Very disappointed in my dip and pack company

Jasper99

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I just saw my Africa trophies that arrived at my taxidermist 6 months later. Several of the horns were overcooked and my waterbuck is basically ruined and will have to be rebuilt and painted. The ones that weren't overcooked have to be boiled some more as they have too much o in them still. I wish they were all that way, however. Is this a common problem? For those that have had issues were you able to get the dip and pack company to make any amends? Here are a couple of pics of my waterbuck horns. Pieces were flaking off as I held them. Very disappointed.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY sad to see this type of service... I assume it was delivered from RSA? or is it some other country in Africa? I have had horns etc sent from Tanzania, Zambia and obviously many done locally in RSA and NEVER have I seen such poor conditions. I would contact the P & D company and take them on... fix ( if possible???? ) or replace with similar.
let me know how you get on here.

Have you ever seen those companies do boiling?......I cry a little each time..... quality control is lacking many days.

When I clean skull in the states I do it with great care.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your story , which P&D company did you use ?

The first question that needs to be asked is this:
Did they show at the D&P that way to start with?

Usually, the D&P company only Dips them in insecticide and Packs them in a crate to ship them to you. The initial trophy prep is already done at the Outfitter.

The Outfitter is the guy I would be contacting about my concerns.

Last edited:
I am so sorry that happened... I would be pretty pissed as well.

I just had someone with experience, more than my own, share with me that the flaking on younger set of horns should be expected.

I did notice this kind of flaking on my Gemsbok horns from Namibia when it arrived a few years ago. Perhaps not as pronounced because it was an older bull.

Just another factor to consider.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was very happy with the outfit that did mine out of Port Elizabeth. The taxidermist here in Ca was pleased with their work also.

Sorry to hear that, and welcome to the club. I also went through a bad experience.

As to making amends, I would not expect too much.

Yes this was out of RSA. I'm holding off on the outfit name until I hear back from them and learn more. Thanks very much for the help and info! Have a blessed day! John

John, I look forward to hearing about the resolution with your Outfitter and the D&P.
I hope you have good luck.

Jeezz !
What a mess .
Shit , hope my stuff is better .
I have to admit im a bit nervous .
Saw one photo from the taxi dermis off my 2 kudu heads , the skulls looked overboiled .
All the nose bones had gone .
Hope im wrong ??
Good luck with your repairs Jasper hope all works out .

I have noticed on euro mounts from SA that there are no nasal bones. It looks like they use a screwdriver to clean out the cavity.
I have also gotten a skull from black bear from Canada that is missing the same bones, but the outfitter did the cleaning.

Other than the euro from SA I was quite impressed with how my dip and pack was handled from Port Elizabeth, even my taxidermist here in the US was impressed with how things were taken care of and how it was packed when he received it.

BRICKBURN is right... it all STARTS with the field preparation during the hunt. Correct boiling of skulls, correct skinning ( particular FULL MOUNTS with cats - paws/ claws/ nose/ears etc)..salting of the hides and correct folding.
Years ago in Zambia I had some nice Kafue lechwe and beautiful Chobe bushbuck that I sent to the taxidermist in Lusaka... he refused to accept them as the wrong salt was used in the hide preparation... said the hair would fall out in a few years. I was willing to risk it BUT he still refused... saying his reputation was at stake. Good for him... I lost those trophies..

Hi there, I also noticed that that was quite a young waterbuck.

I cleaned the skull of a defassa waterbuck of roughly the same age/size of yours this year and have exactly the same problem with the flaking. I thought perhaps it was because I had soaked the skull in a stream for a few weeks, but I do think that in younger animals the horn-materials are not as solidly held together. Perhaps in waterbuck more so than other species.

There isn't much one can do. I have heavily oiled mine with linseed and then sanded them down a bit. You'll find the horn material below the fibres will still be intact.

For those of you who have had flaking issues with waterbuck or other horns, what happened in the end? Was your taxidermist able to repair them to your satisfaction? Would love to see some pics. Thanks!

I had some flaking on my Gemsbok and also on my Buffalo.
Not terribly extensive.

The Buffalo I painted for general aesthetics. My choice. Light spraying of flat black.
They had to clean all the tree bark out of the horns for shipping disinfecting.
That left it various colours, so paint was it.

The Gemsbok, after I cleaned the disinfectant off was oiled and not painted.
I quite trying to make it smooth, like I thought it was in the field and left it alone and it is up on the wall.
I can tell you the Gemsbok bases looked very similar to your picture of your Waterbuck.

Waterbuck are notorious for flaking !!! I have repaired several sets and most can be done with some good results. I know this might sound crazy but check your harvest pics- I'm betting the waterbuck horns were already flaking on the animal while it was alive. My first waterbuck was bad and the outfitter was able to get a replacement set for me .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg