Travelling with a suppressor

Even if it were 100% legal, would you want to miss your flight and have your weapons (and maybe you) detained as some clerk at the airport or TSA tries to figure it all out?

Being right and not getting to your trip seems worse than avoiding it. Same with thermals, night vision, anything ITAR in those regards. Blackpowder.

I think for far less aggravation you could buy one in RSA and have it at camp waiting.
The sky is not falling chicken little!
Some of you guys simply need to keep your irrational fears to yourself.

Since I agreed with @rookhawk I’d guess I’m one of the people you think have irrational fears?

Or did you bother to read further and note that I deal with exporting controlled items for a living?

I’d guess a guy that has temp exported quite literally tens of thousands of firearms, encrypted radio sets, body armor, suppressors, armored vehicles, riot equipment, and several million rounds of ammunition (literal cargo aircraft full) might know at least a little bit about how this all works…

Or… to hell with it… just add your suppressor to your 4457 and take your chances lol…

The penalty for an export mistake is severe… up to $1m for a criminal mistake… $250k for a civil mistake…

Can you take your suppressor out of the country? As stated several times before.. yes… you can…

Is it worth the time and energy? For most, no… not if you intend on actually doing it right…

Yea it was e-form. When I filed I was told 90 days. Then 120, then 180, etc...

I went with the Omega 300.

I’ve got a buddy that runs that can on both a 308 and a 556… it’s impressive… you’re going to love that thing

I’ve got a buddy that runs that can on both a 308 and a 556… it’s impressive… you’re going to love that thing
I have played with it a little on the ar15 so far. Haven't shot it yet with the 300, but so far I do like it.

The sky is not falling chicken little!
Some of you guys simply need to keep your irrational fears to yourself.

What I find most humorous about this is I manage risk for a living for F500s and larger.

It comes down to risk and you've got 4 choices: Accept it, Mitigate it, Transfer it, or Avoid it.

Cheapest scenario with risk of detainment/harassment/ruined trip with a suppressor is to avoid it. Don't bring one.

Second lowest risk is to transfer the risk. Make the operator provide you the suppressor and they can deal with the legalities and woes in their jurisdiction.

Third choice is to mitigate the risk. Fly out of different airports. Avoid liberal cities. Avoid bureaucracies and their bureaucrats. Don't change planes. Don't change airlines. Don't tour abroad intra-trip with layovers. That would mitigate your risk.

But it seems the suppressor junkies don't want any option other than to A.) Accept the risk, and B.) Convince everyone there is no risk whatsoever.

Last count, 7 States do not allow suppressors under any circumstances. Those 7 States make up more than half of the population. Statistically, these people will be the clerks you deal with at an airport for an international flight. These folks will ruin your trip for a myriad of reasons in direct contravention to the law.

I won't regale you with examples of the many ways I've been stalled at the airports by clerks that didn't like something and spent an hour trying to find a way to substantiate that it wasn't legal so they could ruin my day. (I won every time, but I also arrived 6 hours ahead of travel KNOWING I was in for a battle with stupid and that worse case scenario, I throw a bag into a trash bin and accept a multi-thousand dollar loss.)

The issue with traveling with the suppressor is who you talk to and what you read. Technically according to ATF a Suppressor isn't required to be documented for a move on the form 5320.2, however, if you read the back of the form 1 or form 4 it states it does. Contradictory information there from the ATF.

Then there's tons of information online stating that The ATF Form 5320.20 doesn’t include suppressors under it’s requirements and for suppressors, you don’t need to get prior authorization before you move or travel.

All of this reverts to a gray area and depending on who you deal with when leaving and returning. Like previously mentioned, I have had multiple friends travel to South Africa out of Houston and Atlanta with zero issues. They had their can added to 4457 and brought all their paperwork with them. They flew out of country no problem and came back in no problem. They have done this multiple multiple times with no issues whatsoever. The caveat to that is you hear of some people dealing with go hard's at CBP that cause some problems. It is stated on ATF website, which you will see below, they do not require notification for movement of a can. Really it is dependent upon the individual and what risk they are willing to take.

In my opinion, if you have the proper documentation for your can and can reference area's where ATF says no notification of movement for a Can, you should be ok. However, once again, that has to be on you to make that decision. I think it could go either way and there really isn't a black and white determination of what is legal and the correct process.

Silencer central: Silencers are exempted from notification when you travel or relocate. Unlike all other NFA items, you do not have to notify the ATF before traveling across state lines with your silencer, so the whole process is quite painless. You literally transport it as you would any other firearm.

You need to have all of your proper documentation – Form 4s, tax stamps, trust papers – so that you can come back home with the suppressors that you took overseas with you with as little hassle as possible.

In the same vein as the point above, you’ll be dealing with CBP to get your suppressors out of the country in the first place, which is an important part of getting them back in when your trip is over. US Customs Form 4457 is where you’ll declare your suppressors before traveling internationally so that you can come back home with them duty-free.

Silencer Shop: Yes, you can easily travel with a suppressor: when you take your suppressor out of your home state; you (the owner of the suppressor) are not required to complete any special/additional paperwork. Transporting a suppressor is simple: your silencer needs to be securely locked up and out of reach when you travel with it. or other NFA items, “the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle needs authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate” per the ATF. If you are taking any of these items outside of your home state an ATF Form 5320.20 must be approved prior to travel. Yes, flying with a suppressor is likely to be legal, just know a few simple points. At the airline’s check-in desk, declare the suppressor and check the case with the desk attendant. The firearms case (note: a hard-sided container with TSA-approved locks is required to check firearms) that contains the suppressor will be grouped with the checked bags and stowed in a section of the plane with luggage and cargo.

Guns America: Prior to traveling out of state with an NFA Registered Destructive Device, Machinegun, Short Barreled Rifle (SBR), or Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS), you must submit a written request using ATF Form 5320.20 and receive prior authorization before transporting those items across state lines. It’s one of the reasons having a braced pistol rather than a short-barreled rifle is so advantageous. The braced pistols fall under handgun laws, work with concealed carry permits, and don’t require any of this nonsense.

If you’re observant you would have noticed that suppressors and AOWs aren’t on the list above.

Suppressors are one of two NFA items that don’t require notification or prior authorization before leaving your state. Suppressors are treated very similarly to regular firearms. You’re not required to notify anyone when you leave your house, city, county, or even state with your suppressor. So, it’s a myth that you must keep the government informed of your silencer’s location at all times or get prior authorization before leaving your state with a suppressor. That requirement applies to the other NFA items listed above.

ATF: Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms (ATF Form 5320.20)
application-pdf.png
Download Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms (ATF Form 5320.20) (323.83 KB)
This form is used to obtain permission to temporarily or permanently move your registered National Firearms Act (NFA) machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or destructive device interstate. Persons other than qualified federal firearms licensees (FFLs) or government agencies are required to obtain this permission.

Attachments

• f_5320.20_application_to_transport_interstate_or_to_temporarily_export_certain_national_firear...pdf
    323.8 KB · Views: 44
  • CBP Form 4457.pdf
    859.1 KB · Views: 34
I like the idea of leaving a suppressor in Africa but I don't always go back to the same people or countries although I almost always go through Johannesburg . I wonder if one of the companies out of Johannesburg (like Rifle Permits) would store your suppressor for you obviously for a fee?

HH

At 200-300 for a new one, is it even worth the storage idea? It is almost a disposable item at that price. As in would you rent a can on a Safari for 200.00-300.00? If the answer is yes, give it to the guild with the understanding that if you hunt with him again you get to use it.

The issue with traveling with the suppressor is who you talk to and what you read. Technically according to ATF a Suppressor isn't required to be documented for a move on the form 5320.2, however, if you read the back of the form 1 or form 4 it states it does. Contradictory information there from the ATF.

Then there's tons of information online stating that The ATF Form 5320.20 doesn’t include suppressors under it’s requirements and for suppressors, you don’t need to get prior authorization before you move or travel.

All of this reverts to a gray area and depending on who you deal with when leaving and returning. Like previously mentioned, I have had multiple friends travel to South Africa out of Houston and Atlanta with zero issues. They had their can added to 4457 and brought all their paperwork with them. They flew out of country no problem and came back in no problem. They have done this multiple multiple times with no issues whatsoever. The caveat to that is you hear of some people dealing with go hard's at CBP that cause some problems. It is stated on ATF website, which you will see below, they do not require notification for movement of a can. Really it is dependent upon the individual and what risk they are willing to take.

In my opinion, if you have the proper documentation for your can and can reference area's where ATF says no notification of movement for a Can, you should be ok. However, once again, that has to be on you to make that decision. I think it could go either way and there really isn't a black and white determination of what is legal and the correct process.

