Trigger question

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Let me preface my question by saying I am just a buy ammunition at the store, go to the range to shoot, and go hunting guy. I do not reload or do any customizing. That being said, I have read on this forum abut replacing the 700 Remington trigger(not one with the infamous trigger issue) with an upgrade such as a Timney. I have a 30-06 and was wondering if this would give me a little better performance. I know there are those who for their own reasons do not care for this rifle so please refrain from that issue. Just want to know if upgrading the trigger would be recommended. Thaks in advance.

It would depend on the trigger already in the rifle, a timney would give a consistent crisp break at a given weight. That being said a competent gun smith can do an a trigger job on some Remington triggers and make them preform well.

do you know the year of production of your rifle?

I’m not versed on the triggers in new Remingtons. I’d have to do some reading before I could comment. My limited experience was with a 1962 vintage bdl which I had a timney installed in. Perhaps some of our fellow forum members can shed some light on the situation.

My 2¢. Most factory triggers in today's rifles are designed by their legal department and function accordingly, heavy enough to pull you off target. Can a competent trigger guru make them worth keeping? Sure, but why bother when there are so many good replacements. I've used Timney, Shilen, Jewell, Bix & Andy, Geissele and Trigger Tech triggers in Remingtons and their clones. Bix & Andy is my preference but I have mostly Jewells.

Last edited:
That was my thoughts as well @Hogpatrol but I haven’t personally handled a new Remington to know the quality of there triggers.

if he’d of had a vintage one it’s possible it could of easily been set up by a Gunsmith, regardless a clean crisp trigger should improve his grouping.

I put a Timney (the cheapest one) on my 700 30-06 and love the trigger pull. Very easy install as well

I personally like to replace most of all my triggers - just one less thing I have to worry/fret about. I like Jewells for my Remingtons (the blade feels nicer on my finger - YMMV) but have been putting mostly Timney's on my Winchesters lately.
Not that it isn't fairly easy to adjust the older Remington's or Winchesters (I haven't messed with the newer models) since I usually just swap them out. Even well adjusted I still don't like them as much as an aftermarket version.
As mentioned they have a more consistent crisp pull. I think they are well worth the money.

I have all of my trigger pressure lightened and on my 300 I have a Timney (set for 3/4 pound) others are set at 1.5 pound.
That also goes for my Sako 22 and my lever action Marlin.
When I had ex-military 30/06s I had the trigger replaced and accordingly adjusted.
A friend had his Remington Mohawk in 222’s trigger lightened. Sure was!
Closing the bolt fast and it fired. One day on Anzac day ( like Americans Memorial Day) with a parade not far away he accidentally put a bullet through the floor boards .
Yikes

I have never messed with the triggers in any of my rifles. That is a gunsmith’s job in my opinion. I have had a few rifle’s triggers adjusted. I like around 2.5 lbs for hunting. A poor trigger on a rifle definitely causes decreased accuracy. It is an inexpensive change and worth it if you don’t like what you currently have.

Speedster, not knowing the weight of your factory trigger I would suspect it is a typical 6 lb or so. My personal opinion and experience is a 2 3/4-3 lb pull in my hunting rifles has definitely improved my shooting. But even more than that, practicing breathing, focus, a good consistent rest, and consistent trigger pull off the pad of your finger will also improve your shooting.
Lots of trigger time! You might consider getting a 22 LR rifle similar to your 30-06 as well since you don’t reload. Have the triggers adjusted the same and shoot it with good form, a lot!
One more thing is every rifle has its own ammo preference thus lots of us reload. But you can also find a specific factory ammo your rifle likes by trying all different brands and bullet weights.
Best of luck in your pursuit!

I had a gunsmith do some customizing on my Remington 700 in 30/06, including the installation of a Timney trigger. Set at 3 lbs. It served me well, and never had any problems.

From what I've read I am guessing that there are three types of triggers that have been used on the Rem 700. The first was on the rifle from its introduction in 1962 until some date- I know not. Trigger number 2 is the one that had issues. How it differed from the first one - I know not. It was replaced by the third variation which has evidently satisfied the ambulance chasers but does little as an aid to the shooter. If this information is correct and anyone has the approximate dates of the changes; I'd appreciate learning. and of course if the information is wrong or there were further variations, I'd like to hear the correct information.

Let me preface my question by saying I am just a buy ammunition at the store, go to the range to shoot, and go hunting guy. I do not reload or do any customizing. That being said, I have read on this forum abut replacing the 700 Remington trigger(not one with the infamous trigger issue) with an upgrade such as a Timney. I have a 30-06 and was wondering if this would give me a little better performance. I know there are those who for their own reasons do not care for this rifle so please refrain from that issue. Just want to know if upgrading the trigger would be recommended. Thaks in advance.
I really like putting in a new trigger like the Timney the break really crisp and I can have it right at 3 pound like I like. Generally it helps on accuracy only because you aren’t pulling the gun around when you shoot. So if the trigger is too heavy for you and you can’t adjust it or it just doesn’t break clean it can be a good option. But it’s not a miracle cure for any issue with accuracy.

I can attest to changing Remington factory triggers out and replacing them....the newer Mark factory trigger have a design flaw that can occur at the most inopportune time....the adjustment screw is center at the top of the trigger which makes easy access to adjust.BUT when you drill a hole for the adjustment screw you are in effect weakening and relying on the remaining metal for strength to prevent that trigger from breaking off. It has its weakness. I had a trigger break at that exact spot..trigger seems to be manufactured from some type of “pot metal”. Suddenly you now have NO trigger. Also There is a spring under some Remington triggers that can be replaced, lightening the pull...Ernie the Gunsmith...google him. My suggestion ...a Timney or Trigger Tech replacement for a hunting trigger or a Jewel for target use. I have used them all, including a spring on a factory trigger. My choice in this order. Trigger tech then timney. Easy to install and the best $150.00 you can spend on improving your shooting. Replacing the trigger on any 700 is a distinct improvement over the factory trigger in a very noticeable way. Factory trigger can be stoned to improve break but after a gunsmith does it, including shipping to a qualified smith it is imo just replace it. Niel Jones Custom for stoning and reworking the original trigger if that is the way you prefer, he is one of the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg