Trigger question

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
From what I've read I am guessing that there are three types of triggers that have been used on the Rem 700. The first was on the rifle from its introduction in 1962 until some date- I know not. Trigger number 2 is the one that had issues. How it differed from the first one - I know not. It was replaced by the third variation which has evidently satisfied the ambulance chasers but does little as an aid to the shooter. If this information is correct and anyone has the approximate dates of the changes; I'd appreciate learning. and of course if the information is wrong or there were further variations, I'd like to hear the correct information.
I think the dates for the suspect trigger (2nd) variation) are 2007 to 2014. Mine is the 3rd variation. I was just wanting to upgrade to get a crisper pull. I do not have any huge issues with accuracy, but want to refine my results if I could.

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
Beauty of the 700 is excellent triggers are near drop in. Jewell, Trigger tech, Timney, and a host more of others are excellent. I moved my 'hunting' 700s to trigger techs due to their roller design which makes it near impervious to dust or debris. I've shot a lot of lighter fluid in triggers after dusty days in the field. That, and field adjustable with audible clicks to the weight you want. Still use Jewells on my bench 700 actions.
No real reason to have a gunsmith modify a 700 trigger when so many fantastic options are drop ins.

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I think I have narrowed it down to Triggertech or Timney. There are a couple of Triggertechs. The "Primary" and "Special." Also, they have the option of with or without bolt stop. Anyone with experience or opinions?

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
I think I have narrowed it down to Triggertech or Timney. There are a couple of Triggertechs. The "Primary" and "Special." Also, they have the option of with or without bolt stop. Anyone with experience or opinions?

I believe the special has a lower potential weight setting, or more broad. I have the Primary on my rifles.
For bolt release, if you have the factory bolt release and not the milled side stop, you will want.

I believe I just saw a TT black Friday email as well. They typically go on sale this time every year.

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I believe the special has a lower potential weight setting, or more broad. I have the Primary on my rifles.
For bolt release, if you have the factory bolt release and not the milled side stop, you will want.

I believe I just saw a TT black Friday email as well. They typically go on sale this time every year.
Whose ad was it Tundra? Was it Triggertech themselves or someone else?

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Standard factory unmodified Remington action, you'll need the bolt stop version. The non bolt stop version is for clones with a bolt stop as shown in the photo below. If you put a trigger with no bolt stop in one without that setup, the bolt can pull out of the receiver, not something you want other than cleaning.
IMG_20201124_193219630.jpg

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Standard factory unmodified Remington action, you'll need the bolt stop version. The non bolt stop version is for clones with a bolt stop as shown in the photo below. If you put a trigger with no bolt stop in one without that setup, the bolt can pull out of the receiver, not something you want other than cleaning.
View attachment 376913
Hogpatrol: Thanks. I do have the factrory stop and I was wanting to make sure that I was thinking correctly that I did need one.

shootist~

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
I have the more premium (Calvin Elite) Timney trigger in a Rem 700 based LR precision rifle and it's outstanding. I also replaced the trigger in a CZ American with a standard Timney that I'm very happy with.

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
`Thanks all the feedback. I decided to get a Trigger Tech. They had a Black Friday special of 20% off.

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Trigger tech diamonds are amazing, just have the smith set it for hunting. Still an upgrade over factory and still as safe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavinaQuez

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh