Tourist shot on the way to Kruger national park

Christot

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, Hungary, Germany
Hi all,

seems as the tourist hot spots are not really safe in SA.

Are things going south in South Africa safety wise?

Regards

Christot

I live near St. Louis, where some of my rowdier neighbors last weekend decided to shoot the place flat! Something like a dozen people were shot, including some young kids. That makes 154 homicides in ‘22.
Chicagoans last weekend, not to be outdone, shot 34 of their fellow Illinoisans killing 5, including a 3-year old boy. That brings their death toll to 521 this year.
I’m looking forward to traveling to South Africa next June. I just hope they don’t close their borders to folks from St. Louis!

I live near St. Louis, where some of my rowdier neighbors last weekend decided to shoot the place flat! Something like a dozen people were shot, including some young kids. That makes 154 homicides in ‘22.
Chicagoans last weekend, not to be outdone, shot 34 of their fellow Illinoisans killing 5, including a 3-year old boy. That brings their death toll to 521 this year.
I’m looking forward to traveling to South Africa next June. I just hope they don’t close their borders to folks from St. Louis!
Wait until Illinoi's statewide "no Bail' law takes effect Jan.1 for an array of violent crimes, including 2nd Degree murder. They'll run out of ammo in Chicago!

If I'm not mistaken, it was in St. Louis that Clark W. Griswold had his hubcaps stolen while asking for directions.

Unfortunately, crime happens everywhere! Hopefully an isolated incident, and gets resolved quickly. We can't be afraid to "live life"!

My post a few minutes ago was a tongue-in-cheek way of asking for the application of some perspective. Not long ago, before COVID, there were stories making the rounds about European tourists being robbed or killed while enroute to visiting Disney World. Lots of scare stories about Europeans cancelling their US vacation plans. Since COVID, Florida hosts more foreign tourists than any other state. The whole world can seem scary, if you don’t apply some perspective.….and some common sense safety practices. My heart aches for those innocent German tourists who were ambushed. It should never happen anywhere. But, I’m not changing my plans based on such news. I’m from St. Louis after all.

If I'm not mistaken, it was in St. Louis that Clark W. Griswold had his hubcaps stolen while asking for directions.
That was East St. Louis if I recall. . That’s in The People’s Republic of Illinois. Although it could easily have been in north St. Louis city.

Won't be mentioning this to the wife. This is supposed to be 2 days and one night of our trip next June. LOL

After experiancing a farm attack in SA i can say there is no reason to ever go unarmed in Africa. People that arent carrying a gun, or with a man that carries a gun have zero business stepping off the plane in Africa. That being said I carry everywhere in the US and i feel that Chiraq and NYC are some of the most dangerous places on earth.

After experiancing a farm attack in SA i can say there is no reason to ever go unarmed in Africa. People that arent carrying a gun, or with a man that carries a gun have zero business stepping off the plane in Africa. That being said I carry everywhere in the US and i feel that Chiraq and NYC are some of the most dangerous places on earth.
"Chiraq"? Chiracago? Just Noth of Chicago? LOL

Unfortunately, crime happens everywhere! Hopefully an isolated incident, and gets resolved quickly. We can't be afraid to "live life"!
Crime happens everywhere but tourists have long been held sacrosanct. Even pilgrimages in hostile places like Mecca and Jerusalem when under Islamic control for the most part. Certainly more so in African countries depending on foreign currency influxes. It's about dollars and when that is no longer a deterrent, you know things have really gone south.

On my first safari down in the Eastern Cape none of the 3 PH's packed a sidearm, either on or off the outfitters property.

On my second hunt this past June with a different outfitter all the PH's were packing. The only difference was 7 years and about 70 miles from one property to the other.

One thing about my first safari was that when we were in town the vehicles were never left unoccupied

......... People that arent carrying a gun, or with a man that carries a gun have zero business stepping off the plane in Africa. ....
It's sad you were involved in a crime.

I don't carry a firearm and drive myself around South Africa. I'll step off the plane and visit South Africa and use the same reasonable precautions I always would.

A German Tourist was shot here in Canada. No robbery motive, just an irresponsible moron shooting a gun off.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/german-tourist-shot-trial-calgary-teen-sentencing-1.5541269

Sad headlines.....

I don't carry a firearm and drive myself around South Africa. I'll step off the plane and visit South Africa and use the same reasonable precautions I always would.

A German Tourist was shot here in Canada. No robbery motive, just an irresponsible moron shooting a gun off.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/german-tourist-shot-trial-calgary-teen-sentencing-1.5541269

Sad headlines.....
Why the German tourists? This is the third post just today involving them being shot/killed while on vacation. Very strange?

Germany does not want them leaving due to the energy crisis.

In poor form, I'll accept that. It is more than likely due to the holiday most take. It is just that time of year.

Why the German tourists? This is the third post just today involving them being shot/killed while on vacation. Very strange?

This story is old news from here. It's just an example of a sad circumstance that happened in Canada and apparently South Africa. Maybe, statistically there are lots of tourists from Germany running around.

Sad headlines.....
I find the concept on not carrying a gun strange. I carry a freakin gun everywhere even to church

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!