Tipping Guide

When I hunted SA I was told by the old pros on this site and some of the locals around me to just contact my outfitter and fin out what he suggested.

I was told by (sure most know who I hunted with), that if I was happy with the hunt and and it's outcome, he suggested paying the PH X amount of dollars. I asked about the staff, he said that he pays the staff well and that if I wanted to tip them I could, but, it was not expected. It was very laid back, and I handed the "suggested" tip to the PH along with a limited addition Browning Bowie knife and everything was great.

Just ask the outfitter, I think Fredrik, touched on this really early in this post.

One other thing some may want to think about is that on a first time hunt the PH is paid a Commission for guiding the hunter at the end of the hunt I watched as Rusty filled out the paperwork he looked at me and smiled I don't get paid if I don't fill out the paper work, but on return hunters they don't always get paid a Commission that means they are working for tips as well so keep that in mind when you go back for your next hunt of a Life Time.

A PH working just for tips? Never heard of that....

A PH working just for tips? Never heard of that....

Thats what I was told by the owner of a farm in Africa and I'm not saying all outfitters do that but think about it if your going back for a second hunt and he's giving you some great prices on the animals taken then someone is having to bite the bullet on the prices and if the PH has hunted with them for a while then they know this already again this is where you need to make contact with the outfitter that you will be hunting with and see what his policies are. And I'm not saying that an Outfitter wouldn't feed you a little BS to get you to hunt with them always keep that in mind their trying to make a living to.

One need to look at the currency exchange rate when providing a tip...
$1 US dollar =
$ 7.46 Botswana Pula
$ 7.99 Namibia Dollar
$ 8.06 South African Rand
$86.52 Kenyan Shilling
$378.69 Zimbabwean Dollar
$1,588.50 Tanzanian Shilling

Example: in Tanzania it cost about $2,000 = or - for a bottle of water depending on the store or $2 dollars us.
Example: in South Africa it cost $9.95 for a liter of diesel

Also talking to many PH's the basic Tip for good service is $5.00 US Dollars a day per person for camp and field staff. And this is a good starting point that is why you are asked how you are doing and if anything need to be corrected. Hard to find items are much appreciated by those in the bush.

$1 US dollar =
$ 7.46 Botswana Pula
$ 7.99 Namibia Dollar
$86.52 Kenyan Shilling

Example: in Tanzania it cost about $2,000 = or - for a bottle of water depending on the store or $2 dollars us.
Example: in South Africa it cost $9.95 for a liter of diesel

Also talking to many PH's the basic Tip for good service is $5.00 US Dollars a day per person for camp and field staff. And this is a good starting point that is why you are asked how you are doing and if anything need to be corrected. Hard to find items are much appreciated by those in the bush.

James thats a good point to look at. Like the gifts I got my trackers 14.99 = 120 South African Rand
heck I drink that much in beer a week something I can do with out but it means a lot to them.

James,

Why can it not be as simple as listening to the outfitter, and in my case the outfitter/PH, as far as a suggested tip IF you are pleased with the hunt and the service. I have only hunted SA and I admit and I am not going to imply that I am an expert on SA or any other of the African countries, but, if a PH tells me that the appropriate tip (again if I am pleased with the hunt) is X amount of Pula, Rand, Shilling, Kwatcha, etc. etc. why make it a harder on the next group by tipping much more than what was suggested. If I am told that the wages are taken care of then that's where I would leave it, plain and simple. If I am told that X amount of dollars would be a good tip for a PH, then that's where I would leave it. I am just talking about raw currency, we left candies and small items that were suggested to bring/leave. My point is, is that the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans", it became a saying for a reason.

James,

Why can it not be as simple as listening to the outfitter, and in my case the outfitter/PH, as far as a suggested tip IF you are pleased with the hunt and the service. I have only hunted SA and I admit and I am not going to imply that I am an expert on SA or any other of the African countries, but, if a PH tells me that the appropriate tip (again if I am pleased with the hunt) is X amount of Pula, Rand, Shilling, Kwatcha, etc. etc. why make it a harder on the next group by tipping much more than what was suggested. If I am told that the wages are taken care of then that's where I would leave it, plain and simple. If I am told that X amount of dollars would be a good tip for a PH, then that's where I would leave it. I am just talking about raw currency, we left candies and small items that were suggested to bring/leave. My point is, is that the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans", it became a saying for a reason.

35bore these are some good points as well and even I hadn't thought of that, so maybe if giving the suggested tip would be better and the extra be the gift itself Something to think about.

Thanks Bob,

It just seems simple to me, I listened and hung on every word my PH/Outfitter said to me during the hunt (shoot the one on the left, shoot the one running away from us right up the bumm:), the one in the clearing is the biggest) so why wouldn't I take his word on the appropriate tip? If he came to the US to hunt Whitetail with me, I am certain he would do what I told him to when it came time to hunt.

Thanks Bob,

It just seems simple to me, I listened and hung on every word my PH/Outfitter said to me during the hunt (shoot the one on the left, shoot the one running away from us right up the bumm:), the one in the clearing is the biggest) so why wouldn't I take his word on the appropriate tip? If he came to the US to hunt Whitetail with me, I am certain he would do what I told him to when it came time to hunt.

Point well made, sometimes I think maybe we get to worried about weather we're tipping enough or not when maybe we should just take the advice of the Outfitter and leave it at that again as has been stated through out this thread contact the Otfitter/PH and Ask. I guess its that simple and any extras are on the hunter them self.

$1 US dollar =
$ 7.46 Botswana Pula
$ 7.99 Namibia Dollar
$86.52 Kenyan Shilling

Example: in South Africa it cost $9.95 for a liter of diesel.

James, not sure what the currency exchange has to do with this? I mentioned earlier that I left 100 rand for each camp staff (and that amount was recommended by the ph). At the time, that was worth about $15. I don't know about everyone else, but when I travel to a foreign country, I know what the exchange is.
I

And this is a good starting point that is why you are asked how you are doing and if anything need to be corrected. Hard to find items are much appreciated by those in the bush.

I disagree, they should be asking if everything is alright because I've paid several thousand dollars in day fees to be there. If the service is good, I'll tip fairly. If it's not, then the tip will be less.

James,

I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

Hard to believe this thread still goes on! On 6 trips to Africa no PH has ever asked me if things were going as I expected. I have tipped something to staff and PH on every trip, sometimes less than what might be considered average depending on all factors. For instance on my last trip which I wont recount I tipped a little less due to what I considered less than expert trackers, less than gracious cooks and camp staff, less than 100 percent effort by PH at least on certain animals and all around less than a gratifying experience. My feeling on gifts like Grage is dragging along is leave them home. What these people appreciate most of all is cash, especially where James is going next, Zimbabwe. And by the way I'm sure James knows that the US dollar is the currency form there. How many knives does a tracker need? Giving a bush tracker an expensive custom knife is nice but chances are he will destroy it in 2 seasons sharpening it on the nearest rock. Take a few T-shirts, cheap gloves, cheap hand warmers etc, cool. Leave shoes you may not need again, I have done that. Keep it simple, mostly they want and need money. But this whole thing has gotten out of hand I think. Its become expected like a waitress expects a tip regardless the service rendered. We have been all thru this before. Tip for good service, dont tip for not so good service. Its not that complicated. Not so good service does happen even in Africa!

This is the start of the 2012 safari season... and i resurrected this forum post to get everyone that is going to start thinking what will I or we do when it is time to take the long flight across the pond.

Very good points have been brought up and yes i do listen to the PH and follow there lead.

Usually a sit down discussion on tipping is done person by person a couple of days before we leave camp with the PH while we are having a toddy around the campfire or bar.

Just wanted to bring this up and see what came up.

Why do people think that they have to tip disregarding the service they get?
Why should a PH and the staff expect a tip?

I think specially American hunters have made the tipping way overboard.
It is not me that shall pay the salary of a waiter/waitress in a restaurant and it is not me that shall pay the salary of the PH or the staff.
All this should be included in the menu price or the daily fees.
Why else do we pay more in daily fees if we hunt 1x1?
The tip I give them is something they should not expect, but come as a bonus if they give me great service.

I think it is totally fine to bring a few gifts, but don't regard it as a part of the tipping.
The tipping it self should only be moeny and the size of it should reflect the service and the experience you are given.

Sometimes I read bad hunting reports where the hunter/hunters are very unhappy with their whole hunting trip/safari and they still leave tip......

The best tip anyone can get, is a returning costumer in my opinion. Specially if he/she bring friends/family next they come.

The best tip anyone can get, is a returning costumer in my opinion. Specially if he/she bring friends/family next they come.

Norwegianwoods,

In post #11 of this thread, Frederik, said the same thing. He would rather you shot an extra animal with the tip money, and get your repeat business. Very good point.

As far as Americans being to blame, who knows, you may be right, but, most of the posts on this thread seem to have a common trait, if the service is good then tip good. If it is bad, then don't tip good.

No surprise, but I totally agree with Norwegianwoods.

Great guidelines, very much appreciated Jerome. Eye-opener. Will reference this article at some stage.

Why do people think that they have to tip disregarding the service they get?
Why should a PH and the staff expect a tip?

I think specially American hunters have made the tipping way overboard.
It is not me that shall pay the salary of a waiter/waitress in a restaurant and it is not me that shall pay the salary of the PH or the staff.
All this should be included in the menu price or the daily fees.
Why else do we pay more in daily fees if we hunt 1x1?
The tip I give them is something they should not expect, but come as a bonus if they give me great service.

I think it is totally fine to bring a few gifts, but don't regard it as a part of the tipping.
The tipping it self should only be moeny and the size of it should reflect the service and the experience you are given.

Sometimes I read bad hunting reports where the hunter/hunters are very unhappy with their whole hunting trip/safari and they still leave tip......

Norwegianwoods I know your getting alot of agreements on here and I in part agree with you but if my memory serves me right in the 9 years living off and on in Germany when you go out to eat your tip is added in to the bill for you weather you get good service or not the option is not left up to the person paying for the service were with tipping for hunts is left up to the hunter however I have never lived in Norway and it may be different there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.