Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

Yes those will reach the vitals of DG from any angle at 340 wby velocities . But can you place the right shot in a dangerous situation with out loosing the cool. Again it is not killing the beast but not getting killed before it like Tylor said.

Yes those will reach the vitals of DG from any angle at 340 wby velocities . But can you place the right shot in a dangerous situation with out loosing the cool. Again it is not killing the beast but not getting killed before it like Tylor said.
He mostly used a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 chambered in .458 Winchester magnum , loaded with FRESH Winchester Super X 500 grain solid metal covered cartridges for hunting African elephants. and Cape Buffaloes , Krish.

He did use his custom made .338 Winchester magnum calibre Fabrique Nationale Mauser 98 action bolt rifle to shoot several African elephants and Cape Buffaloes , as well . However , these were all picked shots .He never used this rifle for guiding clients on dangerous game safaris .

Its a great calibre, but difficult to come by here . SAKO's 9.3 x 66 is also good, but SAKO's are pricey, and the trade off between additional recoil and a fairly minor gain in V0 does not seem to be justified. Hence my choice of the 9.3x62 - in CZ550, which is a great workhorse rifle and well priced.
Daga Boy
Using the newer powders you can give the 9.3 a bit of a,boost as well
Bob

If you keep it up Bruce, I’m gonna have to get one.
now there is a man of good taste and great forethought.
now it is just a matter of convincing bob.
on a more serious note.
if you find accessing rws 9.3x64 brass, consider 338 win mag necked up to 9.3mm.
going this route allows the use of any 7mm mag, 300 mag, 338 mag action and boltface with just a new barrel.
they are all 30/06 length actions.
get a barrel 0.650" at the muzzle to give sufficient weight to handle the recoil.
0.600" works for carrying, but not as well for shooting, and the gun could be a little muzzle light for pointing.
give the chamber 1/2 degree leade as opposed to 1 1/2 degrees common today.
this does make a difference to pressures and loads.
for dies, when pacific tool and gauge make your chamber reamer, have them make a matching min fls die reamer as well.
chamber the sizing die reamer with the appropriate reamer first, and then use it as a rougher for the barrel chamber, prior to using the finish chamber reamer.
then use the chamber reamer to chamber the seating die.
it would not be a surprise to learn that ptg already has drawings for such a reamer, but if not altering a 338 reamer would be a breeze.
bullets are easy to access, and h4350 is a good powder to start with, particularly with heavier bullets.
swift bullets will be your friend at these speeds.
bruce.

on a more serious note.
if you find accessing rws 9.3x64 brass, consider 338 win mag necked up to 9.3mm.
going this route allows the use of any 7mm mag, 300 mag, 338 mag action and boltface with just a new barrel.
get a barrel 0.650" at the muzzle to give sufficient weight to handle the recoil.
0.600" works for carrying, but not as well for shooting, and the gun could be a little muzzle light for pointing.
for dies, when pacific tool and gauge make your chamber reamer, have them make a matching min fls die reamer as well.
chamber the sizing die reamer with the appropriate reamer first, and then use it as a rougher for the barrel chamber, prior to using the finish chamber reamer.
it would not be a surprise to learn that ptg already has drawings for such a reamer, but if not altering a 338 reamer would be a breeze.
bullets are easy to access, and h4350 is a good powder to start with, particularly with heavier bullets.
bruce.
Bruce
What do I need to be convinced of mate.
When I was getting my Whelen done it was a toss up between the 9.3x62 and the Whelen. I know a couple of people that have the 9.3 and the C ant speak highly enough about it.
I thought the Whelen deserved a go as I knew it wasn't loaded to its potential. I just wanted to see what it could really do. After playing with it I found it would do everything the 338 would without the bucking and bellowing of the magnum and fell in love with it.
It was the same story with my 25/303 That even this old forgotten could out do the 243 with new powders and my vastly improved version was even more pig a good thing.
I suppose I just like old school.
Cheers Bruce
Bub

on a more serious note.
bruce.
Very interesting Bruce. I’m sure I could source brass from Huntington’s. I would just have to order large quantities so when they go out of stock for a while I would be good. I’m going to keep my out for an action. I hope to run across a M70 classic for cheap someday. If it’s a mag it would easier to 338-9.3 for sure.
It all might be silly as I own a 375 H&H but it sure is fun.

You are right
I got it the wrong way around
230 grain 3563
285 grain 3544 and same for 286

Winchester 338
250 grain 3814
And 275 grain 3784

My apologies

Very interesting Bruce. I’m sure I could source brass from Huntington’s. I would just have to order large quantities so when they go out of stock for a while I would be good. I’m going to keep my out for an action. I hope to run across a M70 classic for cheap someday. If it’s a mag it would easier to 338-9.3 for sure.
It all might be silly as I own a 375 H&H but it sure is fun.
Mister Smith
If you want to go to that trouble why most a 325WSM necked up to 9.3.
It was done by John Barsness and Charlie Sisk very effective it was called the 9.3BS believe it or not.
Bob

bob,
I am not sure the B.S. is as powerful as the x64?
could be wrong.
bruce.
Bruce
I owe you an apology mate the 9.3 BS was actually built on the 350 Remington mage case not the WSM.
There is an article on AH called suggestions for a 9.3 wildcat that should provide good reading.
Just Google it mate
Bob

BS might equal the x62 in a 308 length action.
this is however a potential trap with heavy bullets, as short fat cases lose capacity with heavy bullets.
this is also what makes the 280 rem better than the 284, unless the 284 is in a 30/06 length action, which defeats the purpose anyway.
bruce.

One more view of the 338 AGS SOLID BULLETS. View attachment 346659
.338WM tends to be a bit underrated as its not legal on DG in all African countries. Penetration with strong bullets is outstanding. Many, many buffalo and elephant have fallen to it. The "go to" for thick skinned game seems to be a 225gr monometal. For elephant you would ideally want a brass solid, but for all other applications an expanding monometal works perfectly.

I have spent the last 40 plus years on that question, and my choice depends on my mood, the day, the year, and the Red Gods of Gundome!!
Ive hunted with both over the years and I suppose the .338 Win in the more open country and the 9.3x62 in the bushveld or Texas thorne bush..I guess and both will work in both places...If I ever answer this one it will be for no particular reason, just a fluke..Now we have the beltless 375, the Ruger 375, beltless to solve that old problem if there ever was one...I like the 375 Ruger, its a Hawkeye in my case, wood and blue, 7.5 lbs and 8.5 with a scope...Maybe the best of both worlds, but who knows, you can't go wrong with any of the three, the .338, 9.3x62 or the 375 Ruger, and we still have the 9.3x64 is all else fails to suit your fancy!

Here in British Columbia the .338 Win Mag is immensely popular, and the 9.3x62 is slowly picking up traction. Of the two, both will kill anything you point it at though the .338 Mag is significantly more versatile. It is ballistically superior in nearly every aspect from velocity, to trajectory, and sectional density. This said, in 99% of hunting, that being inside 200 yards, they both will handle anything you can hunt.

I have a 338-06, 338 Win mag, 9.3x62, and a 375 H&H.....two are going to be sold. The Win mag is a Ruger No. 1, given to me by my late Father....it stays. Now what? LOL

LR

I have both and Ive used both on about everything including Cape Buffalo...You have to handload the 9.3x62 to the limit to meet legality, but permission can be had sometimes.

In all the many years Ive never been able to make the decision between the two and never will...I do know the .338 shoots flatter and I prefer in open country and I like the 9.3x62 best in the timber or bush, its a short range caliber IMO. To argue over which is best is folly as they are both excellent in there own relm…

IF push came to shove Id opt for the 338 probably in that its just a bit more of an all around caliber, but in my case it will never come to that...better PG caliber, better elk and for the lower 48.

For buffalo, Hippo, I prefer the 9.3x62 with a 300 gr. Swift combined with a flat nose solid and my favorite load was the cup point bullet that no longer exists, they worked so well that's all I used for quite some time..

Keep in mind that the 9.3x64 and the 375 Ruger or H&H is argueably better than either on both sides of big water.. Bottom line is its all opinion and everyone has one of those. Glad that we have personal choice, so use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg