rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
IMG_1829.JPG

Here is a beautiful "culling belt" for your next safari.

Elephant leather and cape buffalo. I believe it is designed for medium to large calibers (e.g. 300Win to .375 HH and similar) and I know it will not fit my 500 Nitro express.

It will fit roughly 45.5" to 51.5". (assume you're going to wear it a bit loose and over a safari jacket) I'd say considering clothing you'd wear under it, it should fit a 40 waist up to a 48" waist approximately.

Paid a ton for this thing.

I'll take $200 shipped anywhere in the COTUS. You'll not find another in this generous size with these leathers AND that is made for cartridges smaller than .450NE!

email dtroymoritz at gmail dot com

So, are the sleeves too small for 404J?

Probably. You could always lube up the loops with a quality leather grease and try to stretch them, or you could do the old submerge the leather in water trick to stretch the loops.

At present I think it is designed for the smaller non-magnum nitro cartridges.

Thanks. Nice looking piece all the same.

Very nice looking and unique item!

I had a potential customer balk at the belt because it didn't have "closed ended loops". A bit of a clarification here for reference: Closed end loops are a manufacturing easy way out for preventing bullets to slip through on rimless cartridges. They work. They also can misalign the bullets and can (when leather wet with sweat or water) create a vacuum making it virtually impossible to get the ammo out of the belt.

The more labor intensive way to address the problem is to sew on a thick "rail stop" of leather to serve as a bullet stop. It prevents the shoulder from passing down past it and therefore the ammo cannot fall through. It prevents crushing or gouging of the bullets when you sit down or bend over which sewn shut belt loops may cause.

Each method would be the same effect if you were using round nosed bullets in larger calibers but not so with normal calibers. The way this belt is constructed is far superior for pointed non-magnum rifle bullets for the reasons outlined.

Last edited:
Still for sale? What about P&P to the UK?
Rookhawk may have a better answer, but I looked into this briefly.

It would be virtually impossible to ship something made out of elephant leather (Elephant being a CITES animal, depending) to the UK (or Canada, where I live), legally. Whether you declare the elephant leather or not, if the authorities notice it, the belt would be seized. I suppose it could theoretically be possible to get the right permits to import this, but you'd have to prove how the original elephant was taken, that the leather on the belt was from that elephant and no other, etc. y guess is that, in Canada at least, it would not work.

Too bad. A lovely belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross