Ultimate Barrel Set

Vote for the Calibers that make the most sense together with my .300WinMag, maximum 4 calibres!

• .223 Rem

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • .243 Win

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • .270 Win

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • .308 Win

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 30-06

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • .338 Win

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • .375 H&H

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • .404 Jeffrey

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • .416 Mag

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • .458 Lott

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters
I agree with IvW on the 458 Lott recoil. If a second shot is needed, the 375 can do it much quicker due to the lower recoil recovery. I got to try this out in Africa. I can easily get two accurate shots down range before I recovered from the first with the Lott.

I’m sure a bigger stronger guy could have done better, but I think I can handle my 375 even using 350 grain bullets quicker than a 416 Rigby I have also tried.

I highly suggest you “try before you buy”. If possible.

Thanks @Ridgewalker & @IvW for your input and opinion on the .458 Lott being a bit much recoil. I'm a virgin Africa hunter. Supposed to go for the first time this June on plainsgame.

It is only because I am a bit obligated to order all my future barrels now (before they are no longer available at all) that I would even contemplate getting a .458Lott. But perhaps I can leave this out for now, and have a .4 caliber to look forward to for in a double perhaps.

Supposed to go for the first time this June on plainsgame.
Sir you are going to have a grand adventure! It certainly won’t be your only Africa trip!

Sir you are going to have a grand adventure! It certainly won’t be your only Africa trip!
I know :) the last few months have been non-stop me watching videos of safaris, learning, reading, etc. and now also inquiring about the AH group hunt for 2022. I haven't even left yet! :E Dancing:

Just a little update:

I have sent the list of barrels and other accessories over to Mauser just now. I have finally decided not to take the .458 Lott. If I ever have the need to go bigger than .375H&H, I'll turn again to AH to help me to decide on a dedicated rifle for this :)

Full list:
1. One barrel in .375H&H, standard profile, with open sights, 25", not threaded (I believe I do not need an additional bolt head, as the bolt head of my .300WinMag is the correct one already?)
2. One barrel in .223 Rem, standard profile, with open sights, 18,5", threaded with thread cover + the mini Bolt Head Right Hand
4. One M03 magazine Type A (basic) for the .223 caliber
5. One M03 magazine Type E (basic or deluxe if you have them at a reasonable price) as a backup for the .300WM/.375H&H magazine I already have.
6. One Torx barrel key (to change the barrels)
7. Steel pistol grip cap (if it can be installed by my local gunshop still as an upgrade) needs blank space for me to have it engraved
8. Engraved bolt handle knob in order to have more grip (if I can have this installed by my local gunshopstill as an upgrade)
9. Mag Lock, if it can be retrofitted by my local gunshop
10. One Mauser M03 extreme Swarovski rail mount (Double Square Mount I believe it is called) for the .375H&H with a 1-8 variable scope
11. One Mauser M03 extreme Picatinny rail mount (Double Square Mount I believe it is called) for a red dot.
12. One reserve bolthead right hand for the .300WM/.375H&H

thanks a lot for all your help! It was much appreciated. I just hope I will not be regretful of not having taken the .458 Lott when I had the chance.

V.

I only use 2 rifles for everything. I have a Remington 300wm and a Heym .500ne.
These 2 do it all for me , no matter where I go !

Sounds like a very universal setup!

So Mauser came through, they can source most of the gear, including the two barrels. Still no word on pricing, as "this will be discussed with my local dealer"...
Anyone venture a guess what impact this might have on my bank account?

If cost is prohibitive, I might need to consider that damned R8 ...

So Mauser came through, they can source most of the gear, including the two barrels. Still no word on pricing, as "this will be discussed with my local dealer"...

Your bank account is going to sustain a major wallop.

I like the R8 route personally. You have better cartridge options to really stretch that magnum bolthead. Unfortunately the limiting factor at this time are the reports of the aftermarket barrel makers having fulfilment issues. Also the scopes stay locked to the barrels for a solid no worry zero.

I'm just a guy who has a Ruger No.1 in .458 Lott. It can be downloaded to suit your purposes and it's cheaper than the .375 to plink with. Fear not the Lott.

I like the R8 route personally. You have better cartridge options to really stretch that magnum bolthead. Unfortunately the limiting factor at this time are the reports of the aftermarket barrel makers having fulfilment issues. Also the scopes stay locked to the barrels for a solid no worry zero.

I'm just a guy who has a Ruger No.1 in .458 Lott. It can be downloaded to suit your purposes and it's cheaper than the .375 to plink with. Fear not the Lott.
Forrest,
You could be THAT guy with a barrel change system for your Ruger #1. Get a 26" 6.5 Crudmoor barrel and reach out and touch something! Besides, it would be cheaper to shoot than any of the above and you can find factory ammo for it EVERYWHERE! That's one of the few cartridges, along with the 6.8 and 7.5-54 that every store has in stock.
CEH

So... finally getting some pricing through:
- .375H&H barrel, standard profile, 25.6inch (instead of the 24 I asked) with open sights, no threads
- .223REM barrel, standard profile, 23.3inch (instead of the 18.5 I asked) with open sights, no threads (though I wanted threads)
- Magazine type A (for 223)
- Magazine type E (for 375)
- Mauser torx wrench
- mag safe lock
- Swarovski QD rail mount
- Picatinny QD rail mount
- Bolthead 375
- Bolthead 223

plus the importation from Germany into Belgium, passing by the "Banque d'Epreuves"

For 4500EUR...

I'm hesitating a bit now...

I would forget the .223 barrel.

Have your M03 with the .375 and .300, same bolt head and magazines so you are saving money and have a good set up for Africa.

Then you can buy an M12 in .223 and get the joy of a new rifle and it will still be cheaper!

Looks like I'll be following @Adrian 's advice and dropping the .223 barrel set. The whole idea of that one was as a practice caliber that I could also suppress at some point in the future and use as a handy varmint rifle. But with a 23.3 inch barrel as is, adding a suppressor would make it overly long (and heavy too).

So now I asked them to make me price for:
- .375H&H barrel, standard profile, 24.4inch (they found a shorter one!) with open sights, no threads
- Magazine type E (for 375)
- Mauser torx wrench
- mag safe lock
- Swarovski QD rail mount
- Bolthead 375

And asked him to throw in a few extra extractors for good messure :)

Now need to start looking for a good M12, (but sadly does not exist in .223)

ah yes, funny add-on that the German Mauser sales rep told me: the M03 and parts are so much in demand right now, that for a good condition one, you can easily get 30-50% more than what you paid for it a few years ago. "Like a Rolex" he said.

Last edited:
ah yes, funny add-on that the German Mauser sales rep told me: the M03 and parts are so much in demand right now, that for a good condition one, you can easily get 30-50% more than what you paid for it a few years ago. "Like a Rolex" he said.
Buy low, sell high. Right?

Why not capitalize on the demand of the M03 and sell what you have for a profit? That would take the price sting out of the Blaser R8 and give you a rifle that is better supported by the factory. Just a thought.

For those still interested, here is a small update:

- The .375H&H barrel, with extra magazine, optic mount, extra bolthead is ordered from Mauser

And just today, through sheer luck in a gun store I was passing by, I managed to lay my hands on a .223 REM barrel, with extra magazine, extra bolt head, extra bolt, a qd zeiss mount, a qd doctor mount and a nice elephant pistol grip cap :)

Once I have received all items from Mauser, I'll lay it all out and take a few pictures. Only things I still need to purchase is 1 scope for the .223 (open to suggestions, but something cheaper), 1 scope for the .375H&H (swaro Z6i 1-6x24) and a doctor profile red dot of some sorts. Plus a case suited for 2 barrels, 2 scopes+mounts and some extra gear for the traveling part.

I think with this set-up I should be quite happy for many many years to come.

Thanks for all AH members who have provided me with their experience and knowledge free of charge ;)

For those still interested, here is a small update:

- The .375H&H barrel, with extra magazine, optic mount, extra bolthead is ordered from Mauser

And just today, through sheer luck in a gun store I was passing by, I managed to lay my hands on a .223 REM barrel, with extra magazine, extra bolt head, extra bolt, a qd zeiss mount, a qd doctor mount and a nice elephant pistol grip cap :)

Once I have received all items from Mauser, I'll lay it all out and take a few pictures. Only things I still need to purchase is 1 scope for the .223 (open to suggestions, but something cheaper), 1 scope for the .375H&H (swaro Z6i 1-6x24) and a doctor profile red dot of some sorts. Plus a case suited for 2 barrels, 2 scopes+mounts and some extra gear for the traveling part.

I think with this set-up I should be quite happy for many many years to come.

Thanks for all AH members who have provided me with their experience and knowledge free of charge ;)
Congratulations.

For the gun case part of it I highly recommend the Pelican Protector 1700. Blaser has been using these for years, but are currently out of production. But no worries as there is a less expensive option. Buy the Pelican 1700, order military grade foam (the stuff from Pelican is too soft) and make your own case with a marker an sharp knife. @One Day... did this and was able to fit a Blaser with 2 barrels and his 470NE DR all in one case, although he did have to move the optics to his carry-on. But if you eliminate the double rifle, there should be plenty of room for the optics you want.

This is @One Day... set up.
1620466266445.png

This is what the typical Blaser set up looks like.
1620466512430.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg