Today I learned...

Thank you for sharing that! Knowing that about myself now... Wow! I feel like I accomplished something today!!!! And I haven't even made it out the front door yet today! :D :p

Someone: What did you do today?
Me: Engaged in make supremacy, was socially reprehensible, and violated animal dignity. I was bu-sy!

(That last one... actually, I did shoot a squirrel off the bird feeder, while I was cooking breakfast, but I didn't leave the house to do it)

Nothing brings me more satisfaction in the day than violating the animal dignity and shortening the life span of some attic free loader squirrel that chooses to pause one last time and shake his tail at me!

as a white heterosexual male hunter with sensitivity and commitment issues, I have come to accept all the bad things I’ve done, oh wait that’s bullshit! I bet ole Chelsea is a blast to party with!

Today I learned, by reading academic literature, that by engaging in trophy hunting or merely desiring to do so, I am:

• Engaging in male supremacy by seeking a trophy of my “conquest”
  • Taking part in an ongoing rehearsal of Western imperialist history
  • Seeking to subjugate and conquer “subhuman” (their words) indigenous peoples
  • Partaking in perpetuating the racist and sexual norms of oppression and social exclusion
  • A human supremacist
  • Not a conservationist
  • Alarming and social reprehensible
  • Violating the dignity of nonhuman animals
Who would have thought we were “guilty” of all of that just for wanting to go hunting in Africa.

Evidently, that is the opinion of Dr. Chelsea Batavia, a postdoc fellow in the Dept of Forest Ecosystems and Society, at Oregon State University

The paper, The Elephant (Head) in the Room, can be found here.

This same lead author also thinks tsetse fly eradication is not ethically justified.

At Academia.edu, I subscribe to be notified of articles about wildlife conservation, Africa, and trophy hunting. Most articles are much different but I do find it instructive to know what is going on in academia as they are teaching (supposedly) the next generation of wildlife biologists.
jpr - warn a guy next time you dump both barrels of such hilarity! Your essay made my bourbon shoot out my nose!

jpr - warn a guy next time you dump both barrels of such hilarity! Your essay made my bourbon shoot out my nose!
I was just trying to give you an effective sinus rinse. I have bad sinuses so I know how hard it is to get an effective one. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.