Tipping! Here We Go Again

The tips from customers that frequented my Deli and the tips from my Catering basically paid for my trip to Africa. I didn't get tipped just for doing my job I got tipped because I did the best job. and I went out of my way to take care of the people who tipped the best.In the US some people in the service business think you owe them a tip regardless of the quality of the service I leave them a dollar and give the tip to the poor Bastards in the kitchen who do all the real work.

I think the issue is here is the difference between the expected or hoped for state of things, and the actual state of things.

We - or most of us, it seems from these threads - are unhappy with the concept of people not being paid a reasonable wage and depending on outsize (or US style) tips to make a living. Some of us end up at "it is what it is," and tip accordingly, while others will stand on principal, and tip accordingly. Both sides are less than happy.

And based on the threads, this is one of the biggest issues that hunters have with hunting safaris today. It even gets more posts, or at least more assertive posts, I'd wager, than canned lion hunting (oops, sorry, captive bred lion hunting).

You would think that a business based on customer service - like the hunting business - would try to find a solution to this problem that works for everyone.

............ I'd wager, than canned lion hunting (oops, sorry, captive bred lion hunting).

In the interests of transparency I'll give you a tip: It's "Ranch" Lions. Get it right would you. :ROFLMAO:

I hunted a farm in Zululand that had two "workers", I can not call them trackers. One was the most entitled butt crack I have run into in Africa and the other was an honest hard working jovial sort (we called him Danny Glover). The entitled fellow was the "senior" staff member.

Without a word between the hunters it came to pass at the end of the hunt that each hunter gave a tip according to the service they thought they received and the hard worker got the much larger tip presented right in front of Mr. Entitlement. It did not improve Mr. Entitlements mood and disposition any but Danny Glover was ear to ear smiles as he had not expected anything.
I would be interested to see if any behaviour mod took place on that farm after we left. :)

In the interests of transparency I'll give you a tip: It's "Ranch" Lions. Get it right would you. :ROFLMAO:
Lots have people have told me I'm a slow learner. I think. I can't be sure actually. But maybe.

I hunted a farm in Zululand that had two "workers", I can not call them trackers. One was the most entitled butt crack I have run into in Africa and the other was an honest hard working jovial sort (we called him Danny Glover). The entitled fellow was the "senior" staff member.

Without a word between the hunters it came to pass at the end of the hunt that each hunter gave a tip according to the service they thought they received and the hard worker got the much larger tip presented right in front of Mr. Entitlement. It did not improve Mr. Entitlements mood and disposition any but Danny Glover was ear to ear smiles as he had not expected anything.
I would be interested to see if any behaviour mod took place on that farm after we left. :)
I've met people like Mr. Entitlements. My guess is that life became just a little harder for Danny after you left.

I do get a little annoyed at this mantra that some folks in the US don't get a so called "living wage". This is baloney. There is and has been for many decades a set minimum wage that rises with the inflation rate at least and it varies from state to state. When I was a youngster starting out, the minimum wage was 1.60 an hour. Seemed like big bucks to me at the time, of course by todays standards its a joke. Point is, trying to compare how wages are paid here and in the rest of the world that have completely different economies is comparing apples and oranges, it wont compute. Minimum wage jobs are for youngsters starting out, college kids, and those who will never amount to anything. We have plenty of those in America! Those lower wage jobs were NEVER meant to be the type of jobs to sustain a family, two cars, rent, internet, cat food and all the other trappings that we love so much here. They are meant to get you started in hopes that you will show a little initiative and drive to show the boss you want to do something with your life besides flip burgers or clean toilets! That's all these low paying jobs were meant to be. At what point would one consider a wage to be living? $12, $15, $20 an hour? Why not $50? Who decides, Uncle Sam? The system in America is capitalism. It works if folks will let it. Let the market decide what people are paid. In my nearest big city, Seattle, WA, the city council run by mostly commies and losers put in place a $15 minimum wage recently, to be implemented in several steps I believe. Since they did that many restaurant's have had to close or curtail operations due to the increase in costs, that were decided by someone else. Its called the law of unintended consequence's. Just leave s**t alone and it will work itself out. When tips are not just hoped for but expected regardless the effort put forth to earn it, its not a good thing. Rant over.

I've met people like Mr. Entitlements. My guess is that life became just a little harder for Danny after you left.

Sad, but likely true.

Do you tip the owner of the outfit? If so what percent do you give him?
I leave the owner my unused ammo. I bring far too much :) and the premium stuff is worth the earth in Africa. I deal with my ph personally and leave the owner a tip for the staff.

I like the tipping system. It provides an incentive for better-than-average service.

Reactions: lcq
I like the tipping system. It provides an incentive for better-than-average service.
I don't disagree with that, but unfortunately as has been said, at some point it becomes expected and is no longer the incentive it once was. We have become conditioned to leave some amount of tip for all types of services regardless the level of that service and when that happens the tip becomes part of expected wages. In hunting camps tips are flat out expected and discussed as if you were directly paying all the staffs wages, which we are not, but it sure feels that way when settling up at the end of the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegeafricagroup

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois