Truck - what do you drive, and why?

No shortage of opinions over the whole spectrum. I am long term Ford truck buyer. My current is a 2016 F250 Diesel Super Duty. It has 79K miles and is just getting broken in. It is paid off and it will be an interesting contest to determine which of us outlives the other.
The diesel fords are a good bet especially the older 7.3ltr power strokes, my dad had one with 450k mi and 75% of those miles were pulling a loaded tool trailer and he sold it to an employee.

That truck is still going with 550k + miles.

However before buying a diesel consider the cost of ownership with DEF fluid and the added expense of the oil changes that require fuel filters also.

If it’s going to be a daily driver we ran the numbers with the excavation superintendents and the operating costs were 30% higher on the diesels.

If you pull lots of loaded trailers then the diesel may be the best bet; but if it’s a daily driver and hunting truck….. probably not.

Especially the 6.0ltr power strokes - they were nightmares to keep on the road.

Every truck I've had has been a Ram. Have a 2020 bighorn midnight edition currently. Love it. MOPAR or no car baby!

Cheers

WHITE TRUCKS FORDS and white grizzly I CURRENTLY HAVE 4 FORDS ALL OLDER, F350 2007 HD RIDES LIKE A WAGON AND GETS 10 MPG, V-10 .. 2000 F250 7.3 DIESEL 280,000 M WORN OUT NEEDS INJECTORS, SO PARTING IT OUT OR SELLING AS IS ,OTHER F-250 IS FLATBED WORK TRUCK AND I 250 NEEDS TRANS, GRIZZLY BEAR JUST A BONUS

FORD 2.jpg
FORD 3.jpg
GRIZZ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm excluding diesels in this comment because they are a different category of truck in my opinion. I will also preface my 2 cents with, I have 10 years of experience in the auto repair industry. Across the board I would avoid any vehicle from 2020- 2022. Due to covid and supply chain/staffing issues manufactures were passing all kinds of defects and Im seeing a lot of issues. Im not going to rank the trucks because that would take to much time to explain the "why" for each one. My vote is a Toyota Tundra, yes it loves gas but its dependable, nothing is over engineered and I rarely see them in the shop for anything more than a oil change or regular maintenance. They tow great and they last a long time. if you traded every few years I would say get what ever you want because longevity does not matter. I personally drive a tacoma because I do not need a full size truck but if I did I would get a tundra. Happy Hunting!

Although he's a Ford man, I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Payton. From now on all posts should include a bonus picture of a bear. Perhaps Brickburn or another admin could amend the rules?

3143130_3x4.jpg

Not sure this post will help in your decision. I currently drive a 2023 Ram diesel. It's my 9th since the first in 1991. Never had any issues with any of them. Before getting the current truck, I had a 2018 Ram 3500 diesel and a 2019 Ram Powerwagon with the 6.4 Hemi, 8 speed transmission as my daily driver. We also currently have a 2020 Ram 3500 Hemi/8 speed. Never a problem with any of them and the Hemi's get surprisingly good mileage in my opinion. 17-19 highway at 70-75. You can get a bad one no matter the brand. My former boss had a 2020 Chevy with the 6.2 seize the engine at 35k miles. It had to sit in the dealer's lot for 7 months until they got a replacement engine. Got rid of the Chevy and he now drives a 6.7 Ford gas and is happy with it.

I guess the moral of the story is try them all, see which you like and which gives you the best deal financially.

Have pulled utvs, livestock, equipment, seed, with both newer F2/350s and GM 2/3500s. All diesels, all pretty solid, reliable and comfortable. Transmission in GM is a little better feeling but the ford 10 speed is not far behind. Edge to the ford interior imo. GM has better suspension with heavier loads without modification. Ford is soft and needs airbags to level no matter what…

'22 F350 Tremor Diesel. Why...because I am never "under-trucked" with it. Last year, from KC to Utah and back for an elk hunt, we averaged slightly over 19mpg. Torques to spare, comfortable. Haul whatever you want.

In todays world a 1/2 ton costs very close to what I paid for the 350 and gets the same or slightly worse mileage.

2005 chevy duramax and a 1997 f350 flatbed, both can pull my gooseneck trailers, both are paid off and leave me money left over for hunting trips.

I've enjoyed my past 2 Silverados immensely. And for some entertainment on why they're so great, see below.

Hmm, no votes for a Rivian electric truck? Does anyone one own one of those yet? Or any of the other electric trucks?

(Legit question and not mention to stir a pot of whatever negativity or politics. Real world reviews are of more value than the marketing hype.)

Currently, 2021 Ford F350 4WD Super Duty Limited, 6.7L Diesel. 4" lift with leveling kit and air-ride suspension system. 60 gallon fuel tank, 35" tires, after market heavy duty bumpers front and rear, WARN 12K winch, and Baja Designs lights front and rear.

This replaced my 2000 F250 Super Duty 7.3L Diesel. The 7.3L was chipped and was an absolute beast. It towed anything I ever hooked to it. My reason for replacing this truck was due to the turbo shearing bolts and rather than spend north of $60 or $70K on a re-engine at Banks, I opted to splurge on one with a few more modern conveniences and creature comforts.

The 6.7 is paired with a 10 speed transmission, engine brake, hill descent control, hill start assist, a huge list of creature comforts, and the optional block heater should I find myself in cold weather.

I routinely tow a 20' tilt bed trailer hauling my off-road race vehicle or one of my pieces of equipment, and I have to remind myself there's something back there.

I can go up and over the Sierras on my way to Utah and barely feel it downshift one the way up, or because of the eng brake and hill descent control - barely have the need to touch the brakes.

The 60 gal fuel tank goes a long way. I don't keep track of mileage other than to fill it when it needs it.

As for the reference to not starting due to excessive cold:
1. block heater
2. starting fluid
3. rag or mop on fire - yes, set fire to a rag or mop and put it in front of the air intake
4. if you're this far into it and it won't start - you're meant to stay where you are.

img_2217-jpeg.585799

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 128
I bought a used 2022 ram eco diesel limited. I have put 10k miles on it in less than 3/4 of a year. On the highway it gets 27-32MPG spending on the load of passengers/equipment. Around town it’s 23-27MPG. The air suspension is amazing but I understand it’s a liability. I tow lighter loads 2000-7000 pounds and get 17-19MPG. Thus far, I LOVE this truck. It’s no longer available but if I were buying new I would get the Chevy/GMC with the LZO diesel. They tow nicely but aren’t as rough as 2500-3500’s. My father’s 2006 5.9 Cummins with manual transmission doesn’t even know 5000 pounds is behind it, but drives like Bo and Luke Duke designed it.

Im in the market for a new(ish?) truck...

To be honest, I have zero knowledge of what is "good" or not so good these days..

I typically buy something 1-2 years old (let someone else take the depreciation) and then drive it until the wheels fall off of it...

I bought my last truck in 2013.. Someone else had bought it new in late 2012 (its a 2013 model) and then turned around and traded it in 4 months later with 6000 miles on it.. Its now at the "wheels fall off of it" stage (215K fairly hard use miles and starting to fall apart)..

My priorities are must be full size, must have 4WD, must be able to tow a reasonable load long distances (I own an 18' center console boat that gets towed up to 300 miles at a time.. a 10' trailer and mid sized UTV that gets towed all over the place, regularly.. a "typical" trip is about 150 miles each direction.. but it will also get pulled from N TX to N ID later this year).. and the truck must be durable (again, my intent is to drive it a minimum of 8, up to 12 years.. until its falling apart.. only then would I buy another truck)..

Fancy options are cool and all.. but honestly arent a huge motivator.. pretty much any base level package on a 2022-2024 truck is going to have tons of stuff that my 2013 doesnt have (I have a CD player in my current truck lol..).. So neat stuff like oversized screens, sunroofs, etc arent really a big deal to me.. thats just something else to pay for that sooner or later will break, that I likely wont use much in the first place..

As long as it will last a long time, stand up to a pretty regular beating, can get me onto and off of our snow covered property in Colorado and our gumbo mud covered deer lease in E TX, can haul up to about 4000lbs without struggling to pull said load over the rocky mountains, etc... the biggest purchase motivator will be price (I really hate the idea of spending $60K - $80K on a freaking pick up truck... but it appears thats about where the market is right now)..

Currently Im looking at the Toyota Tundra, Dodge Ram 1500, and Ford F150.. My current truck is a Chevy Silverado.. and I have to admit.. while it has taken a beating and kept on running, I have pretty much hated the truck since the day I drove it off the lot.. I just dont like the handling, and its really struggled when pulling loads..

I test drove a tundra last night.. will probably go test drive a dodge tonight..

Does anyone have any insight or preferences I should know about? Any particular truck out there I should consider that isnt on "the list"?

Im not a car/truck guy.. I just put a key in the ignition and go.. this really isnt an area of expertise for me in any way..
In my line of work, I buy a fair amount of trucks. For what you are describing I would look to the Ram 3/4 ton Tradesman. I have had them in 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi engines. Good experience with both, but don’t expect good mileage.

The good:
It starts every time
The 4 wheel drive works every time
It drives good
It tows heavy trailers well
Low sticker price compared to a fancy truck

The bad
I don’t like the volume function on the radio
It rides pretty rough

The Bighorn models are nicer for not a lot more money.

I have a friend with a GMC High Country Denali etc. it’s nice, but set him back about $87k.

John

Have a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel, 213k on the clock. It has been a good truck.

As much as I love my diesel, I would not recommend one. $10k + for the diesel package. A little water in the fuel system can cost thousands of $$$. If it is a Ford or Ram and you fill up your fuel tank with DEF...that's a 15k+ hit.

Have had good luck with all the major manufacturers and pop motors and transmissions with all of them too.

I currently drive a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.7L diesel and would NOT recommend it!

I have about 120k miles on it and some modules are beginning to fail. Normally I would say this is to be expected and is no big deal... Except Ram only uses modules for a couple years, then discontinues them, making replacement difficult and expensive! My truck isn't even 6 years old and I'm already having to check junk yards for replacement parts or pay 3x the price for used parts on ebay!

Currently, 2021 Ford F350 4WD Super Duty Limited, 6.7L Diesel. 4" lift with leveling kit and air-ride suspension system. 60 gallon fuel tank, 35" tires, after market heavy duty bumpers front and rear, WARN 12K winch, and Baja Designs lights front and rear.

This replaced my 2000 F250 Super Duty 7.3L Diesel. The 7.3L was chipped and was an absolute beast. It towed anything I ever hooked to it. My reason for replacing this truck was due to the turbo shearing bolts and rather than spend north of $60 or $70K on a re-engine at Banks, I opted to splurge on one with a few more modern conveniences and creature comforts.

The 6.7 is paired with a 10 speed transmission, engine brake, hill descent control, hill start assist, a huge list of creature comforts, and the optional block heater should I find myself in cold weather.

I routinely tow a 20' tilt bed trailer hauling my off-road race vehicle or one of my pieces of equipment, and I have to remind myself there's something back there.

I can go up and over the Sierras on my way to Utah and barely feel it downshift one the way up, or because of the eng brake and hill descent control - barely have the need to touch the brakes.

The 60 gal fuel tank goes a long way. I don't keep track of mileage other than to fill it when it needs it.

As for the reference to not starting due to excessive cold:
1. block heater
2. starting fluid
3. rag or mop on fire - yes, set fire to a rag or mop and put it in front of the air intake
4. if you're this far into it and it won't start - you're meant to stay where you are.

ah yes MY MISTAKE 2021,

2022 F250 Lariat with 7.3 gasser, love it, pulls nice can pass everything but a gas station…I have always had basic trucks XLT but have learned to enjoy remote start, heated and vented seats.

IMG_2447.jpeg
IMG_2665.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianneMo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.