Trophy Debate

Whitetails are amazing in their adaptability. Control the predators and they will soon be at carrying capacity of their environment, even if it is right in the suburbs.... Somehow Wild Turkeys seem to have gotten almost to that same stage, at least in my neck of the woods.

I was at a employee management conference where a guy was extolling the virtues of wild Turkeys.... Explained how a wild turkey is one of the wiliest animals in the woods... And a domestic turkey is so dumb it can drown to death in a rainstorm by looking up at the rain with it's mouth hanging open!

He then went on to explain how to hire "Wild Turkeys" and avoid hiring the domestic ones, figuratively speaking of course.

But back to the point, some animals adapt very well and find ways to flourish and need to be controlled by man while others do not adapt so well and require completely different management schemes (mule deer?).
 
Where I live whitetails are a nuisance in the suburbs. I grew up hunting hundred of acres of creek bottoms and farm land. I see and kill as many deer now on a three acre plot as I do still hunting those hundred acre plots.

However the health of deer is not even comparable, these poor deer in the suburbs are no where hear as healthy due to over population. There is a browse line 6 feet high. It is really unbelievable.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,570,657
Members
168,924
Latest member
LTK
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top