Tripod DIY

SStomcat

Silver supporter
AH elite
Joined
May 5, 2016
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
1,955
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Asia/M.East
1
My BOD tripod works well, but it’s fairly heavy and a bit cumbersome to carry around. I decided to make my own lightweight version by scavenging a few items from my garage and buying the following:
  • 3 × 8-foot heavy-duty plastic plant stakes (with steel cores)
  • 6 tennis racket grips
  • Rubber caps for the feet
  • Electrical tape
I cut two of the poles to roughly my height, about 6 feet, and the third pole about 5 inches shorter. Obviously, your preferred lengths may vary. I used a hacksaw for the cuts.

Next, I cut a 2-inch section from an old mountain bike inner tube. Before assembling everything, I wrapped the top ends of the poles with tennis racket grips to provide a solid gripping surface.

I then placed a rubber cap on the top end of the shorter pole and stretched the bike tube section over all three poles to bind them together. The height can easily be adjusted as needed.

Lastly, I added some extra electrical tape around the top section to create a better rest for the rifle and to help hold everything securely together.

All in all, it held up quite well at the range today and is extremely lightweight compared to my BOD tripod.

Pictures below.


IMG_0203.jpeg

IMG_0201.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I did this same exact setup in February to practice a more “primative” type of stick system.
Works great and it’s cheap.
 
How would you get it to Africa? Looks too tall for guncase
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,101
Members
169,699
Latest member
TristanFar
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top