Von Gruff sheaths

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
this heading might be a little arronius, as garry's std sheaths are basically similar in design to many.
they do not appear to follow the current trend of using cheaper leather and more basic stitching with substandard thread.
the basic design minimizes a problem when using knives in the field.
this is not how fast you can get the knife out, but what to do with it when not using it.
all sorts of sheaths have been made to look like a Hollywood gunslingers holster, or a navy seal's weapon pack.
when dealing with skinning or cutting up in the field, the biggest time waster is having to put the knife somewhere while doing something else like punching off skin or turning the carcass over.
when you have done this the knife if left on the ground will be under the body, around the other side, or accidentally moved to a different place.
by the time you retrieve it, you have wasted a lot of time, and this will happen more than once.
in my case this also adds to back pain.
the basic sheath of garry's allows the knife to easily be inserted, so it goes where you go, and is there ready to go.
bruce.

The idea behind the slightly longer belt loop is that the knife in the sheath can/will be carried with it behind the hip out of the way of a slung rifle etc and when you are at the grassed animal the rifle is securely leaned against or on somthing convenient to keep it safely out of the way of elbows and feet so it is not damaged during the operation about to be commenced. The sheath is moved round to just forward of the hip bone so the knife can easily be returned with visual reference to the sheath mouth for directing the knife accurately without cutting of the mouth of the sheath or slicing into any part of the sheath on entry.

Von Gruff is not only a knife maker, he is a knife user. That is why his offerings are so practical. You get proven designs for different tasks made from quality steels with handles (scales) to your liking. Can you tell that I'm a very satisfied customer??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!