US Passport Update

You can check the status of your passport on the web. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html My wife applied for hers just as the COVID stuff was getting started. According to the link above her info was received on March 17 and is still in process. We have a trip planned for April of 2021 so have some time yet but it looks to me like anybody needing to get or renew within a year should get on it ASAP

That doesn't sound good, received in mid March and over two months later, still "in process" for a simple renewal?

Irving, Texas office

You are a lucky man. Philly is still in lockdown mode.

Own an airplane. When it comes to annual inspections, one gets a new appreciation for the last minute. :D

That doesn't sound good, received in mid March and over two months later, still "in process" for a simple renewal?

I bet this is entering in to it, unless you're chartering a jet, nobody's going anywhere international anytime soon.

Mine is "In Process". Which is good to know that it isn't lost.

On a humorous note I'm picturing some State Department employee working from home making my passport. Everything is printed on a laser jet printer, so forget anything anti-counterfeit. The photo will be hot melt glued and a little crooked. Something will be misspelled or my birthday will be from the 1800's.

Some of those type of ID's and documents look better than the real thing

I’ve traveled with a passport with less than 6 months on it. Maybe not the best idea . Didn’t have any problems though.

Mine has expired, and I need it renewed for a Sept Canadian moose hunt. Any hope of getting that done?

The current Gov website for passport apps and renewals states that the expedited service is "suspended" and the turn around time for regular processing of passports is "several months". I also suspect there is a large and growing backlog. Additionally I imagine the furloughed federal workers are enjoying an early and extended paid summer vacation due to the situation.

I also wonder why so many otherwise intelligent people are so eager to follow, like sheep, all the experts, who if asked, cannot answer how many similar respiratory viruses they've successfully fought and defeated over the past 30 years. hmmm?

Last edited:
Mine is "In Process". Which is good to know that it isn't lost.

On a humorous note I'm picturing some State Department employee working from home making my passport. Everything is printed on a laser jet printer, so forget anything anti-counterfeit. The photo will be hot melt glued and a little crooked. Something will be misspelled or my birthday will be from the 1800's.

The website states due to security reasons, they can't make them from home. The latest info there seems to indicated, processing is starting to speed up.

The website states due to security reasons, they can't make them from home. The latest info there seems to indicated, processing is starting to speed up.
Oh, I never thought they could take them home. Just a little humor.

Good to hear things are speeding up. Things would really improve if my trip can actually happen this year. Dern Magic 8 Ball is coming up with poor replies there.

Got an update this morning via email:

"Application Status: In Process

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we cannot provide an update on when you will receive your passport and the return of your citizenship documents until we resume normal operations and staff return to our agencies and centers.

While we continue to accept applications, process your payments, and safeguard your forms, we cannot update your passport status at this time. For more information, read our COVID-19 update."

I can just imagine the mountain of applications that are stacking up on someone's desk. Hopefully, that's not the case, but it is the US Govt we're talking about.

SUBMITTED MINE THE LAST WEEK IN FEB AND PAID EXPIDITED FEE! CHECK HAS CASHED 9 DAYS LATER BUT NO UPDATE!
WAS PLANNING ON RSA IN AUGUST BUT THATS NOW OUT, LOOKS LIKE EMERITS WILL FLY TO ZIM IN AUGUST BUT NO ENTRY TO RSA ALLOWED TIL FEB.
WORKING ON A BOTSWANA HUNT FOR SEPT/OCT VIA ZIM THEN BOTSWANA AIR, BUT IMPOSSIBLE AS LONG AS GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES ARE STAYING HOME WITH FULL PAY & BENEFITS WHILE MILLIONS ARE UNEMPLOYED WITH NO INCOME!

It was for a new passport, but it is still "in process" now. I got mine about 30 days before this and had it in about 4 or 5 weeks

I'm just curious, does anyone know if these offices are actually open at all? I can see them being closed to the public as walk ins, but are the staff all on furlough? Skeleton crews coming in on alternating work schedules?
Can't even imagine what the work flow is like or how long it will take to get caught up, especially if the offices are shut down until this all blows over. Between new passports and those being renewed, that's a lot of people depending on the work being done. The scenario where international travel resumes and a large percentage of people have no valid passport is a scary one.

Looks like they should be caught up about never, 12 weeks to do the backlogged, receiving approximately how many they are cranking out per week. Will see if numbers improve next week?

I'm just curious, does anyone know if these offices are actually open at all? I can see them being closed to the public as walk ins, but are the staff all on furlough? Skeleton crews coming in on alternating work schedules?
Can't even imagine what the work flow is like or how long it will take to get caught up, especially if the offices are shut down until this all blows over. Between new passports and those being renewed, that's a lot of people depending on the work being done. The scenario where international travel resumes and a large percentage of people have no valid passport is a scary one.
Philadelphia is open with limited employees. My sons passport is “in process” as well. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, that backlog number was staggering versus the amount going out. Next May doesn't sound so promising now.

I think its amazing that they have been on closure since March 19 with full salary and benefits being paid and not fully open! I think its government at its worst! The rest of the country is making efforts to work and many have been unemployed for weeks. I contacted my US Senator who is a personal
friend and his staffer who does State Department issues told me that even my application which was submitted the last week of Feb with expedited fee
would likely not be processed until late this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg