Thoughts on two gun mods I completed

Daisy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know most here like traditional wood guns. I do too, but sometimes I like to “trick” them out.

First is a 416 ruger ruger guide gun. I had it glass bedded, stock camo dipped, metal cerakoted, and a spartan gunsmith adapter added. We couldn’t find a good way to adjust LOP so added a pachymar pad for length.
IMG_2309.jpeg

Second is a 375 ruger savage brush hunter. Got it for 600 bucks. I added woox wood stock, glass bedded, cerakote metal and removed iron sites for reflex suppressor (heresy I know), new bottom metal to accept ACIS magazine, LOP lengthened and spartan adapter.
IMG_2310.jpeg

Top one has a leupold patrol 1-6 firedot.

Bottom has a Steiner predator 8 2-16.

Last edited:
I have a handful of beautifully figured walnut stocked rifles with deep blue finishes.. but for the most part I am of the opinion that options that involved synthetic stocks, modern finishes and/or stainless are more practical, and therefore more appealing (for me)... most of my hunting rifles either have laminate or synthetic stocks and are either stainless or have some sort of modern finish on them (duracoat, cerakote, alumihyde, etc).. I figure Im typically banging around in bad weather.. and no matter how hard I try I cant avoid clinking a stock or steel against a tree, the metal edge of a blind, etc.. so I am much better off with durability and functionality rather than beauty and form..

I particularly like what youve done with your Ruger Guide gun.. I've thought about getting a couple of rifle stocks dipped to match the camo pattern I most commonly use (Sitka Optifade Open Country).. Not that its really needed or even practical.. I just think it would look good :) ...

I have a handful of beautifully figured walnut stocked rifles with deep blue finishes.. but for the most part I am of the opinion that options that involved synthetic stocks, modern finishes and/or stainless are more practical, and therefore more appealing (for me)... most of my hunting rifles either have laminate or synthetic stocks and are either stainless or have some sort of modern finish on them (duracoat, cerakote, alumihyde, etc).. I figure Im typically banging around in bad weather.. and no matter how hard I try I cant avoid clinking a stock or steel against a tree, the metal edge of a blind, etc.. so I am much better off with durability and functionality rather than beauty and form..

I particularly like what youve done with your Ruger Guide gun.. I've thought about getting a couple of rifle stocks dipped to match the camo pattern I most commonly use (Sitka Optifade Open Country).. Not that its really needed or even practical.. I just think it would look good :) ...
I’m right with ya. My guns get worked hard. Kuiu verde is my pattern of choice.

Both guns were stainless. I don’t like how stainless barrels look, they stick out like a sore thumb, and adding cerakote on top makes them bulletproof.

Both guns are 20” and so much more practical for toting around in bush or even maneuvering in a shooting blind.

They look beautiful, just a different kind of beauty is all. I like to look at gorgeous wooden stocks but when I'm hunting I reach for my Tikka T3 lite stainless. Been all over the place with it and it still looks pretty much new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineTrp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob