W.J. Jeffery, Verney-Carron, Krieghoff

There is a guy on Texas Bowhunter forum that has two boxes of Kynoch 475 #2 amm for sale.
Looks like that forum requires me to join before I can see the classified posts. Do you happen to know if the ammo is 500gr (Jeffery) or 480gr (Eley)? Mine is the Jeffery caliber.

Looks like that forum requires me to join before I can see the classified posts. Do you happen to know if the ammo is 500gr (Jeffery) or 480gr (Eley)? Mine is the Jeffery caliber.
8CC35C16-15A4-44B3-89AB-8891A1E616D3.jpeg

pic from his post. He wants $75 a box plus shipping.

@Troubleshooter I would appreciate that. What do you need from me? It does have a buffalo engraved on both sides of the receiver. Favors a Cape more than a Water, but I've been told that most 475 No 2's went to India so there is that.

Sourdough, you could check the barrels to ascertain whether they are nickel steel or Krupps (the latter would read as "Krupps Flusstahl") but based on the photos in your other thread on this rifle, I'm pretty confident that it is a Model 12. The engraving may well have been added by the distributor (or perhaps by Jeffery if the order was sufficiently large).

The "Season 1910-11" catalogue listed the .475 No 2 as available in the following rifles:

The No. 1 Pattern and No. 2 Pattern were offered in .400 Bore, with .450, .475, and .577 as options. But these were sidelocks, whereas yours is obviously a boxlock.​
The No. 11 Model Rifle was a boxlock chambered in either .475 No. 2 or .450 No. 2, and offered with either nickel or Krupps steel barrels. However, the "forepart fastener" was a lever, whereas yours is of the A&D button type. So that's eliminated too.​
The No. 12 Model Rifle was a boxlock in .475 No.2 or .450 No. 2 calibers. Barrels were nickel steel, 24" in length. No mention is made of the "forepart fastener" nor is it illustrated, so that remains consistent with the photos of your rifle. The rifle as listed in the catalogue was not engraved, which is why I think the water buffalo may have been added by the distributor. It was offered w/o ejectors (consistent with your description) and with (No. 12) or without (No. 12a) chequered grip. Ejectors could be added to the No. 12 at additional cost.​
Based on all that, I'm fairly confident that yours is a No. 12 Model Rifle, retailed at a cost of £ 30 0 0. You'll need to run it through an inflation calculator in Pounds Sterling and then convert to US Dollars to determine whether you overpaid! :S Dollar:

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Let's see if I can attach a scan of the listing in the "Season 1910-11 Jeffery's Guns, Rifles, & General Shooting Accessories."

Jeffery Model 12.jpg

@Troubleshooter thanks! It does have a Krupps steel barrel. Stamped is "Flusstahl Krupps ????" the third word being unreadable as I don't have a magnifying glass.

If the V-C fits you well you can't go wrong! In my opinion fit is essential.

@southern_fowler well I joined the Texas Bowhunter forum but they require 30 posts before I can see the Classifieds section. And I'm pretty sure in my entire life I haven't nocked 30 arrows. :oops:

Thank you much for the assist though. I'd love to buy those from him.

@Troubleshooter thanks! It does have a Krupps steel barrel. Stamped is "Flusstahl Krupps ????" the third word being unreadable as I don't have a magnifying glass.
On mine the third word is "ESSEN" which is the German city in which they were manufactured. It is more difficult to read on mine as well, as that one word seems to have been less clearly stamped. The "Flusstahl Krupps" is very legible though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.