Turkeys shells

I like a tight pattern but I like it even as well. I want my pattern to have some forgiveness At 25 yards or so but yet be able to reach out there to 65 ish. I find many of my shots are 40-50 yards but I hunt a good many of fields. I used to have a woods turkey gun and a field turkey gun for longer range and that worked out well. Finally figured out I just needed a specific pattern that can be good up close and long distance. Tss is bad medicine for a longbeard.
Might need to use a regular full choke (or even a modified) to get a decent spread at 25.

3 1/2" 12 gauge, kicks as much as a elephant rifle.
I don't like them either.

Tungsten, however, is devastating!

I'm thinking about hunting turkey this year with #4 or #2 tungsten (which is legal for turkey where I live). I will also be able to shoot completely through a wild boar at 50 yards, if one shows up.

I do a lot of turkey hunting in multiple states every season and as has been stated, the TSS loads are a game changer. I would also say that a red dot optic makes a big difference when hunting in thick cover, low light, etc. It's really easy to miss shots. When you travel for a weekend hunt in another part of the country and might only get 1 chance, you stack the odds in your favor. Where legal, go with TSS #9's and everywhere else, go with TSS 7 1/2's. From 10 gauge to .410, it's been lights out for my birds. 28 in a row with one shot each....well actually only 26 shells as I got 2 doubles intentionally with 1 shot each. None were wounded and they all went straight down. Patterns are devastating with TSS and a good choke.

The one thing I see a lot of is guys using Roman candle 3.5" 12 gauge loads. They are way too rowdy and actually don't pattern all that well. I also see a lot of guys lift their heads off the stock when they shoot and go right over the top of the bird. That usually creates a miss. Follow through on the shot and you'll kill more birds for sure. Also, NO body shots! Head/neck shots only or you will wound birds.

I remember the lead days where I would find pellets in the breast meat. Now tss just goes through the bird mostly.
When I switched from lead to Remington premier hevi shot 20 years ago it was a night/day difference. Then I went to Winchester extended and got amazing patterns and the kills got longer. Now with tss it’s just insane the number of pellets and penetration for small shot sizes.

The TSS & Boss shells are hard to beat. Aim, boom & dead…. Out to 60

I started with Apex TSS in 10 gauge and went to any TSS and now I’m with Boss in any gauge or even 410. All of it works well if you know your pattern.

3 1/2" 12 gauge, kicks as much as a elephant rifle.
I don't like them either.

Tungsten, however, is devastating!

I'm thinking about hunting turkey this year with #4 or #2 tungsten (which is legal for turkey where I live). I will also be able to shoot completely through a wild boar at 50 yards, if one shows up.
I'm thinking that #4 or #2 in TSS for Turkey is going to be a bit much. This is my pattern with #7 shot...
1647371961492.png

I'm figuring it's good to 60+ yards. I have to verify all my patterns again because I upgraded to the SBE3. When I do it, I'll be checking loads out to 70 and even further if I have good hits at 70. I don't believe I'd take a shot at that distance, but it would be nice to have the data.

Hey, that's a good working pattern. The main point of patterning is gaining the confidence in seeing what is REALLY happening. Sometimes there are holes in the patterns and sometimes the pattern just works well. When that bird hangs up at 50+, you need to know if you can take the shot.

This is my pattern at 50 yards using Pendleton Ammunition 12 Gauge 3 inch TSS 9 shot. I have taken over 20 toms with this load in the last several years.

9 Shot (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly! You should see the 10 gauge patterns with 620 #9 TSS pellets. Outrageous. Why fight fair? Take their heads!

I'm just getting into the TSS game with a few loads from Federal. Up until now I've been using Winchester Long Beard #4's but the results with the TSS can not be denied.

Also have some Federal Black Cloud TSS #3&9 combo for Duck and Goose that I'll be taking a look at.

Winchester Longbeard #4 brought down my Gould's at 65 - 70 yards in Durango Mexico.
Similar experience in northern Florida with an Oceola, 65-70 yards. I'm impressed with the Winchester Longbeard. Hunting turkey in California presents other issues, lead is prohibited.

Winchester Longbeard #4 brought down my Gould's at 65 - 70 yards in Durango Mexico.
Similar experience in northern Florida with an Oceola, 65-70 yards. I'm impressed with the Winchester Longbeard. Hunting turkey in California presents other issues, lead is prohibited.
I'd like to see a pattern sheet if you have one.

After having shot the exact same load and patterned it out to 40 and 50 yards, it was my determination that 50 yards was too far for a reliable shot at game.

I'm not doubting your claims, I'd just like to know what shotgun, barrel length and choke combination can account for a 50% increase in your distance over what I was shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross