This is a rifle I have had for a while but only recently started to wring out

xausa

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
This is a rifle I have had for a while but only recently started to wring out. It was built by Griffin & Howe, based on a 1916 Newton action, with a half octagon, half round barrel in .35 Newton caliber, with a Zeiss Zielklein scope in a G&H single lever side mount with windage adjustment. I decided to go deer hunting with it this fall and am working up some cast bullet loads with appropriate velocities. As you might expect from a Griffin & Howe rifle, it handles beautifully.
182_1(3).jpg

Xausa, this is the second rifle I've seen this week with a folding receiver sight attached to the bolt. Obviously it isn't as uncommon as I'd thought. How does the 35 Newton compare to the 35 Whelen?

Xausa, this is the second rifle I've seen this week with a folding receiver sight attached to the bolt. Obviously it isn't as uncommon as I'd thought. How does the 35 Newton compare to the 35 Whelen?
35 Whelen 72.6 grains of water, 35 Newton 83.5 grains of water 358 Norma Mag 80 grains of water.
If Bob see’s this he will tell you, you might get it close to the Whelen’s performance!

Boyd Brooks, thanks for the info. Sounds like the 35 Newton will give a 375 H&H a run for its money. Might even shade it a bit.
Right up until it falls 0.017" shy at the caliper.
XifHvBX.gif

However, if you are not talking about arbitrary limits than yes it has potential to be quite impressive indeed. A picture of the cartridge for comparison.
Screenshot_20211018-095133~2.png

I do really appreciate the set triggers and the preservation of sight radius. With that long barrel it's just sure to shoot well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right up until it falls 0.017" shy at the caliper.
View attachment 431457

However, if you are not talking about arbitrary limits than yes it has potential to be quite impressive indeed. A picture of the cartridge for comparison.View attachment 431407

I do really appreciate the set triggers and the preservation of sight radius. With that long barrel it's just sure to shoot well.
Interesting. I own rifles in all but two of those calibers: .350 Remington Magnum and .35 Winchester, but I also have a 9X57 Mauser and 9X56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, plus a .35 Rigby Magnum and a .350 Rigby No. 2, so I'm closing in on a complete set of .35 caliber rifles.

I find it funny, interesting, when I see an article that warns of Springfield 1903 & 03A3 being 80 to 100 years old and people should load them down to be safe.
So any old rifle might have age failing steel in it? Is this standard stupidity?
As a machinist and fabricator I've never found a piece of steel rotting away just because it is old.

Xausa, how about a photo of your 35(s)?
This could take a while, but I can make a start:
Rigby .350 Magnum 001.jpg
Rigby .350 Magnum 002.jpg

This is my .350 Rigby Magnum, assembled by Lon Paul with original parts, except for the barrel. The action is a Magnum Mauser action with a slant box, originally made for the .400/.350 Rigby. It was the first Magnum length action built by Mauser. The barrel is turned to the original Rigby profile and is fitted with original Rigby sights. The cocking piece sight is a replica.

This could take a while, but I can make a start:View attachment 431759View attachment 431760
This is my .350 Rigby Magnum, assembled by Lon Paul with original parts, except for the barrel. The action is a Magnum Mauser action with a slant box, originally made for the .400/.350 Rigby. It was the first Magnum length action built by Mauser. The barrel is turned to the original Rigby profile and is fitted with original Rigby sights. The cocking piece sight is a replica.
That is truly stunning, such elegant simple lines!

Interesting. I own rifles in all but two of those calibers: .350 Remington Magnum and .35 Winchester, but I also have a 9X57 Mauser and 9X56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, plus a .35 Rigby Magnum and a .350 Rigby No. 2, so I'm closing in on a complete set of .35 caliber rifles.
How about a photo of the cartridges?

This is my .35 Whelen. It was assembled by Mark Penrod out of a collection of parts I had accumulated over the years, starting with a stock, which I purchased off eBay and which I was later able to determine was made by stockmaker Floyd Butler, to which I added an action, a Noske scope and side mount, a Lyman 48 receiver sight, and a Redfield banded ramp and front sight. This is the finished product, to which Mark added a barrel.

Penrod Springfield 014.jpg
Penrod Springfield 013 - Copy.jpg
Penrod Springfield 015.jpg

Last edited:
How about a photo of the cartridges?
This is the only photo I have of original cartridges. They belonged to a friend, Klaus Ferfort, now no longer with us, who had several original Rigby slant box rifles. I don't know what became of them.
Rigby  Magnum Action 001.jpg
Rigby  Magnum Action.jpg
Klaus Ferfort Rigby.jpg

Klaus Ferfort Rigby.jpg 003.jpg

All the slant box Magnum actions were single square bridge. Rigby machined a raised flat area oon the barrel just in front of the receiver ring, evidently to accomodate claw mounts, such as the one on Klaus' rifle. The early ones, like the one pictured, had stepped receiver rings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois