Thoughts on This Verney-C O/U Double Rifle

AES

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Gents - would very much appreciate your thoughts on the DR in the link. The price seems to be reasonable enough that rolling the dice on something that is somewhat odd (read:has no resale market) may have some merit. I have never fired an O/U double but I suppose its not too different than firing slugs out of an O/U shotgun, which I do frequently. The pessimistic side of me knows that the actual market for DRs is hyper small (particularly during a global pandemic) and that offering more than 50% of what they are asking is likely overpaying. However, I would consider myself someone who is prone to taking a risk on an item that seems like fun and is a rewarding hunting companion! Let's just assume I pay 75% of ask, do you guys think this would be a fun rifle and worthwhile pursuit?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...e-rifle-model-sk-8x57jrs.cfm?gun_id=101400248

Attachments

• Screenshot (668).png
    Screenshot (668).png
    292.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot (669).png
    Screenshot (669).png
    449.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot (670).png
    Screenshot (670).png
    336.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot (671).png
    Screenshot (671).png
    159.3 KB · Views: 112
I bought the same double at DSC this year. I tried s&b and privi factory ammo and found that is shot the privi the best and the double is very well regulated. I just purchased the scope rings and plan on using a 1.5x6 on it and start doing some load development with 200gr accubonds. So far I am happy with the rifle , need to put some more rounds through it.

Reactions: AES
I bought the same double at DSC this year. I tried s&b and privi factory ammo and found that is shot the privi the best and the double is very well regulated. I just purchased the scope rings and plan on using a 1.5x6 on it and start doing some load development with 200gr accubonds. So far I am happy with the rifle , need to put some more rounds through it.

What are your thoughts on pricing for this used model?

@AZDAVE did you get it in the same caliber

What is that on foto 11 by upper extractor? Looks like pitting, but maybe artifact or dirt? Just asking.....FWB

We have a repeat client that hunts with a VC .450-400 OU. It is a very fine rifle, handles beautifully and is very accurate (so is the client). I really like the rifle. I do know that he has had a problem with one of the strikers and still has not got around to seeing that it is 100%.

BUY....great rifle and great caliber...

I own the very same VC O/U, but in 375 Flanged Magnum. It is perfect in every regard. Mine is not the scoped model, so the hogs back comb sits a bit lower, but it fits like a glove and points exactly on target every time. Well regulated and accurate. I would definitely buy it, if it was over here in Africa i would snap it up within a heart beat.

@CAustin yes I bought it in the 8x57JRS

@AES It is a fair price for that double, you might be able to get them down a couple hundred, If my memory serves me I paid about 150 less at DSC (I bought it at the VC booth). It compliments my 450/400 VC quite nicely.

@Kevin Peacocke my 450/400 is a O/U I got it years ago as part of a 3 way trade and I wanted to not like it as it wasn't a traditional SxS. I figured I would shoot a box of rounds and send it down the road on a trade for ???

Well it shoots so well that I will never sell it. Fits me perfectly I have worked up loads for Swift AFrames, Northfork, CEB and Hornaday solids that all shoot to the same point of impact with 4 shots under 2in center to center at 50 when I do my part. I used it on my last safari for the hippo in my avatar and a roan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaydenJaco

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,