Used older scopes

The optical quality of current scopes is so much better than scopes from 30 years ago. I’ll stick with the new stuff.
 
As Billmc mentioned earlier, I too have an old B&L ScopeChief 2.5-10x. I use it occasionally if I’m having a problem on a new scope holding “0”. I’ll put it on to verify if it is the load, or the scope not working properly. It seems to always work even if not a modern coated glass.
Serves my purpose well.
 
I've had several old Weaver K 4s that were made in El Paso as well as an old Redfield that was made in Denver restored by http://ironsightinc.com/ Except for the few minutes I might loose at dusk and dawn my older scopes serve me just fine. I've also purchased an older Sworo from the guy Rookhawk mentioned. None of my older scopes have any problems holding zero.
 
Ill provide a little more reference @Ray B ...

I've read several articles that speak to this..

essentially there has been little or no improvement in the quality of glass used in rifle scopes and binoculars in decades.. what went into manufacturing the glass for a high quality optic 20-30 years ago is much the same as manufacturing the glass that will get put into a leupold or zeiss or swaro today..

what has changed dramatically though is the coating process for the glass.. and the quality of the internal mechanisms that allow the optic to focus, change magnification, etc..etc..

newer scopes are "clearer" and gather light better.. because of the coating processes the glass is exposed to during manufacturing has improved... not because the glass itself has improved...

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/how-hunting-optics-have-improved/
 
Thanks for the replies all, I did not realize my dad switched out scopes on his rifle a couple years back and he has a nice Redfield 3-9x40 laying around. It always held zero perfectly so this will work well for me.
 
Enjoy that Nice old Redfield
 
Yes. Grab a 30 year old Leupold and look through it. Then grab a current Leupold and look through it.

I have looked through several older Leupolds, Take your pick: Pioneer, Mountaineer, M7, M8, Mark4-M1, Alaskan, Vari-6. Differences in abilities but only minimal differences in light transmission (they don't "gather" light). So unless I go out jack-lighting deer, I don't see a significant advantage to the newer scopes with regard to light transmission. So, if there is a difference, I would like to see a test where a light meter was attached to each scope for given low light situations and the amount of light making it through the scope had a quantitative score.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,426
Messages
1,575,808
Members
170,390
Latest member
DYOHenriet
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top