA. Their 10,000 acres of bushveld had far more cover than where I commonly hunt. The fence there had no influence on animal behavior nor how we hunted it. The animals there seemed as wild as what I hunted in WY. A lot depends on available COVER as well as how many roads there are available. 10,000 acres of bushveld has more cover than 80,000 acres of prairie IMHO.
Bruce

I have hunted Africa before. I am searching for a low fence (unfenced?) plains game hunt for me and my nephew. I want him to experience Africa, but not on a "game farm." Plains game is our focus. Thank You.
Hi Takemelord

I understand what it is you are looking for. a Good start would be to do some research to decide what species and experience you are interested in for him and for you seeing that if species doesn't naturally occur in the area that you are hunting you are already going down a path that you don't want to.

a Second consideration would be the available budget, bigger blocks and different countries can come with a different price tag and hunting some of those blocks can be difficult in terms of game movement, time of year and availability of water for instance can have a big influence on the success of your hunt.

If you want your nephew to hunt on an area with the full big five or even dangerous seven on it and experience the different encounters you would already start looking at certain options and by process of illumination find the right place for your safari.

Africa has many options and can cater for various situations from bringing the whole family all the way through to hardcore hunting and putting in hours, sweat, and blood. Finding the right place for you would boil down to what you would want and being specific in what you want is very important.

Asking the right questions would also help in making your decision, for instance, would we be hunting on different properties? What would the traveling time be between these properties? Is the camp or lodge on the same property that you will be hunting?

My "questions" mentioned above is not to blow anyone out of the water, allot of different and successful outfits run on different ways and that works for them, you need to find out what works for you.

Best of luck and let us know if you have found what you are looking for, the planning searching and dreaming about all of it is part of the journey and the fun!!

Kind regards.
Aj Fourie.

This Fence vs no Fence debate never dies down.

There is a huge difference between a zoo, large fenced area where animals sustain themselves excpet for man build waterholes and even comparing it to Europe and Nort America where seasons are strict while in Southern Africa hunting happens the whole year round.

Animals become more warry being hunted 10 months out of 12 and wkith enough space and brush to hide in you can drop off animals that is used for adding new blood and never see them again.

As long as there is enough space to roam and do their things without being manipulated by fence and smaller enclosers its all good.

Anyway AJ did a very good post above and in the end every hunt comes with borders even if you don't see them. A buffalo can wounded and then cros the line into National park you would then sure wish there was a fence.

Better larger areas comes with a price like everything else but do homework like previous posters mentioned you can hunt a 50 000 acres spot but in order to run it they have to have 4 hunters there hunting there at all time which means you dont have full access to the 50 000 acres everyday.

I suspect the OP has requirements assumed that exceed no/fence or low fence hunting. He probably wants to hunt on his terms, not in the narrow “wild” hunting season of that exists in RSA outside of fenced estates.

He probably doesn’t want to see majority non-indigenous game nor does he want to see line bred genetics creating golden oryx’s, or copper springbok, or unique colored blesbok and wildebeest. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I’m inferring when we go down these line of ”purist” questions.

So that points to a hunt in Namibia that will have about four plains game species in relative abundance, or Zimbabwe where you could hunt 8-10 species on a long enough safari, or roughly the same in Zambia.

As many of you know, I’m biased in favor of Zimbabwe because I think it’s 1/3rd the price of Tanzania, perhaps only 20%-25% more than RSA, and you can indeed meet such requirements there.

@NKWE SAFARIS Botswana you will look long and hard to beat this outfit not onky for exceptional trophy quality but a real bush experience....take well worn in boots...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg