Wanenmacher Gun Show-Tulsa

bobdahunter84

AH senior member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some firsthand knowledge if this gun show would be worth my time. I've been spending the past few winters driving around Wisconsin at the local gun shows on the weekends when I have time, and am always extremely disappointed. They're mostly small and full of crap guns, AR15s, non-related gun junk, and mostly overpriced when you do find something halfway decent. So I considered flying out to Tulsa to spend the weekend at the Wanenmacher Gun Show in April. I'm generally interested in pre64 Winchesters (I particularly like custom ones), but would also be interested in the originals (or mostly originals) if it's a chambering I don't have. Also like Weatherbys. I'm specifically looking for a Weatherby Athena at the moment if I can find one priced right.

So again, am I wasting my time by booking a trip out there? They say if you spend every minute there they're open, and look at everything, you only have 15 seconds at each table. So if I go, is it really 2 full days to see everything? I have 2 little kids at home (1 and 6), so it has to be well worth it for the hell I'll catch from "the boss" to hop on a bird and go to Oklahoma for the weekend to look at guns.

It's the gun show to go to. I've not seen anything to compare.... What you've heard is no exaggeration. If you really want to look at guns as well as gun related stuff and only miss parts of it,, yes you need two days. Leaving your wife behind with two little kids, that is your call. Sounds like a dumb ass move but you will fit right in here with that attitude;) Especially after your divorce...... So go and realize you have a great support group of enablers who will help you spend your money on guns and hunting.... if you have any left!

It's the gun show to go to. I've not seen anything to compare.... What you've heard is no exaggeration. If you really want to look at guns as well as gun related stuff and only miss parts of it,, yes you need two days. Leaving your wife behind with two little kids, that is your call. Sounds like a dumb ass move but you will fit right in here with that attitude;) Especially after your divorce...... So go and realize you have a great support group of enablers who will help you spend your money on guns and hunting.... if you have any left!

Ha. Thanks for confirming it's worth the trip and it's what they advertise.

She'll be okay. I smartly asked her if she wanted to go, knowing that she wouldn't. And I smartly asked if I could bring my oldest, which she said no to because she said he'd be bored. I knew those answers before I asked, but it was good for optics. I'm also taking them all to the Dominican for spring break, so daddy needs a vacation too! She likes the hot weather and beaches--but that's not my cup of tea. My ideal vacation generally includes having a gun or bow in my hand! Looking for a new gun or guns to add to the collection would be a close second!

I haven't been in several years, but it definitely lived up to its reputation. I think I'll try to get back up there again this time around. It's only a few hours drive from Dallas, and it helps that I've got family to stay with while up there.

I’m going again in April. It’s hands down the best gun show I’ve ever been to. The number and quality of firearms you’ll see there is unmatched.

When I lived in Oklahoma I went to both they had each year. When I was travel nursing and living in different states, I made sure to go to at least one per year. I enjoy the show and haven’t ever been disappointed. Personally, I would not take kids to it or a non interested spouse because they will get bored and your day will be less enjoyable.
My parents and kids still live in OK so I go to the show and get a visit in with them as well.
Just my two cents. Safe travels and enjoy your trip if you make it out! :)

Another show you may want to consider is the Colorado Gun Collector’s show. The show has moved locations since COVID, but it still keeps modern guns out of the show. It is more vintage rifles than shotguns.

CGCA

Ken

I am excited anticipating going again to this show. Unless you have an excellent memory, it helps to have a way to remember the table where you saw something interesting that you might want to go back to. I have had trouble finding it later.

We went last year. There were a lot of nice guns but it was so crowded that we did not find it enjoyable. Also, the asking prices were far above Guns International prices.

Safe travels

We went last year. There were a lot of nice guns but it was so crowded that we did not find it enjoyable. Also, the asking prices were far above Guns International prices.

Safe travels
It does get crowded. I have to set my dislike of crowds aside. Even then it’s tough. The prices are a bit steep, but it’s selection makes it worth the trip. Anyone wanting an obscure or rare gun will likely find it there. I’ve had some success haggling there, too!

It does get crowded. I have to set my dislike of crowds aside. Even then it’s tough. The prices are a bit steep, but it’s selection makes it worth the trip. Anyone wanting an obscure or rare gun will likely find it there. I’ve had some success haggling there, too!
Definitely need to haggle;) And look out so you don't get run over by Gramps on a mobility scooter!

I am excited anticipating going again to this show. Unless you have an excellent memory, it helps to have a way to remember the table where you saw something interesting that you might want to go back to. I have had trouble finding it later.
I can second that! Can be a major snafu.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Trip was booked today. And the wife surprisingly didn't seem to care. She thought i booked it months ago when I first brought it up to her. Looking forward to going!

As the others have said or suggested, this is the "gun show" to go to. And have no doubt in your mind. This is a gun show, and a huge one at that!!! Last time I was there all of the AR and AK crap was in a separate area. Pre-64s, RSMs, collectable Winchester lever guns, and a fair share of British Bolts and doubles. Its been a few years since I was there. This thread makes me want to visit again. Get there first thing Saturday morning. As ActionBob said, watch out for the wheel chairs.

I hope to see some older 1911's under glass at tables manned by guys on oxygen tanks at a price that tells you they're really not for sale. ;-)
I never bought a 1911 there but I am sure you will be able find many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilianDono

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.