Thinking of selling my .404

That is a fabulous rifle. Perfect or very close to it. If I didn't shoot left handed, I'd be making an offer on it.

About 2 years ago I imported a high end London game gun from the UK, my second importation. If you have an exporting dealer in the UK, a permit from the BATF, and an importing FFl here in the USA it is not difficult, though it does take some time.

British Sporting Arms can certainly import for you. They are expensive. There are other USA importing dealers who could probably do it for less. All in all it is a fabulous gun and worth the effort.

Hard to believe the OP still doesn't know how much he wants for the rifle.

Hard to believe the OP still doesn't know how much he wants for the rifle.
Hi @sierraone it's not that I don't know what I would like for it, it's that I do not have the slightest idea what its realistically worth, any thoughts?

Hi @sierraone it's not that I don't know what I would like for it, it's that I do not have the slightest idea what its realistically worth, any thoughts?

Hi Stalker91

A couple of ideas.

Holts Auctioneers have free valuation days around the country. After lockdown, it might be worth popping down to one of those.

Or you could try asking Westley Richards for their thoughts.

With kind regards

NF

First of all I would have one of your dealers in London give you an estimate and go with that. Secondly, it appears to me to be valued at least that of a Heym Martini of $9000-$10000. You can offer it at that price, if no one offers to buy it then lower the price. A potential American buyer just has to keep in mind he will have to pay additional import costs to someone. It just seems to me you are making this far more difficult than it needs to be if you in fact want to sell the rifle.

Without pictures, it is hard to say but from your description, I would say $2,000 to $3,000USD.

I just recently purchased a 358 Norma Mag in a similar state without some of the extra flourishes of your rifle for $1200 plus shipping on a nice FN M98 action.

Have recently purchased a brand new in the box PH 404j ...if you want to PM me should be a good guide price

Without pictures, it is hard to say but from your description, I would say $2,000 to $3,000USD.

I just recently purchased a 358 Norma Mag in a similar state without some of the extra flourishes of your rifle for $1200 plus shipping on a nice FN M98 action.
The OP has nine photos posted for this rifle. You must be having a hard time reading a thread. This is no $2000 or $3000 rifle

Reactions: WAB
A very nice rifle, but.............3 pages and 3 weeks? Does anyone know what the OPs asking price for this gun is?

A very nice rifle, but.............3 pages and 3 weeks? Does anyone know what the OPs asking price for this gun is?
No he refuses to name a price. Maintain he doesn't know the value. He obviously doesn't want to sell it, or it is some type of scam. If I were in London with all the high end shops there, I could find out in one day what it's worth. And would have known before I advertised it for sale.

Hi Stalker91

A couple of ideas.

Holts Auctioneers have free valuation days around the country. After lockdown, it might be worth popping down to one of those.

Or you could try asking Westley Richards for their thoughts.

With kind regards

NF

Thank you for that I was going to take it to hoots but the commission is ridiculous. I’ve already spoken to WR and sent them pictures just waiting for them to reply with a estimated value. Thank you for your help

No he refuses to name a price. Maintain he doesn't know the value. He obviously doesn't want to sell it, or it is some type of scam. If I were in London with all the high end shops there, I could find out in one day what it's worth. And would have known before I advertised it for sale.

I’m hardly refusing to name a price. My first sentence says that I’m thinking of selling it but need help with a value. I do not know the value or I would be stating that, I simply asked for some help off the experienced members of the site. So must be a scam

Not everyone that lives in the UK lives in London and if I did I would ask them too. We have also been in a lockdown for longer that I can remember now so can’t just go for a 4 hour drive to the big city.

I have spoken to and emailed pictures to WR and am just waiting for a response with a estimated value. Also I haven’t actually advertised it for sale, just waiting for a estimated value to see if it’s worth me selling but I am considering it to help fund my next hunt.

Last edited:
Too easy...
So you dont want your rifle anymore.
You can either ask what you paid for it new.
Or ask a bit less.?
Please tell the few 100 of us interested what the price is..

So I have now found out what it cost the original owner to have built and I’ve had feed back from a couple makers and they have come to an average of what the rifle is worth to sell.

The original build cost was £12k plus optics and the rebuild cost a estimated at £12-15k A lot of this goes to the case colour hardening, engraving and gold inlay, although minor in all areas it all adds up apparently!!

They have told me to advertise it all inc at £8,000 so that’s the asking price for anyone interested. Of course I am open to offers and would help with any shipping paperwork ect.

I will put it in the classifieds and put a link to it.

Thank you all for looking and your input. Happy hunting

Great buy everyone, will switch to classified to see specs.

Stalker 91.
The rifle for sale was built for me by Bob. I was going to Africa but a close family death has made me rethink my plans.
The rifle did not cost anywhere close to £12k infact no where near half that amount.
I sold it to a well know gunsmith (GM) for 25% of what you are asking as i did express i wanted it to go to a good home. I left it with the gunsmith to sell for me in the middle of 2020.
The wood came from johnny Boberg, the barrel was an old BSA one that Bob got when he had a business in Birmingham.
The scope cost me £500 from York Guns as it was a display one.
The trigger was stippled so a sweaty finger would not slide on it when under pressure. The trigger was also reshaped so you could not put your finger behind it so trapping it.
The bolt and action were slicked up and the feed ramp polished.
The iron sights are regulated for 400 grain RWS ammunition.
I had the dies were made in America by CH tool and die.
As an honourable man, which i would hope you are, i would not like to think you are trading on gullible people to line your velvet lined pocket.
I can of course, and am willing to, fully substantiate all of my assertions.

Stalker 91.
The rifle for sale was built for me by Bob. I was going to Africa but a close family death has made me rethink my plans.
The rifle did not cost anywhere close to £12k infact no where near half that amount.
I sold it to a well know gunsmith (GM) for 25% of what you are asking as i did express i wanted it to go to a good home. I left it with the gunsmith to sell for me in the middle of 2020.
The wood came from johnny Boberg, the barrel was an old BSA one that Bob got when he had a business in Birmingham.
The scope cost me £500 from York Guns as it was a display one.
The trigger was stippled so a sweaty finger would not slide on it when under pressure. The trigger was also reshaped so you could not put your finger behind it so trapping it.
The bolt and action were slicked up and the feed ramp polished.
The iron sights are regulated for 400 grain RWS ammunition.
I had the dies were made in America by CH tool and die.
As an honourable man, which i would hope you are, i would not like to think you are trading on gullible people to line your velvet lined pocket.
I can of course, and am willing to, fully substantiate all of my assertions.

Hi Les,

Thank you for the more accurate information you have given as it would seem I have been miss informed. I was told why the rifle was being sold so my condolences. But the other information I had were estimates from other gun makers when I was trying to get it valued.

I bought the rifle on a whim and did not need it so over lockdown I went through all my shooting stuff and thought it was best to clear out and hunt instead of collecting more guns ect.

I have not got “velvet lined pockets” like you suggest, I work in construction just like millions of others and work 6-7 days a week to pay for my hunting. I am nothing but honourable that is why I will now not be selling the rifle now and the gentleman that was buying the rifle I will inform him of all this as I never want to be that person.

Thank you for you in put and if you can pm me any more of the information in the rifle I would be very grateful.

Without Prejudice.
Stalker 91 I notice on your correspondence dated the 5th of February you say you found out the original build price of £12k was given to you by the original owner.. I was the original owner and you never spoke to me, infact we have never had any contact. I would like to inform the forum that i have never been contacted by Stalker 91, he did not get the original build price from me and i totally divorce myself from Stalker 91 and any statements made on this forum with regard to the sale of this rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg