Trump likes "Nambia"

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by 375 Ruger Fan, Sep 21, 2017.

1. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    President Trump's 'Nambia' remarks at U.N. prompt Twitter scorn

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/09/21/president-trump-nambia/688012001/

President Trump referred to a nonexistent country at a luncheon with African leaders during the U.N. General Assembly on Wednesday — and Twitter wasn’t having it.

Trump spoke of “Nambia” in his opening remarks, before saying “Nambia’s health system is increasingly self-sufficient” during the event, at the Palace Hotel in New York.

"Nambia" doesn't exist — the name appeared to be a merger of Namibia in southwestern Africa and Zambia, located to the northeast of Namibia. Gambia, in west Africa, was also a contender.

A White House transcript later clarified that Trump had in fact been referring to Namibia.

2. Big5

Big5 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
    Yes, a mispronunciation to be sure, but at least he knows there are only 50 states here at home rather than the 57 Obama said he'd visited.

3. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA
    Only reason the last president didn't mess up pronunciation of African countries is because he was from Kenya!

4. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I can't say too much I mispronounced it for quite some time. Then when I actually met people who hunted in Africa, I quickly learned the error in my ways.

Velo Dog likes this.

5. Wheels

Wheels AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    "Southwest Africa" was so much easier:) The old days.......

rinehart0050, ve7poi, CAustin and 2 others like this.

6. CAustin

CAustin BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    BETTER DAYS no doub my friend!

7. Foxi

Foxi AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa-,Gwayi- + Save River.Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    Whether Trump knows that much of the road construction work is done by North Koreans and the Independence Museum in Windhoek was built by a North Korean company without a single local worker, despite high unemployment in Namibia.............................................

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

8. BenH2016

BenH2016 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Zambia
    I know a fair few people right here in Zambia who can't say Namibia. A good PH friend of mine calls it Nanibia all the time, and he lives right by the border and goes there frequently.

This Trump fellow gets a lot of bad press, I don't follow US politics so dont have an informed opinion to share, but he's clearly done something right to get where he is.

larry4831, Sand Rat and rinehart0050 like this.