Tipping the landowner host?

JOHN GRENZ

AH legend
Joined
Aug 22, 2019
Messages
3,751
Reaction score
50,013
Location
South Dakota
Media
34
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories Canda
Leaving in a few weeks for 11 days in Namibia at a family farm/ranch. It is at a farm that has been hosting hunts for 20+ years. One group or family at a time. Will be 6 of us. 3 generations. Myself, son, and grandson will be hunting and 3 observers. The operation is husband and wife plus their adult son. I will be hunting with one of the guys and son and 14 year old grandson will be hunting 2 on 1 with the other. The wife runs the daily operations in the lodge. The price for hunting days, trophy fees, day trip to Etosha park will be in the $25k range. I know we will be tipping staff, skinners, etc. Would it be expected to tip farm owners on top of the amount we are spending with them?
 
I have never tipped the land owners directly unless it was a PH situation where one of the owners was also the PH. I believe you will find that the consensus will be that you tip staff members such as cleaning, cooking, trackers, drivers and laundry staff, but that the land owners will not be part of that discussion. They are making their money by their daily fees. If it was a tiny operation where they had very limited staff members and they were doing double duty where they were the cooks, cleaners, etc then I would look at it completely differently but it wouldn’t surprise me if they refused to accept tips in that situation as well even if you tried. Most will gladly take it as the PH but I’ve also had some say no it’s not necessary.
 
Last edited:
Leaving in a few weeks for 11 days in Namibia at a family farm/ranch. It is at a farm that has been hosting hunts for 20+ years. One group or family at a time. Will be 6 of us. 3 generations. Myself, son, and grandson will be hunting and 3 observers. The operation is husband and wife plus their adult son. I will be hunting with one of the guys and son and 14 year old grandson will be hunting 2 on 1 with the other. The wife runs the daily operations in the lodge. The price for hunting days, trophy fees, day trip to Etosha park will be in the $25k range. I know we will be tipping staff, skinners, etc. Would it be expected to tip farm owners on top of the amount we are spending with them?
My pov is no. I tip my ph, trackers and driver the most. I then take care of the lodge manager and staff
 
Only hunted with two owner/operator/PH. Both refused a tip. Told me tip staff or extra PH only.
 
What roles are they filing? If landowner is acting as your PH I’d give a tip. If his wife is the cook I’d give a tip. If they are only acting as host while others do these roles I probably wouldn’t.
 
I always tip the PH because of the enormous amount of work done prior to the hunt, to make it as successful for you as possible. I have a a couple of PH friends who described the amount of time and effort that goes into every single hunt. Yes, they acknowledge the hunting fees includes their "salary" but it's the pre-hunt prep that earns them a gratuity. Look at a safari as an iceberg; your hunt is just the tip.
 
I know we will be tipping staff, skinners, etc. Would it be expected to tip farm owners on top of the amount we are spending with them?
In 2022 I hunted eland, and then went to Etosha park.
Similar set up, family outfit.

In general:
You dont tip staff!!!!

You tip the outfitter and PH.
Discuss staff tipping, with outfitter, find agreement, and pay him.
He will distribute the tips to the staff.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,288
Messages
1,570,681
Members
168,949
Latest member
LacyMcBeat
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top