Trophy Debate

Whitetails are amazing in their adaptability. Control the predators and they will soon be at carrying capacity of their environment, even if it is right in the suburbs.... Somehow Wild Turkeys seem to have gotten almost to that same stage, at least in my neck of the woods.

I was at a employee management conference where a guy was extolling the virtues of wild Turkeys.... Explained how a wild turkey is one of the wiliest animals in the woods... And a domestic turkey is so dumb it can drown to death in a rainstorm by looking up at the rain with it's mouth hanging open!

He then went on to explain how to hire "Wild Turkeys" and avoid hiring the domestic ones, figuratively speaking of course.

But back to the point, some animals adapt very well and find ways to flourish and need to be controlled by man while others do not adapt so well and require completely different management schemes (mule deer?).

Where I live whitetails are a nuisance in the suburbs. I grew up hunting hundred of acres of creek bottoms and farm land. I see and kill as many deer now on a three acre plot as I do still hunting those hundred acre plots.

However the health of deer is not even comparable, these poor deer in the suburbs are no where hear as healthy due to over population. There is a browse line 6 feet high. It is really unbelievable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you