Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AFGA, AHEIA
Hunted
Alberta, Florida, Eastern Cape of South Africa x3
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/11/african-trophy-hunting-show-in-toronto-cancelled

If you are able, please support these shows in Toronto, Saskatoon, Calgary and Orlando.

Let Holiday Inn know your views. Folded their tent after only 2 days of pressure!

African trophy hunting show in Toronto cancelled

LIAM CASEY, THE CANADIAN PRESS

FIRST POSTED: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2015 11:11 AM EST | UPDATED: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2015 11:19 AM EST

TORONTO - A Toronto hotel has cancelled an African trophy hunting show after animal activists protested the event in an online petition.

The Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport hotel says in a Facebook post it cancelled the African Hunting Events show, but didn't provide a reason.

A spokesman for InterContinental Hotels Group, which owns the Holiday Inn chain but not the airport hotel, said the Toronto hotel decided to cancel the show earlier Thursday.

But Birgit Johnstone, a director with African Events Canada -- the organizer of the the two-day show along with others in Calgary and Saskatoon -- says the event will go on because she has a legal contract with the hotel.

She says about 40 people have booked trips and secured visas to travel from Africa for the event, which is an important part of their business.

Animal Justice lawyer Camille Labchuk, who led the online petition, says Holiday Inn showed leadership by standing up against the "senseless slaughter of majestic animals."

"More and more companies are stepping up to the plate and refusing to play any part in the trophy hunting industry," Labchuk said.

"The noose is closing around the neck of this cruel industry."

Johnstone said there is a fundamental misunderstanding about the trips that are being promoted at the show.

"This is about sustainable utilization of wildlife in Africa," she said. "It's not about a mass slaughter of wildlife. These are legal hunting trips."

The websites of some of the exhibitors promote hunting lions, elephants and giraffes along with photos and videos of the kills.

Johnstone said hunting is only part of what the exhibitors offer.

"There are also fishing trips, photographic trips, regular safaris, too."

Johnstone is livid with the Holiday Inn.

"I've never tried to hide anything," she said. "The hotel knew what the event was about for months and only now are they changing their minds because of public pressure."

On the hotel FB site they said: The Hotel will no longer be hosting the African Event.

Not, it has been cancelled.

Time for the lawyers to sort the hotel out.

Reactions: lcq
I HOPE THEY HAVE A GOOD CONTRACT

Reactions: lcq
Not sure about Canadian law but I hope there is some "specific performance" language in the contract to help protect the promoter.

The comments on the FB page is the typical uninformed drivel.

Cowards and a misinformed public equal this type of reaction. Here is another example of where no one is informing the hotel chain or the general public about hunting and the benefits it brings to wildlife and the people of the region. No one but hunters and wildlife professionals understand the benefits hunting brings to conservation. We are on danderously thin ice folks. African big game hunting could just be a memory if someone doesn't to something drastically fast. After Africa what then? America?

I have talked to Birgit a few times in the past, she must be furious! It is this same type of nonsense that partially forced the move of the Toronto Sportsmen Show out of downtown Toronto last year. I hope she can turn this around!

Very disappointing that this group, "Animal Justice" is made up of lawyers and professors. I always wonder how educated people can be so stupid.

I have talked to Birgit a few times in the past, she must be furious! It is this same type of nonsense that partially forced the move of the Toronto Sportsmen Show out of downtown Toronto last year. I hope she can turn this around!

Head out to the burbs. Some facility will want to make money.

Very disappointing that this group, "Animal Justice" is made up of lawyers and professors. I always wonder how educated people can be so stupid.

They should stick to something they know. Dog shelters and reducing euthanasia.

There has to be a way to swing this around. So do Anti's have conventions or annual meetings? They support euthanasia of animals shouldn't that be considered the senseless slaughter of animals??? I feel like it wouldn't or doesn't take too much for them to cave.

We as Hunters and Sportsmen alike should now boycot Holiday Inn and all of its' associates !
Glen
Supposedly, this particular hotel is not part of the Holiday Inn chain. That may bear some research.

the problem isn't that these people are stupid, they aren't. They are ideological and evil

We as Hunters and Sportsmen alike should now boycot Holiday Inn and all of its' associates !
Glen
I used to stay at the HI downtown, no more. My next trip this May out of Mtl. I won't be staying with them either. I'll spread the word at the club

I used to stay at the HI downtown, no more. My next trip this May out of Mtl. I won't be staying with them either. I'll spread the word at the club

Who do you figure travels more, the Cat ladies in the FB cult or Hunters?

Who do you figure travels more, the Cat ladies in the FB cult or Hunters?
The cat ladies and FB people don't have a pot to piss in. They are a bunch of thumb twiddling ninnies wearing paper hats asking if you want fries with your big mac.

Very sad to see how large organizations and companies are caving to this type of BS lobbying from groups that do not have a frickin clue of what hunting everywhere in the world is about. Without hunters there is no conservation, PERIOD!
Hunters value the animals they pursue and if that is taken away, then that animal is now worthless other than to poachers and we know about the slaughter related to that all to often.
I attended the Calgary show and it was a fantastic event with meeting great people and being able to talk face to face on African hunting.
I hope they sue that hotel for the breach of contract!

here is the petition # only 2907 people signed this petition and the hotel caved.

https://www.change.org/p/holidayinn-ihg-cancel-african-trophy-hunting-expo-endtrophyhunting

here is the website to the animal justice group that lead the petition.
http://www.animaljustice.ca/media-r...iday-inn-to-drop-african-trophy-hunting-expo/

I will be sending them an email on letting them know how I was just in Africa and how important and viable an industry hunting is to the sustainment of the wildlife in all countries! I will send this off tomorrow.

please add any other important notes to this thread and I will add them in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg