Tough Pack

Hey guys
anyone on here use the Tough pack instead of the traditional rifle cases for travel to africa?
Im thinking about it as it difficult and very bulky to pack the soft gun cases separately, would like to hear some opinions from those who might have used them or know people who have and their experience with the tough packs

Mike
Only case I use. Original purchase was for the standard size. Have thought of purchasing the shorter version for the Blaser. I take three barrels and never had an issue. Always asked to empty case so I bought the fitted bag. Very happy with it. Padlock version
 
I used to use a tough pack. Never to Africa but did domestically. I found it to be a way bigger pain to pack and move around. I prefer packing in a backpack type bag and using a pelican for the guns. Especially when it comes to loading in a vehicle. I doubt we could have gotten a tough pack into the charter I had in Zimbabwe.
 
I used to use a tough pack. Never to Africa but did domestically. I found it to be a way bigger pain to pack and move around. I prefer packing in a backpack type bag and using a pelican for the guns. Especially when it comes to loading in a vehicle. I doubt we could have gotten a tough pack into the charter I had in Zimbabwe.
how did you handle the soft cases after you were there? or did you not take any? also I like taking my own sticks and I need a very large bag in order to pack them, using a tuff pack would help with both problems in my opinion, especially when taking two rifles
mike
 
how did you handle the soft cases after you were there? or did you not take any? also I like taking my own sticks and I need a very large bag in order to pack them, using a tuff pack would help with both problems in my opinion, especially when taking two rifles
mike
I used a Pelican 1750 with the middle foam removed. I had a double rifle and M70 inside bout canvas soft cases packed inside it. When I got there I took the guns and cases out it the case and stored the case in a corner of the tent.

Depending on type of sticks they might have fit in the case.
 
I’ve been trying to decide, I really want to take 3 guns.
 
I’ve been trying to decide, I really want to take 3 guns.
3 will most likely put you over 50lbs. If flying business you get 70lbs and be ok. Otherwise expect $100 added each way for over 50. I paid it usually when taking 3. Also. When I take 375 and 458. With shooting sticks in it. It is over 50 anyway. Was this last trip
 
The only thing better than a Tuff Pak is to leave your guns at home and use the camp guns. I do that most of the time. Taking guns is a hassle and costly. Nearly all shooting is done under 100 yds and at that distance you should not miss.

I don't understand why this is repeated so often by a few members on here. Similar to some people saying "just wear tennis shoes" or "heck you could almost wear flip flops" "You'll rarely leave the truck anyway". Or things like that.

If that's the kind of hunting you enjoy, that's your prerogative. But, guys that say these things all the time have to realize by now that that's not the only kind of hunting in Africa/South Africa.
 
how did you handle the soft cases after you were there? or did you not take any? also I like taking my own sticks and I need a very large bag in order to pack them, using a tuff pack would help with both problems in my opinion, especially when taking two rifles
mike
I used the soft cases when my guns were in the LC's rifle rack.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pc3
I have been thinking Tuffpak. Looking at there website the one to us is the 1050? Can the top be pushed so that a 52" soft case will fit or should you stick to a soft case no longer than the 50"?
 
As to the distance on your shots, I see many comments here about shooting 250yds or more. In Namibia and parts of RSA, you can shoot at that distance if you wish. The terrain is open and you can take those shots.
For me, getting close is the challenge. Unless you are hunting Vaal Rhebok or in perfectly flat and bare ground, getting close should be easy.

I have made 15 trips to Africa to RSA, Namibia, Bots, TZ, Ethiopia, Uganda, Cameroon, CAR, Zim, Zambia. I have taken maybe three shots past 150 yards. Most are inside of 100 yds.

If you love your tools, then take them. I for one am not in love with my tools and use whatever I can and that is easy to get into and out of the country. Taking guns usually adds expense and hassle. The worst is Zambia and Cameroon where you pay a lot of fees to take your guns. This does not include the airline fees or the meet and greet fees.

Suit yourself and do what you like. As for me, guns are tools. No more no less.
 
The only thing better than a Tuff Pak is to leave your guns at home and use the camp guns. I do that most of the time. Taking guns is a hassle and costly. Nearly all shooting is done under 100 yds and at that distance you should not miss.
Not a hassle. Not costly. Infact - easy and cheap. And there's something about owning the gun you took your animals with. Some times when my non-hunting friends look at my mounts they say 'What kind of gun did you use to shoot that?" I love being able to say, "Let me show you."
 
I have been thinking Tuffpak. Looking at there website the one to us is the 1050? Can the top be pushed so that a 52" soft case will fit or should you stick to a soft case no longer than the 50"?
Pretty sure my soft cases are 52” and I had three of them in for my sons and my SA trip….tight but snug I’ll double check though
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,570,706
Members
168,973
Latest member
Hellykelven
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top