Unicorn gun!

Great looking rifle! Is there little more drop on the comb on pre 64 models or its same as newest models?

Great Find and a beautiful rifle as well! Hope you enjoy many great hunts with it!

My Pre-64 Model 70 in 300 H&H is one of my most prized firearms. Given to me by my wife for my birthday and blooded on PG in South Africa, it absolutely loves Nosler AB’s. Using factory ammo, it’ll do anything a 300WM will do, and do it with much more class and style, with less recoil and pressure.
8CC23D82-54C9-4161-9B32-A38E1F37D36F.jpeg

My wife and I also recently acquired a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 H&H. We were both born in 1951 and had been looking for a '51 for a couple years.....in price and condition we could live with. My wife was/is really excited about the purchase, which really adds to the total enjoyment. Like everyone else who is new to this cartridge, we are now looking for some Norma brass.

Our rifle was fitted with a externally adjusted B&L scope from the '60's. Small crosshairs difficult to see. I have a Weaver scope I could install, but prefer to go with newer optics. What scope(s) in the fixed 4 to
variable 12 are long enough not to require bases that extend over the cartridge platform/bolt opening area?

My wife and I also recently acquired a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 H&H. We were both born in 1951 and had been looking for a '51 for a couple years.....in price and condition we could live with. My wife was/is really excited about the purchase, which really adds to the total enjoyment. Like everyone else who is new to this cartridge, we are now looking for some Norma brass.

Our rifle was fitted with a externally adjusted B&L scope from the '60's. Small crosshairs difficult to see. I have a Weaver scope I could install, but prefer to go with newer optics. What scope(s) in the fixed 4 to
variable 12 are long enough not to require bases that extend over the cartridge platform/bolt opening area?
Bushnell might still have something in their range. Otherwise, email OpticTrade or Cameraland.

These are fine old rifles, I was going to buy one a while back as I want a Pre 64 Win but it had been rechambered to 300 Weatherby just seemed so wrong & now last week found a Browning Hi Power Mauser & it to has been rechambered to 300 Weatherby from 300 H&H, must be a serial rechamber guy here, if I can get it cheap enough I might make it a .458Win .

These are fine old rifles, I was going to buy one a while back as I want a Pre 64 Win but it had been rechambered to 300 Weatherby just seemed so wrong & now last week found a Browning Hi Power Mauser & it to has been rechambered to 300 Weatherby from 300 H&H, must be a serial rechamber guy here, if I can get it cheap enough I might make it a .458Win .
@Sarge
Maaate you bought ruined rifle.
The person that did such damage should be taken out and horse whipped. The original 300 H&H was the quintessential cartridge now ruined by a rechamber. The old girl can be loaded to almost equal the weatherby and feeds like a newborn baby. I w ould have preferred it in the old H&H.
Bob

@Sarge
Maaate you bought ruined rifle.
The person that did such damage should be taken out and horse whipped. The original 300 H&H was the quintessential cartridge now ruined by a rechamber. The old girl can be loaded to almost equal the weatherby and feeds like a newborn baby. I w ould have preferred it in the old H&H.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen He should be forced to walk around wearing a shirt saying I love the .300 Weatherby and the .243 Winchester! :) :A Stirring: :D Beers:

Hey Hey ease up, I didn't do any rechambering & I didn't buy the Pre 64 (kind of wish I had) & the Browning is only on the radar right now !

Nothing wrong with the 300 Weatherby either it is a fantastic caliber, only two Weatherby's I think are Ok the .300 & the 270 Weatherby & I don't like .270 but they must have got some thing right in those two as they kill very well & at all ranges, on our game in NZ any Hunter that came armed with the .270 Weatherby killed his animals like the hand of God & that is rare with any client hunter !

Not what I want how ever & I had a .300 Win Mag, great cartridge to but I went back to the great 30/06 as after using the .300Win for a bit (I shot a lot with it Moose Sheep Bears Etc) thought it did nothing better than the 06 !

Now the .243 Win is some thing else ?

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen He should be forced to walk around wearing a shirt saying I love the .300 Weatherby and the .243 Winchester! :) :A Stirring: :D Beers:
@ZG47.
No I wouldn't gine him a t shirt I would just condemn him to using a 243 for the rest of his life and a big banner on his hunting vehicle saying I ruined a perfectly good 300 H&H.
Bob

Hey Hey ease up, I didn't do any rechambering & I didn't buy the Pre 64 (kind of wish I had) & the Browning is only on the radar right now !

Nothing wrong with the 300 Weatherby either it is a fantastic caliber, only two Weatherby's I think are Ok the .300 & the 270 Weatherby & I don't like .270 but they must have got some thing right in those two as they kill very well & at all ranges, on our game in NZ any Hunter that came armed with the .270 Weatherby killed his animals like the hand of God & that is rare with any client hunter !

Not what I want how ever & I had a .300 Win Mag, great cartridge to but I went back to the great 30/06 as after using the .300Win for a bit (I shot a lot with it Moose Sheep Bears Etc) thought it did nothing better than the 06 !

Now the .243 Win is some thing else ?
@Sarg
Definitely not blaming you mate, a kiwi may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but they would never ruin a perfectly good rifle.
Forget the 270 bee as the 257 was uncle Roy's favorite cartridge.
Bob.

Vintage gun scopes.com can replace those crosshairs or just restore old/non functioning scopes to something better than new-could check them out for fun if it was important to those of you with period correct scopes-

You can't go wrong with a .300 H&H for African plains game. As pointed out above, a four round magazine, with one up the spout, gives you all the fire power you need. This is the largest animal I took with mine. It's a Grevy's zebra, the largest of all wild equines.

pix029_zpsaa42e058.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome find, I've got a Pre-64 M70 in both 300 and 375 H&H. I need to replace the stock on the 300. I'd planned to take it to RSA this summer but the LOP is WAY too short and a few other things going on with it.

Awesome find, I've got a Pre-64 M70 in both 300 and 375 H&H. I need to replace the stock on the 300. I'd planned to take it to RSA this summer but the LOP is WAY too short and a few other things going on with it.
I bought a pre-War .375 H&H Model 70 last year, but when I received it, the stock was snapped in two at the pistol grip, beyond repair. Miraclously, I was able to find a pre-War .300 H&H stock on eBay and then it was just a question of having the barrel channel opened up and a Silvers pad fitted. Insurance paid for it.

You can't go wrong with a .300 H&H for African plains game. As pointed out above, a four round magazine, with one up the spout, gives you all the fire power you need. This is the largest animal I took with mine. It's a Grevy's zebra, the largest of all wild equines.

View attachment 403519

That is a beautiful animal!

Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross