Uganda 9,3x74R

Charlie64

AH enthusiast
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Messages
354
Reaction score
1,084
Location
Europe & South Africa
Media
30
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Europe
4
Member of
LJV NRW Germany
Hunted
England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales, Austria, Czech, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Sweden, Botswana, Mauritania, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Krygyzstan, Turkey, New Zealand & USA
.

Anyone know with certainty whether a 9,3x74R is legal in Uganda for buff ?

Internet says yes (2021) whereas other sites say .375 is the min.

Looking at 293 grains, V0 2.280 fps & E0 4.589 J.

Appreciate any input. Thanks

Ps. Leaving aside the whole debate about the best caliber for buff.....

.
 
9.3x74R, 293gr - is it a RWS TUG (UNI Classic) bullet?
 
As much as I hate to say it, almost anything is legal in Uganda as long as you don't wound and lose game! Even the game rangers are pretty much "game on" for anything resonable.
 
9.3x74R, 293gr - is it a RWS TUG (UNI Classic) bullet?
.

Yes Sir, looking at the RWS Uni Classic in 293 gr, very similar to the Brenneke TUG. The other option would be 285 gr Norma oryx.

Need to get in some range time & see how we fair .....

.
 
.

Yes Sir, looking at the RWS Uni Classic in 293 gr, very similar to the Brenneke TUG. The other option would be 285 gr Norma oryx.

Need to get in some range time & see how we fair .....

.
Last week I have used a RWS UNI (9.3x64) at 25yr on a black bear. It could be the distance you could expect to shoot a buffalo. From the terminal ballistics performance I would say that it is too soft for buffalo. If you could choose the Norma Oryx (which I believe it is a bonded bullet) go with it and still avoid breaking shoulder bones.
Keep the UNI for the soft skin game/ antelopes, etc. It was designed for this type of game and it’s terrific.
 
I'd also suggest the Norma Oryx for hunting buffalo with this cartridge.
RWS Uni is a fine bullet, a very good choice for somewhat smaller game, but is designed to fragment.
I've never had a Norma Oryx fail. They consistently expand, penetrate nice and deep, and hold together.
If the RWS EVO 18.8G bonded core bullet is available to you, I'd say it's even better than the Oryx for really big game. Deeper penetration with a somewhat narrower mushroom.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,376
Messages
1,574,502
Members
170,051
Latest member
1winbizpk
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top