Venison Sausage

I’ve made black spring bear summer sausage!!! The best so far. For venison I used cabelas summer sausage along with pork fat 15%. Hard to beat with crackers and cheese. Use oak smoke then an ice bath to stop the cooking. Enjoy

Made 30 lbs of venison summer sausage this year using the cabelas spice kit.. I mixed with 20% ground pork..

Added fresh garlic and fresh finely chopped jalapeños...

Smoked using pear wood until 160 degrees in the center...

Soooooooo good!

Thanks to all for the great responses!
Time to get to work!
:D Cheers:

@buck wild @Tra3

Now that’s one I hadn’t thought of is fresher spices and herbs. Much appreciated, thanks!

It makes a huge difference.

When you settle on a recipe.
Mix it up and after the batch has settled a bit, grab a sample and cook/fry it it in small patties.
Let the family/friends try it and provide feedback. Adjust the recipe, rinse a repeat until everyone is happy. Mix up the final recipe and stuff away. (Add small amounts and test.)

Smaller batches ALWAYS taste better. I assume its due to the more thorough mixing.

Some fresh spices also tend to "bloom" during storage. Fresh Fennel Seed for instance can grow to over power the batch. (I will never make that mistake again)

It makes a huge difference.

When you settle on a recipe.
Mix it up and after the batch has settled a bit, grab a sample and cook/fry it it in small patties.
Let the family/friends try it and provide feedback. Adjust the recipe, rinse a repeat until everyone is happy. Mix up the final recipe and stuff away. (Add small amounts and test.)

Smaller batches ALWAYS taste better. I assume its due to the more thorough mixing.

Some fresh spices also tend to "bloom" during storage. Fresh Fennel Seed for instance can grow to over power the batch. (I will never make that mistake again)
Thanks for the tip!

Most home butchers ive known do not add enough fat to there sausage.
If it has lass than 20% fat then it is ground meat, not sausage.

Jalapeño and cheese deer sausage with 40 percent pork. Not sure you can buy the spices but Bellville Meat Market, Belleville, Texas is good stuff.

To add to the comment by @BRICKBURN I too like to test the sausage we make as we are making it. Another easy way is to wrap a small portion in shrink wrap (cellophane) and put it in a pot of boiling water. You can make a variety of bite size pieces as you go. Then the flavors from one batch won’t blend in the pan.

Thank you gents, great ideas, I’ll be putting them to good use. Much appreciated!

I've put a whole bunch of meat through my smoker over the years. Lot's of beef, pork, turkey, even ground up a 400lb black bear into sausage and they usually turn out pretty decent. I've done venison sausage quite a few times too. I seem to do well with the process. After a whole lot of practice, the texture and moisture content comes out great.

My issue really is flavor/seasoning. It always seems to be ok. Edible. Could be worse. Dog doesn't gag when he walks by. You get it.

But, I'm looking for that eye opening, gotta-have-another-piece-of-that, seasoning mix that really makes it worth it.

I've tried some of the store bought packages, my neighbor's brother's in-law's cousin's great great great grandpaw's secret sausage recipe, and a few variations of my own concoctions but there's something I'm not getting right with the venison sausage.

I grind the meats together. I've tried grinding the meats with the seasonings as per previous suggestions. I've got the mixing time down pat. I just don't seem to get that snappy flavor out of the venison like I can get out of the others. I know it can be done because I've had some that's just killer. Just not out of my smoker yet.

I've got the freezer filled back up and it's time to start stuffing. SO...

Help!?
I just know it is hard to find a quality seasoning that does not have too much black pepper. Venison does not need to be overpowered but complimented. I agree with what you are saying about needing something snappy and not too blah.
Watching......

We just made a 100 pounds of sausage, regular hickory flavor, and Jalapeno flavor, we keep a electric fry pan close by to try some before casing it. We use about 17 pounds of venison to 8 pounds of pork butt, usually comes out great. Now for the best tasting stuff we make pastrami out of the hind quarters, brine it, rinse it, season it, smoke it, thin slice it on the slicer. Get some marble rye bread, swiss cheese, and coleslaw and you will have some good eats.

We just made a 100 pounds of sausage, regular hickory flavor, and Jalapeno flavor, we keep a electric fry pan close by to try some before casing it. We use about 17 pounds of venison to 8 pounds of pork butt, usually comes out great. Now for the best tasting stuff we make pastrami out of the hind quarters, brine it, rinse it, season it, smoke it, thin slice it on the slicer. Get some marble rye bread, swiss cheese, and coleslaw and you will have some good eats.
That sounds good too.
With all these great suggestions I think I'm going to have to add to the freezer some more. I still have a tag left for muzzleloader and one for the bow. ;)

If you are ever in South Africa try to get the " Ouma Boerewors" and "Droewors" spice from a company called "Crown National". They have a nice Biltong spice as well called "Safari Biltong Spice".
When I make Droewors I mix up the fat (40% of meat weight) and meat cubes together with the spices, Brown vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and then mince it twice. This ensures that the spices get mixed up nice in the mince. Stuff the mix in casings and hang to dry for approx 4-5 days .
This could be good incentive to hunt Africa again.:LOL:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Coriander is nice to add to any of the sausages and Biltong

@buck wild @Tra3

Now that’s one I hadn’t thought of is fresher spices and herbs. Much appreciated, thanks!
If you are doing a lot of fresh herbs there is nothing better for the chopping of it than a two handed ulu like the one I made for myself and another I am making now for an A H member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theron03S

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!