Silencer central: Silencers are exempted from notification when you travel or relocate. Unlike all other NFA items, you do not have to notify the ATF before traveling across state lines with your silencer, so the whole process is quite painless. You literally transport it as you would any other firearm.

You need to have all of your proper documentation – Form 4s, tax stamps, trust papers – so that you can come back home with the suppressors that you took overseas with you with as little hassle as possible.

In the same vein as the point above, you’ll be dealing with CBP to get your suppressors out of the country in the first place, which is an important part of getting them back in when your trip is over. US Customs Form 4457 is where you’ll declare your suppressors before traveling internationally so that you can come back home with them duty-free.

Silencer Shop: Yes, you can easily travel with a suppressor: when you take your suppressor out of your home state; you (the owner of the suppressor) are not required to complete any special/additional paperwork. Transporting a suppressor is simple: your silencer needs to be securely locked up and out of reach when you travel with it. or other NFA items, “the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle needs authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate” per the ATF. If you are taking any of these items outside of your home state an ATF Form 5320.20 must be approved prior to travel. Yes, flying with a suppressor is likely to be legal, just know a few simple points. At the airline’s check-in desk, declare the suppressor and check the case with the desk attendant. The firearms case (note: a hard-sided container with TSA-approved locks is required to check firearms) that contains the suppressor will be grouped with the checked bags and stowed in a section of the plane with luggage and cargo.

Guns America: Prior to traveling out of state with an NFA Registered Destructive Device, Machinegun, Short Barreled Rifle (SBR), or Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS), you must submit a written request using ATF Form 5320.20 and receive prior authorization before transporting those items across state lines. It’s one of the reasons having a braced pistol rather than a short-barreled rifle is so advantageous. The braced pistols fall under handgun laws, work with concealed carry permits, and don’t require any of this nonsense.

If you’re observant you would have noticed that suppressors and AOWs aren’t on the list above.

Suppressors are one of two NFA items that don’t require notification or prior authorization before leaving your state. Suppressors are treated very similarly to regular firearms. You’re not required to notify anyone when you leave your house, city, county, or even state with your suppressor. So, it’s a myth that you must keep the government informed of your silencer’s location at all times or get prior authorization before leaving your state with a suppressor. That requirement applies to the other NFA items listed above.

ATF: Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms (ATF Form 5320.20)
application-pdf.png
Download Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms (ATF Form 5320.20) (323.83 KB)
This form is used to obtain permission to temporarily or permanently move your registered National Firearms Act (NFA) machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or destructive device interstate. Persons other than qualified federal firearms licensees (FFLs) or government agencies are required to obtain this permission.

Most of what is cited here is addressing traveling domestically...

The game changes significantly when you start talking about international travel (now the Dept of Commerce, the State Department, US Customs, countries where you may have a layover, countries you intend to actually visit, etc all have a stake in the transaction.. in addition to the TSA, ATF, Airport Police, State and Local law/regulation, etc that all have a stake in a domestic flight)..

Taking a suppressor outside the US can absolutely be done (as said many times before).. but there are a lot of potential boxes to be checked from a number of different groups/organizations.. and that list of boxes can change from port of departure and port of arrival pretty significantly..

You make a very good/valid point early in your post... the #1 issue as I see it isnt the law/regulatory environment (tell me what the rules are clearly, and I will follow them...)... the issue is all of the grey area thats been created... and if the traveler cant easily figure out how to navigate the grey.. why would we believe some random customs agent in Atlanta or some random TSA agent in Phoenix, or some random ticket agent in Pittsburg has figured it out...

And, to make matters worse.. as spoken to earlier in this thread.. the Obama Administration initiated the Export Reform Act in 2017 (drafted in 2016, passed in 2017... actions started under the act in 2018)... and had already started making pretty significant changes to how exports are managed for about 4 years prior (2013) under the Export Reform Initiative.... ERI and ERA were SUPPOSED to only take a few years... they still have not finished all of the actions or made all of the changes that ERA calls for... which means quite literally that is the law today, may well change tomorrow, and much of what is the law today was not the law last year...

So now how much faith does anyone have that those same random TSA, Customs, or Ticket Agents know what the requirements are?

If you sincerely try to do things right.. is there a high risk of going to jail or getting penalized... No... but.. there is still substantial risk you might be the guy that gets jerked around for hours or that is not allowed to board.. etc..

If you dont care about whats right and just do as you please.. well.. the risk may or may not be high of getting penalized depending on how muddy the water is for the TSA/Customs/whoever youre dealing with guy... but the penalty is SEVERE (financially and jail time) for willful violations of export law..

So... back to what has been asked over and over again... is the juice worth the proverbial squeeze? when $200-$300 spent in country solves the problem and no actual export is dealt with at all...

Last edited:
I just returned from SA this past Saturday. Landed at Newark and had to go through all the security again and have the rifle inspected at the aiport. Two guys took my rifle, paperwork and passport and looked it over. Then looked me over. The look in their eyes reminded me of the Cape Buffalo I saw a few days earlier.

Your bags don't stay checked all the way to your home airport. If you're traveling to a state where their not legal such as New Jersey how do you explain to them that you think you can have it there ?

There is no way I would have wanted my suppressor with me no matter how much I "thought" it was allowed, even if I was right.

I didn't sleep much on the plane on the way back, I wouldn't have slept at all if I had a suppressor with.

When I picked up my 4457 form a couple months ago the customs agent at our local airport noticed my rifle was threaded for a suppressor. He asked if I was bringing it, I told him "no I don't want any issues" He asked where I was returning and I told him Newark, he flat out told me that suppressors are not allowed in New Jersey or Illinois. I was flying through both states. He said Atlanta would not be a problem, but definitely avoid the 8 states where they're illegal, even if they're in your checked bags.

This is just my experience.

I’m thinking about the same can… could use it on everything from my 458 socom down to my 223 rifles…
They came out with it right after I put in for the 36…

The 46 will suppress my 375 Ruger which will allow my wife to shoot it. She watched me shoot it in the backyard with no muzzle brake and said hell no :LOL:

If you are like me and are knee deep in charlie attachments, the 46m is a sweet deal. All of my end caps and direct thread mounts work between the two.

So... back to what has been asked over and over again... is the juice worth the proverbial squeeze? when $200-$300 spent in country solves the problem and no actual export is dealt with at all...
This is where I ended up. $318 later I have a reputable branded (albeit European) suppressor waiting for me in SA.

$318 to reduce my risk of government "f*ckery" is worth it imo.

Yep... similar situation..

I am fortunate in that the PH I hunt with has a camp rifle with a suppressor that I have used (a wonderful 7x57 with swaro glass, etc)... and another AH member purchased a good quality .30 cal can and left it in camp and has given me his blessing for using it if I am so inclined on any of my .308's... So, theres really no need for me to export a can of my own (or even purchase one in my particular situation)..

Just for the purpose of firing up @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .. I'll mention he has a tack driving .243 with a can on it that can be used as a camp rifle that is perfect jackal medicine as well :D

I am fortunate in that the PH I hunt with has a camp rifle with a suppressor that I have used (a wonderful 7x57 with swaro glass, etc)... and another AH member purchased a good quality .30 cal can and left it in camp and has given me his blessing for using it if I am so inclined on any of my .308's... So, theres really no need for me to export a can of my own (or even purchase one in my particular situation)..

Just for the purpose of firing up @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .. I'll mention he has a tack driving .243 with a can on it that can be used as a camp rifle that is perfect jackal medicine as well :D

That 243 is awesome on Springbuck also!

@mdwest
I'm glad his 243 drives tacks, about all its good for. Not enough power to drive real nails tho a Hammer is better. I hope the can on it is a rubbish can because that's where 243s need to be.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

What I find most humorous about this is I manage risk for a living for F500s and larger.

It comes down to risk and you've got 4 choices: Accept it, Mitigate it, Transfer it, or Avoid it.

Cheapest scenario with risk of detainment/harassment/ruined trip with a suppressor is to avoid it. Don't bring one.

Second lowest risk is to transfer the risk. Make the operator provide you the suppressor and they can deal with the legalities and woes in their jurisdiction.

Third choice is to mitigate the risk. Fly out of different airports. Avoid liberal cities. Avoid bureaucracies and their bureaucrats. Don't change planes. Don't change airlines. Don't tour abroad intra-trip with layovers. That would mitigate your risk.

But it seems the suppressor junkies don't want any option other than to A.) Accept the risk, and B.) Convince everyone there is no risk whatsoever.

Last count, 7 States do not allow suppressors under any circumstances. Those 7 States make up more than half of the population. Statistically, these people will be the clerks you deal with at an airport for an international flight. These folks will ruin your trip for a myriad of reasons in direct contravention to the law.

I won't regale you with examples of the many ways I've been stalled at the airports by clerks that didn't like something and spent an hour trying to find a way to substantiate that it wasn't legal so they could ruin my day. (I won every time, but I also arrived 6 hours ahead of travel KNOWING I was in for a battle with stupid and that worse case scenario, I throw a bag into a trash bin and accept a multi-thousand dollar loss.)
I have thoroughly researched this topic including having an attorney friend (on my safari group) call his friend at ATF To be sure we are correct.
I have no disagreement with your assessment of risk. It's just that most everyone here on this forum are risk takers by the simple fact that they travel and hunt Africa. I've taken scores of hunters with me on safari simply because they would not take "the risk" of going themselves. It is sad and aggravating to me that so many miss out on the adventures of life due to unfounded fears. This is why I do what I do.
I am sorry but I get very testy when people post things that scare hunters away from international travel, traveling with a rifle, and now traveling with a suppressor. Are there risks? Yes! If you are afraid stay home, but leave others to chase their dreams.
Regards,
Philip

I just returned from SA this past Saturday. Landed at Newark and had to go through all the security again and have the rifle inspected at the aiport. Two guys took my rifle, paperwork and passport and looked it over. Then looked me over. The look in their eyes reminded me of the Cape Buffalo I saw a few days earlier.

Your bags don't stay checked all the way to your home airport. If you're traveling to a state where their not legal such as New Jersey how do you explain to them that you think you can have it there ?

There is no way I would have wanted my suppressor with me no matter how much I "thought" it was allowed, even if I was right.

I didn't sleep much on the plane on the way back, I wouldn't have slept at all if I had a suppressor with.

When I picked up my 4457 form a couple months ago the customs agent at our local airport noticed my rifle was threaded for a suppressor. He asked if I was bringing it, I told him "no I don't want any issues" He asked where I was returning and I told him Newark, he flat out told me that suppressors are not allowed in New Jersey or Illinois. I was flying through both states. He said Atlanta would not be a problem, but definitely avoid the 8 states where they're illegal, even if they're in your checked bags.

This is just my experience.
You are correct that you must not travel through a state that does not allow suppressors. This is why I don't take my safari groups on United.

application-pdf.png
You are correct that suppressors are exempt from the 5320.20 for interstate movement. It is however required for international travel.
I just heard one person from Silencer Central on a podcast state what is listed above about declaring it at check in with the airline. This is a terrible idea and will result in someone getting denied boarding. We all know how illiterate airline personnel are these days on guns! The suppressor should be in the gun case preferably off the gun and out of sight.

Since I agreed with @rookhawk I’d guess I’m one of the people you think have irrational fears?

Or did you bother to read further and note that I deal with exporting controlled items for a living?

I’d guess a guy that has temp exported quite literally tens of thousands of firearms, encrypted radio sets, body armor, suppressors, armored vehicles, riot equipment, and several million rounds of ammunition (literal cargo aircraft full) might know at least a little bit about how this all works…

Or… to hell with it… just add your suppressor to your 4457 and take your chances lol…

The penalty for an export mistake is severe… up to $1m for a criminal mistake… $250k for a civil mistake…

Can you take your suppressor out of the country? As stated several times before.. yes… you can…

Is it worth the time and energy? For most, no… not if you intend on actually doing it right…
Instead of finding out how exactly to do it legally you guys just say no, no it's too risky. Reminds me of those on here who say the same about flying with rifles. "Just use the camp gun".
Know the rules, follow the rules, and go hunt!

Instead of finding out how exactly to do it legally you guys just say no, no it's too risky. Reminds me of those on here who say the same about flying with rifles. "Just use the camp gun".
Know the rules, follow the rules, and go hunt!

Did you read any of the actual posts made?

What has been said over and over and over again is...

Yes it can be done..

Do it right.. the penalties for doing it wrong are stiff...

For me, a guy that exports controlled items as a significant part of his job and whose name is often on the "go to jail line" if its done wrong.. I dont do it.. not out of fear (I absolutely know the process.. I have completed more DSP 5's in the last 12 months, and over the course of a career put in more man hours working with export attorneys, attending export conferences, working with BIS, DDTC, etc than I'd guess the entire membership of this board has completed in their lifetimes)... but because there are better solutions in place (for me)...

So.. once again.. if someone wants to head outside the US with a suppressor.. the advice is.. do it.. but do it correctly.. dont think its as simple as adding it to your 4457 and jumping on a plane.. if you dont do it correctly, the penalties are severe (both in the US and abroad).. if you got away with doing it incorrectly in the past, that doesnt mean youll get away with doing it incorrectly in the future..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!