Wanted 375 H&H

If it’s CRF I’m amazed it isn’t already long gone..

I saw close to a dozen 375 win 70’s yesterday at a local gun show… the cheapest one (CRF stainless classic) was $1800….

If it’s CRF I’m amazed it isn’t already long gone..

I saw close to a dozen 375 win 70’s yesterday at a local gun show… the cheapest one (CRF stainless classic) was $1800….
Dave, which show was that? I was at the Dallas Arms Collectors show at SouthFork ranch earlier today, and I saw a pretty nice Whitworth Express 375 H&H for $895 OBO. Even though I already have one, it was still kind of tempting. :)

I saw the whitworth also :)

I was just referencing the Win 70’s in the earlier post…

The whitworth looked like it had been used hard over the years, but was functionally still in good shape.. I was thinking it was going to need $500 in TLC to get it where I’d want it.. but it would’ve been a $1200 gun once finished… if he had been $100 cheaper I probably would have snatched it up… even though I don’t really need another 375… :)

The whitworth looked like it had been used hard over the years, but was functionally still in good shape.. I was thinking it was going to need $500 in TLC to get it where I’d want it.. but it would’ve been a $1200 gun once finished… if he had been $100 cheaper I probably would have snatched it up… even though I don’t really need another 375… :)
Yeah; I agree with your assessment, and had the number $750 bouncing around in my head. I didn't actually make an offer because part of me was afraid he would accept it. ;-)

I also recall seeing the guy with a table of several pre-64 Model 70's, but I didn't remember any of them being 375 H&H's. The knife sharpening guy in the back corner had a Whitworth 375 with a synthetic stock on his table; I think he was asking $850(?).

Are the Whitworth's good guns?

I don't know anything about them.

Nothing fancy… but generally reliable and accurate commercial mausers… typically much more affordable than most other DG chambered offerings…

In my opinion they are a very good option for a working man’s DG rifle in 375

Nothing fancy… but generally reliable and accurate commercial mausers… typically much more affordable than most other DG chambered offerings…

In my opinion they are a very good option for a working man’s DG rifle in 375
Sound be able to find an upgraded stock for it and jazz it up a little then.
What would you do the one you were looking at $500 to get it where you want it.
I don't own a Mauser so I am not up with what needs to be done to them. I own Model 70s (Classic and Pre-64 and a Montana Rifle Co gun with CRF but don't really know Mausers.

Thanks for the replies

It very well could have been $1600 but it was still good deal I didnt pay much attention to it as I already have one.

Sound be able to find an upgraded stock for it and jazz it up a little then.
What would you do the one you were looking at $500 to get it where you want it.
I don't own a Mauser so I am not up with what needs to be done to them. I own Model 70s (Classic and Pre-64 and a Montana Rifle Co gun with CRF but don't really know Mausers.

Thanks for the replies

I would have put a new stock on it (the one it was resting in was on its last leg both functionally and visually..).. and would have put a new finish on it (probably wouldnt have invested in a new bluing.. but probably would have looked at something like a "blue" duracoat or cerakote)... Its never going to be a rigby or a holland and holland.. so no reason to spend a fortune on premium "appearances"... I'd just try to get the gun as clean and functional as possible on a budget (basic boyds walnut stock.. $250.. cerakote.. $200.. etc..)..

I didnt feel the trigger or action on it.. but I'd guess they were both ok.. whitworth triggers are pretty decent as is in my experience.. and the action didnt appear to have anything wrong with it..

I would have put a new stock on it (the one it was resting in was on its last leg both functionally and visually..).. and would have put a new finish on it (probably wouldnt have invested in a new bluing.. but probably would have looked at something like a "blue" duracoat or cerakote)... Its never going to be a rigby or a holland and holland.. so no reason to spend a fortune on premium "appearances"... I'd just try to get the gun as clean and functional as possible on a budget (basic boyds walnut stock.. $250.. cerakote.. $200.. etc..)..

I didnt feel the trigger or action on it.. but I'd guess they were both ok.. whitworth triggers are pretty decent as is in my experience.. and the action didnt appear to have anything wrong with it..

@cash_tx @mdwest There were two whitworths at the Southfork show in Dallas. One was ugly in a composite stock and was modified and looked to be heavy use. The other that the older fella had and was asking 895 for well it went home with me for 750 OTD Sunday afternoon. It looks new unfired. bolt, trigger and magazine area still have factory cosmo/oil. Bolt face is for sure unfired.

ppqhK6n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@cash_tx @mdwest There were two whitworths at the Southfork show in Dallas. One was ugly in a composite stock and was modified and looked to be heavy use. The other that the older fella had and was asking 895 for well it went home with me for 750 OTD Sunday afternoon. It looks new unfired. bolt, trigger and magazine area still have factory cosmo/oil. Bolt face is for sure unfired.

View attachment 520504
$750 OUT is an outstanding deal! you did great.

Now I wish I had spent the time to ask him what his bottom line was on the gun! I dont need another 375.. but for $750 I absolutely would have snatched it up..

View attachment 520504
Yeah; same as @mdwest, I was right on the verge of making him an offer (at $750), I was afraid the he might actually take it. I didn't need another 375, but I would have been inclined to still jump on a great deal like that. Congratulations!

PS - that synthetic stocked 375 that the knife sharpening guy had on his table did not interest me at all. I am a walnut-and-blued-steel guy for most rifles; I just gotta have that classic look.

Any suggestions on how to remove this OD green paint without damaging the stock/metal?

A12353B4-6379-4344-9C63-E4B672CE6315.jpeg
1FAB4DA4-D6D5-4DDE-81FA-ECFBABB6F9B4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.