Traditional bow hunters - Are we missing on representation?

Paolo Mauritania

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Mauritania-Senegal border
Hi All,

Returning after few years of absence I have notice that most of the posts on bow hunting are compound oriented.....With all due respect for our fellows, and friends, compound bow hunters, I feel we are missing the ol' days healthy picking at each other, and then go hunt together.

I have seen few posts about inquiring about recuves, little or nothing about longbows (of whatever design): are we (traditional bow hunters) a dying breed, or are we getting out of style? That would be sad after after being around since the end of the upper paleolithic (between 50,000 and 12,000 years ago); I really appreciate technological advancement, but to a point, and not if it takes over from everything else that this ancient discipline means.

I might be a bit outdated in my belief that bow hunting is not just about shooting at an animal, but is the continuation of a battle of skill, stamina, perseverance, an courage between the hunter and the prey, that goes back to the beginning of time, on a plain, and level (sometime not so level, depending on where you sit on the food chain) ground, we respect the animals we kill.

I also believe that we should encourage newcomers, to try both the traditional and technological avenues, and then let them make a decision. I recognize that compound is appealing to the novice for many reasons, it hard to work our way to high poundage on a traditional, it is hard to continuously work on form, and it is hard to achieve consistent aiming ability, and it is demotivating to see that after a break, things appears to disappear, and it is back to the climb again; but perfection is a path, not a destination, an that's what make archery, and bow hunting a life experience, and a way of life.

I am getting sentimental, but to my fellow traditional bow hunters, come out and let's engage our fellow compound hunters, in the old (half a century now, from 1966), friendly skirmish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElaneMayna

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you