United then Lufhansa?

CamoManJ

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Mexico & Canada
For my 1st safari and looking for optimal flight arrangements. I have many international flights under my belt but not to Africa & with suppressed firearms. In the past I have always preferred foreign carriers, but to Africa none meet my criteria, except on the way back. I am a long time member of United MileagePlus, premier access & use United club often. That being said, I have found a route that I’d like feedback on…please opine.
Going: Midland, Texas to IAH - EWR - JNB with United.
Returning: JNB - FRA - IAH on Lufthansa back to Midland, Texas. (2 x Classic 747-8 rides )
I am departing and arriving stateside at “red” firearms friendly airports, especially coming back into the US & Houston, Texas.
1.) What about transitioning through “blue” EWR airport? (I don’t think it will be a problem as long the guns are already checked in)
2.) What about Frankfurt & suppressed firearms?
3.) Any issues traveling with suppressed firearms using 2 different carriers? (I don’t think so)
Thank you.

I can comment on #1 about EWR. Just came back from RSA via United 2 weeks ago via EWR. First off, I don't have much knowledge on the suppressor but in terms of airports: It is federal laws. Once you step out of the airport, state laws take into effect. As long as you don't leave the airport and have all the proper paperwork for rifle and suppressor, no issue. Same airline connecting through EWR, I wouldn't worry. They will transfer the bags. Now if you had a long layover where you are staying in a hotel, different story. Then you can have issues.

This is why people traveling out of JFK have to be so careful. In the airport you are legal. Step outside into one of the 5 boroughs and it's a free ride in a cop car if they see you with firearms.

At one time United would only transfer firearms to SAA in London. Not sure about a LH to UA transfer.

I’m in Canada and just flew both ways through Frankfurt, it was a cluster they’ve changed the airport with Reno’s and no one seemed to know how you’re supposed get to my gate. The other thing they claim you need a permit in Frankfurt, it used to be if you transferred your firearms to your final destination you didn’t need it. I emailed them about and they sent me a notice in German that they received my email and that was the last I heard from them. I Sid take my firearms without the permit transferred to Windhoek without a problem

Went through Frankfurt in 2013 and had to have a firearm permit for transiting through there to Dulles back home. May be changed and would be good to check with Gracy or Travel Express. This is with non suppressed rifles.

I would recommend the Frankfurt route. I can assist you with the Frankfurt transit application if you like

I appreciate the responses. Yes, I’d like your assistance. I may go through Gracy Travel, they are based in my hometown in San Antonio & know several buddies who have used them with success in the past. It’s the suppressor that I want to make sure I do it right.

I am curious why you just don't fly United all the way? I believe you can still fly round trip United to EWR-JNB and back. The only down fall is having to stop in EWR where you may get hassle about guns. I would fly either Delta, Emeriates or Qater airlines. I really dislike United and beginning to also dislike Delta especially on long haul flights. If you get the authorization from emeritus or Water you will not have any hassles with guns or suppressors .

I am curious why you just don't fly United all the way? I believe you can still fly round trip United to EWR-JNB and back. The only down fall is having to stop in EWR where you may get hassle about guns. I would fly either Delta, Emeriates or Qater airlines. I really dislike United and beginning to also dislike Delta especially on long haul flights. If you get the authorization from emeritus or Water you will not have any hassles with guns or suppressors .
To avoid hassles, IAH has never given me issues with guns in the past, to enjoy a better airline & fly a classic 747 once again. Qatar was my first choice until I found out they don’t have anything between economy & business class…still might say screw it & go business on Qatar. Never will do an economy flight on a long haul flight again. Lufthansa’s premium economy has been comfortable and enjoyable enough for me @ a reasonable price on both their A380’s & 747-400. Thanks for the input.

Travel With Guns is in San Antonio..

I am going to Nimibia on June 13 and flying business from Houston. It's a long flight and booked it in January after the DSC . I enjoy my comfort too much.
Good luck

I forgot to say I am flying Qater

Manny…I hope you have a great trip & I’m looking forward to reading your hunt report & latest Qatar review.

How does the A350 compare to 787-9?
I’ve flown the latter, it was nice, quiet & comfortable…but the A380 is exceptionally comfortable, better than any plane I’ve been on. Sad to see it dying out, makes little sense to kill a good thing, except economically. 747-400’s are loud like a freight train, but awesome in its own way…I have yet to fly the 747-8, hope to see improvements. Thoughts?

If you're flying United and it's not too much more in cost, I highly recommend the premium plus economy. It was well worth the extra $800. Everyone in my party said it was well-worth it.

I've never flown A350's. I've flown a ton of Dreamliner 787-9's which is United. Never once saw the need for Polaris class. Supposedly, the A350's are head and shoulders more luxurious than the 787-9's. Their first/business class is supposedly far superior to United's Polaris.

The 787 is not a good plane to fly long haul as a passenger no matter what class of service except maybe first. In order to “fit” all the seats, each class of service has 1 inch shaved off the width. The 350 I’ve flown short haul so no complaints yet. I will take a 777 over both of those and a 747 over a 777 and an 380 premium economy or business over all others.

The 787 is not a good plane to fly long haul as a passenger no matter what class of service except maybe first. In order to “fit” all the seats, each class of service has 1 inch shaved off the width. The 350 I’ve flown short haul so no complaints yet. I will take a 777 over both of those and a 747 over a 777 and an 380 premium economy or business over all others.
That’s my experience precisely as well…the A380 hands down #1 & by far…God I love that plane! Then the 747-400, 777-300ER, 777-200LR and finally the 787-9 which I flew economy from LHR-IAH & it was ok, economy plus was sold out, it wasn’t too bad. The bigger and badder the better is true.

I’m in Canada and just flew both ways through Frankfurt, it was a cluster they’ve changed the airport with Reno’s and no one seemed to know how you’re supposed get to my gate. The other thing they claim you need a permit in Frankfurt, it used to be if you transferred your firearms to your final destination you didn’t need it. I emailed them about and they sent me a notice in German that they received my email and that was the last I heard from them. I Sid take my firearms without the permit transferred to Windhoek without a problem
You were flying two airlines in the Star Alliance Group so not necessary to recheck your guns when changing airlines. It's the way I do it every time I go to Africa.

As I recall, Lufthansa's gun handling fee at Joberg was kinda steep. My layover is always in Frankfurt or Zurich. Usually ten or eleven hours. I have been encouraged to take the bus downtown Frankfurt and tour the historic opera hall district, but I'm usually too tired for any sightseeing.

The FRA layover on the return is only 4.5 hrs, however going to JNB 13 hrs & I won’t tolerate that. Hence the compromise with Star Alliance using United going & Lufthansa returning & utilizing IAH as POE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross