United to discontinue taking guns to SA

I flew United from Newark to Joberg and back in September of 2021. No issues at all but did not take a gun. After travelling with a gun in 2014, I chose to take my crossbow this time.

Last edited:
Anybody know how they are doing in South America. I have a bunch of miles. Then I’m gone!

United added non stop flights from Newark to Joberg last year. I used them but did not transport a gun. Don't they understand that a good amount of people are hunters? This just reduces their business. Dumb!

Great!! Scheduled on tomorrow's flight, have been anxious reading about all the cancellations.

AMEX Delta Card - 90,000 Mile Welcome Offer

I long ago realized that Delta was the only airline for me when flying to Johannesburg! I always fly for free with Delta SkyMiles. They have what I think is an all-time high 90,000 mile welcome offer for new card holders (when referred by a current card holder, otherwise the offer is only 50,000)! I've included my referral link if you're interested, but THE OFFER EXPIRES IN TWO DAYS ON 8/24). The Platinum card will also reimburse the costs of getting a Global Entry card and gives you a companion-flys-free pass (lower 48) each year on renewal. Both of these more than offset the annual fee, and 90,000 miles is more than it cost me to fly to Joburg round trip last year from Phoenix. It's an outstanding deal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.08.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.08.47 AM.png
    584.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.08.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.08.51 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 76
I believe my trip in April 2023 will be the last I take my own rifle for plains game. KLM is now collecting 50euros coming and going. Airlink is charging a $65? fee coming and going. That doesn't count fees if you had someone prepare a a permit in RSA. If I didn't enjoy using my own rifle and handloads, I would be borrowing/renting Patrick's "Dark Angel".

AMEX Delta Card - 90,000 Mile Welcome Offer

I long ago realized that Delta was the only airline for me when flying to Johannesburg! I always fly for free with Delta SkyMiles. They have what I think is an all-time high 90,000 mile welcome offer for new card holders (when referred by a current card holder, otherwise the offer is only 50,000)! I've included my referral link if you're interested, but THE OFFER EXPIRES IN TWO DAYS ON 8/24). The Platinum card will also reimburse the costs of getting a Global Entry card and gives you a companion-flys-free pass (lower 48) each year on renewal. Both of these more than offset the annual fee, and 90,000 miles is more than it cost me to fly to Joburg round trip last year from Phoenix. It's an outstanding deal.
AMEX Delta Card incoming - thanks!

I guess you can still use a travel agent such as @TRAVEL EXPRESS and use the AMEX points for upgrades?

shootist, I'm glad you were able to take advantage of it. I've only ever booked my own trips, so not sure about using it for upgrades. The amount of SkyMiles it will take varies daily, just like the price paying cash can change daily. I just start watching the dates I want as early as they become available on the calendar, then buy the flight when the prices are at what I think will be their lowest. If it goes lower, you can just call Delta and they will refund the difference down to the lower price. Last year I did that three or four times, and ended up paying 84,000 miles. This year fuel prices have been higher, and I paid 96,000 miles. I've flown to South Africa four times now for free, and I still have enough points built up on Delta to fly several more times. I've also helped several other friends fly for free using the AMEX Delta points method. The card will also allow you to board in an earlier boarding group. I'd apply for the Global Entry as soon as possible if you don't already have it. Just charge the fee to the Delta card and it will issue a statement credit in the same amount soon after. It's a great deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillK

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.