Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
LIFE NRA, LIFE SCI, LIFE TTHA, RME
Hunted
South Africa, England, Scotland, North America
I was asked if I was interested in a red deer cull hunt, during the rut, in Scotland with CK Worldwide. The outfitter and guides are personal friends and they were interested in seeing if this trip might be something they could market. They were interested in my opinions. It was a fixed cost hunt w/dinners and drinks on the client. There was no limit on number of animals taken or sex past what you can find. There were no additional trophy fees. There were also options for roe and sika. This is a 100%, as free range a hunt, as one can get (not that high fence is a bad thing either). The hardest part IMHO of marketing this hunt is that one will see fixed rate, shoot all you can and also believe that they are going home with a HUGE horned trophy. While the possibility is there, from what I saw there is more likely going to be smallish or busted up horns. You may only be shooting hinds and does (honestly they want this). As long as the client understands the adventure this is a great hunt, should they market it. I will be personally going back again because I like this type of adventure.

I was able to spent time in Obam and Inveraray. Saw random castles (they are everywhere). I drove around a Loch Fyne (oysters were great). I also spent time south of Birmingham (went to Westley Richards) and 2 days in London.

During our time there, Scotland's west coast was hit by storm Bobet and this forced us to move south to outside Birmingham for an estate hunt for muntjac. Although I was not able to harvest one, between the pouring rain and they aren't easy to find, it was an experience none the less. I have an invite to go back for them as well as southern England fallow.

9A699A9F-51CE-439F-8001-0ECC686DE0F9.JPG

I don't hunt anymore with huge expectations of huge horns. I not saying I'll pass on a large trophy, but a decent representation of the area's game is as good as making the record books. I enjoy a challenge, adventure and new places to see. It's about the entire experience and the stupid stories that make for a good laugh and your mind's eye memories. There is nothing like being somewhere on this earth and knowing that no human, other than you, has ever stood on that patch of ground. I was able to harvest a nice 'hart of 10' (5x5). I found they value symmetry and wear more than shear mass and points. I also harvested a sika stage (rare to see and shoot from what they tell me) and a roe buck. The sika was old and spiked and the roe buck had one horn. They will make nice bottle openers and zipper pulls. After that it was just hinds. I did put a very nice 1.5 hour stalk on a pair of sheep, but that story is for another day.

67C96797-CB61-404C-B5B6-83C103A34600.JPG

We hunted land around Loch Awe. The property is forestry and the stalking rights are designed to take off as many animals as they can as they like to eat the tops of freshly planted trees and that stunts the trees growth later in life. The time from planting to culling is around 40 years. The whole operations appears to be a carbon credit 'thing', and from what I gathered, some form of tax dodge. Huge amount of land with forest so dense you wouldn't want to be caught in after dark.

IMG_2929.jpg

So the weather is amazing. It is pouring rain and 20+ mph winds and 20 minutes later, drizzle and 20 minutes later, dense fog, and 20 minutes later the sky open and there is a rainbow....then 20 minutes later pouring rain. The temps ranged from 40-55 degrees Fahrenheit. The terrain is rough and everything is wet 24/7. The animals are always moving. You need to have multiple layers of clothing from quality rain resilient to GoreTex. Boots need to be hunt/hike and 100% water proof. Knee gators are a must (ticks and water). Gloves and a good felt hat or water proof something.

IMG_2907.jpg

The hunting starts before daylight and they use thermal binoculars to get a general bearing on game before the stalk. Without the thermals, it would be almost impossible to hunt the lower areas. It would be shear luck if you jumped game along the tree lines or they happened to be there when the sun rose. The upper highlands are amazing and Red Deer stages can be seen on the downslopes holding up there hinds. They bugle similar to elk. All of my shots were taken off a traditional Scottish walking stick, off hand or using a tree or something for an improvised rest. Unlike the US, they want you to put bullets in the animals and let the dogs sort it out. I am use to looking for the perfect shot and not shooting at moving game. But, they wanted to cull and the dogs wanted the action. We lost no game. Shots ranged from 40m to 380+ meters. Most of the animals were moving.

IMG_5381.jpg

I did not bring a rifle and used a Blaser R8 300 Win Mag w/Zeiss glass and a Sauer 202 .308 w/Zeiss glass. Both rifles were more than enough. One of the hunters used a Sauer 6.5x55. I personally don't like the R8's safety, but all the rifles preformed flawlessly.

Would I go again, yes. In fact it isn't a would but when. I want to do the same hunt, but also go for muntjac and fallow. There is great brown trout fishing on Loch Awe and I also want to catch on for the photo album.

When the hunt ended my friends gave me a walking stick, with a 10 pence coin from my birth year in the handle. They said I had earned it and that they appreciated my shooting. They called me the lucky bloke from Texas (there is a sika story in that one). It is probably the best trophy from a hunt I have ever brought home.

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank You for sharing! My wife just returned from a trip to Scotland last month. We are in the process of planning another trip next year to include some hunting so I appreciate this. Great pics also

The ruined castle (Kilchurn) on Loch Awe is pretty and worth a visit. It housed a garrison of redcoats after the 1745 rebellion. My godfather, as a boy (which must have been about 1920), went and described a witch living in the ruins.

There is also St. Conan's Kirk (church) on the loch side.

The proper Gaelic word for the 'walking stick' is a 'cromach', with a soft 'ch'. In my experience, the Scots usually do not like giving them away, so you must have made a good impression!

The ruined castle (Kilchurn) on Loch Awe is pretty and worth a visit. It housed a garrison of redcoats after the 1745 rebellion. My godfather, as a boy (which must have been about 1920), went and described a witch living in the ruins.

There is also St. Conan's Kirk (church) on the loch side.

The proper Gaelic word for the 'walking stick' is a 'cromach', with a soft 'ch'. In my experience, the Scots usually do not like giving them away, so you must have made a good impression!

Thank you. I was able to see the church and castle but did not have the time to go and see it up close. There was so much history and so many things to see that it would have needed a second trip just for the sights.

Thanks for sharing your trip report and great photos. Fascinating trip I had never considered. Congratulations! I enjoyed your report and hope to read more of your trip.

Thank you for sharing. This brings back fond memories of culling in the highlands!

Congrats on your hunt, seems like you really enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. It is such an incredible area.

The "tax dodge" is causing huge issues for the country folk as the large corps buy up estates to plant trees to get their carbon credits. The corps. then ban stalking (hunting) on the properties.

The Scottish government policy of "Re-wilding" apparently has a central theme to eliminate the deer in favor of trees. Huge political issue for the country folk. I can only imagine.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. It is such an incredible area.

The "tax dodge" is causing huge issues for the country folk as the large corps buy up estates to plant trees to get their carbon credits. The corps. then ban stalking (hunting) on the properties.

The Scottish government policy of "Re-wilding" apparently has a central theme to eliminate the deer in favor of trees. Huge political issue for the country folk. I can only imagine.

This owner appears to want to manage both land and animals. They have a limit of animals they attempt to take a year. The stalkers said it's almost impossible to estimate the true population. The current issue is COVID shut down any real management for a few years.

I can see what you're saying and were it would be heading though. Hopefully it remains open. One of the best hunting experiences in my life.

Sounds like you were on a property that has conservation in mind then. The other guys, not so much. I have a grave concern for the deer in Scotland if the brain trust continues down this path. The disconnect between the folks in cities and the countryside appears to be getting wider. Scary.

Sounds like you were on a property that has conservation in mind then. The other guys, not so much. I have a grave concern for the deer in Scotland if the brain trust continues down this path. The disconnect between the folks in cities and the countryside appears to be getting wider. Scary.
Sadly I feel that this is everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineFu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.