Vintage British Doubles

Got the Boss into action to see if it lives up to the hype.

I’m near 100% effective with the right barrel but seem to struggle getting a double. Could be my very average shotgun skills :cool:

I thought the underlever would severely hamper or slow me down. It’s not bad at all to operate while hunting pigeons. I’m not sure I could be proficient on a driven bird hunt with it.


IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4082.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4081.jpeg
    IMG_4081.jpeg
    8.4 MB · Views: 38
Pressed the James Erskine Scottish Round body 28 bore into action also. My lack of shotgunning skills showed up using the 28 on fast moving pigeons.

It’s comical how the pigeon looks the size of a goose next to the diminutive 28
IMG_4133.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4131.jpeg
    IMG_4131.jpeg
    10.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4132.jpeg
    IMG_4132.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 44
Sorry for the hijack, but I have a question that seems relevant for this thread. I am pretty knowledgeable about rifles, but have average knowledge of shotguns. I would really like to get an old side by side and learn to shoot it properly. But, I am left handed. I can probably manage triggers, opening leavers, etc. But would it be possible to get something without cast on? I doubt there are any / many left handed older sxs shotguns out there.
 
Neutral cast sxs are fairly common, lefties do exist and go dirt cheap.
Thanks, So far I have enquired about a few and they have all been cast on for right handers. Its encouraging to hear that neutral cast was common, as I was starting to think they were all built with cast to suite right handers back in the day.
 
I am also Left Handed and pretty finicky about gun fit .. Ask about ... A good Smith can Bend the stock and give you the cast you need ..
 
Another place to look is Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company (CSMC). They should have both neutral and LH vintage shotguns. If not, they can make one for you at extremely reasonable prices.

Wonderful people to deal with too.
 
If that particular gun is a candidate. Bending the stock is fairly easy and very reasonable.
 
Sorry for the hijack, but I have a question that seems relevant for this thread. I am pretty knowledgeable about rifles, but have average knowledge of shotguns. I would really like to get an old side by side and learn to shoot it properly. But, I am left handed. I can probably manage triggers, opening leavers, etc. But would it be possible to get something without cast on? I doubt there are any / many left handed older sxs shotguns out there.

You do not want a vintage side by side without cast. That does not mean it is ambidextrous. Everything about a quality side by side is either right handed or left handed. The triggers are swept. The comb is angled for the right or left jaw. The toe is flared the direction of the handedness.

What you want is a left handed vintage shotgun. They are uncommon, but very, very hard to sell so your dollars will go much farther than a right handed person's dollars. A $15,000 right handed shotgun may sell for $9000 as a left handed shotgun.
 
Thanks, So far I have enquired about a few and they have all been cast on for right handers. Its encouraging to hear that neutral cast was common, as I was starting to think they were all built with cast to suite right handers back in the day.
My grandfather was a lefty and both his double shotguns were no cast: a Fox and a Smith. These were simple field grade guns he used hunting his whole life. Agree with Rookhawk that doesn’t make them left handed but his guns were not for competition and Depends what you are looking for.
 
You do not want a vintage side by side without cast. That does not mean it is ambidextrous. Everything about a quality side by side is either right handed or left handed. The triggers are swept. The comb is angled for the right or left jaw. The toe is flared the direction of the handedness.

What you want is a left handed vintage shotgun. They are uncommon, but very, very hard to sell so your dollars will go much farther than a right handed person's dollars. A $15,000 right handed shotgun may sell for $9000 as a left handed shotgun.
Yes, I understand a neutral cast gun does not make it left handed. For me it should do the job. I understand its a compromise.
 
Try Vintage Doubles. Kirby Hoyt usually has a number of no cast or cast on guns for lefty
Another place to look is Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company (CSMC). They should have both neutral and LH vintage shotguns. If not, they can make one for you at extremely reasonable prices.

Wonderful people to deal with too.
I live in Australia, so far fewer options here. I will have to ask people here who know the shotgun scene far better than me as I am sure some dealer would have something that would suit.
 
Yes, I understand a neutral cast gun does not make it left handed. For me it should do the job. I understand its a compromise.

Why buy the wrong type of gun that won't fit you instead of the right kind of gun, probably for less money? I've seen neutral cast guns that actually were lefty guns that couldn't be sold for much money. They spent $250 having it steam bent to neutral cast to sucker a righty into buying a lefty gun.

Combs are not symetrical in a proper British shotgun. Cast off or cast on, the stock is still for the left cheek or the right cheek of a face.

if you want some zero cast abomination, browning, mossberg, etc make them by the millions. Not a fine gun, not a particularly comfortable gun. Not a neutral or appreciating asset.

I think for equal or lesser money if you have a reasonable budget for a fine side by side, you can get a lefty gun. As I've said, they are nearly impossible to sell and you'll be the delight of the merchant for even showing interest in it. (their first potential buyer in a very long time)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,567
Members
169,586
Latest member
MichaelaTo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top