Traditional bow hunters - Are we missing on representation?

Paolo Mauritania

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Mauritania-Senegal border
Hi All,

Returning after few years of absence I have notice that most of the posts on bow hunting are compound oriented.....With all due respect for our fellows, and friends, compound bow hunters, I feel we are missing the ol' days healthy picking at each other, and then go hunt together.

I have seen few posts about inquiring about recuves, little or nothing about longbows (of whatever design): are we (traditional bow hunters) a dying breed, or are we getting out of style? That would be sad after after being around since the end of the upper paleolithic (between 50,000 and 12,000 years ago); I really appreciate technological advancement, but to a point, and not if it takes over from everything else that this ancient discipline means.

I might be a bit outdated in my belief that bow hunting is not just about shooting at an animal, but is the continuation of a battle of skill, stamina, perseverance, an courage between the hunter and the prey, that goes back to the beginning of time, on a plain, and level (sometime not so level, depending on where you sit on the food chain) ground, we respect the animals we kill.

I also believe that we should encourage newcomers, to try both the traditional and technological avenues, and then let them make a decision. I recognize that compound is appealing to the novice for many reasons, it hard to work our way to high poundage on a traditional, it is hard to continuously work on form, and it is hard to achieve consistent aiming ability, and it is demotivating to see that after a break, things appears to disappear, and it is back to the climb again; but perfection is a path, not a destination, an that's what make archery, and bow hunting a life experience, and a way of life.

I am getting sentimental, but to my fellow traditional bow hunters, come out and let's engage our fellow compound hunters, in the old (half a century now, from 1966), friendly skirmish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg